Lord Bookwyrm

White Sand presents a contradiction

19 posts in this topic

So one of the first things we learn about in White Sand is that Taldain is tidally locked to it's star. This means that the Dayside should be (very) much too hot to live on, and the Nightside should be (very) much too cold to live on. The only reason I can think of that makes at least a little sense is that some of the energy that should be given out from the sun is actually converted into Investiture, which is why Sand always turns white again, if left in the sun. For this to work, lnvestiture would actually have to be a form of energy, as there has to be a lot of energy converted for Taldain not to be too hot, and for it to be converted in the first place, it would have to be a form of energy. However, this means that the Nightside would be even colder. Taldain does not look like a very nice place to live. The only other explanation that i can think of is that Autonomy fiddled with the anatomy of the humans who live there (TLR 2.0) or that he fiddled with the planet, e.g. made the planet with varying levels of thickness in the atmosphere so that the thermal energy reflected by the white sand (some kind of effect, where infrared radiation gets reflected by the colour white, can't remember what it's called), and it gets bounced all the way back to the Nightside. What do you think?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arcanum Unbounded presents a few details about the Taldain system. Bear with me whilst I check.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignore this post. I just did a bit more research that makes this irrelevant. Please IGNORE THIS POST!!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2017 at 0:09 PM, Lord Bookworm said:

Ignore this post. I just did a bit more research that makes this irrelevant. Please IGNORE THIS POST!!!

But what was the research? I HAVE TO KNOW!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Lord Bookworm said:

Arcanum Unbounded

 

I'm assuming that's where you learned about darksides sun? I had a similar "oh, that makes sense" moment. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before that, I was like 'how is everybody not dead? They should be roasted alive!!!'*

*or frozen into blocks of ice

Edited by Lord Bookworm
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brandon really puts a lot of work and thought into making his worldbuilding work on a physics level (more or less). Take a look at all the s**t he did to make his idea of Bridge-crews work in SA (short version: gravity on Roshar had to be 0.6 of Earth gravity to make it work).

And where he does use magic to make things work, it is within the ruleset of his Cosmere metaphysics.

Say what you want about his books, but the dude's work-ethic and worldbuilding-ethics (if that is even a word) are impressive !

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2018 at 3:03 AM, MountainKing said:

But what is brandon's explanation?

Darkside has a suns too, simply it is irradiate by an not visible light. Actually Darkside is full of (and heated by) UV.

So Taldain orbits around two binary stars placed into an incredible well calibrated orbid

Edited by Yata
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, however, even if there was only one star, there could be atmospheric possibilities of scattering the heat, but the large ocean on Taldain distributes heat across the planet through ocean current.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2017 at 1:14 PM, Aether said:

Brandon really puts a lot of work and thought into making his worldbuilding work on a physics level (more or less). Take a look at all the s**t he did to make his idea of Bridge-crews work in SA (short version: gravity on Roshar had to be 0.6 of Earth gravity to make it work).

And where he does use magic to make things work, it is within the ruleset of his Cosmere metaphysics.

Say what you want about his books, but the dude's work-ethic and worldbuilding-ethics (if that is even a word) are impressive !

It's actually .7 Earth gravity ;)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However, the two suns present another problem. You see, Taldain should be far hotter than it is - a planet needs time to cool down, usually at night. A tidally locked planet with one sun should be more or less inhabitable in the twilight zones, because it is heated on dayside and radiates excess heat on the darkside. Taldain, however, doesn't have a zone to cool down, and should have been grilled a long time ago.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alfa said:

However, the two suns present another problem. You see, Taldain should be far hotter than it is - a planet needs time to cool down, usually at night. A tidally locked planet with one sun should be more or less inhabitable in the twilight zones, because it is heated on dayside and radiates excess heat on the darkside. Taldain, however, doesn't have a zone to cool down, and should have been grilled a long time ago.

 

The Darkside sun is smaller, weaker, and obscured by a particulate ring.  (per the wiki page)

Quote

aldain is the sole planet inhabiting the Taldain System. It is tidally locked and located at a Lagrange point[2] such that Dayside always faces the larger star while Darkside always faces the smaller, weak star, which is obscured by the Particulate Ring. A single moon, Nizh Da, is in a polar orbit around the planet.[1]

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taldain's situation between two stars means that neither star can be anywhere near the strength and intensity if our own. 

Everything about Taldain screams artificial construction. The second sun, and the planet itself being locked in a synchronous orbit. The distances between the two suns and their intensities allowing for an equilibrium in temperature to occur. 

The likelihood of Taldain's situation occurring naturally is so small as to be impossible. This has to be a system designed if not by Adonalsium itself, then by Autonomy. The world is sitting on the head of a pin between a multitude of balance points. It all makes sense, but is statistically improbable. 

Edited by Calderis
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2018 at 6:07 AM, Alfa said:

However, the two suns present another problem. You see, Taldain should be far hotter than it is - a planet needs time to cool down, usually at night. A tidally locked planet with one sun should be more or less inhabitable in the twilight zones, because it is heated on dayside and radiates excess heat on the darkside. Taldain, however, doesn't have a zone to cool down, and should have been grilled a long time ago.

This comes up a lot. Presumably the fact that Taldain is mostly an ocean helps keep Dayside cool. Plus, as Calderis said, I suppose you could place it far enough away that Dayside doesn't get cooked anyways.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8.1.2018 at 1:33 PM, Yata said:

Darkside has a suns too, simply it is irradiate by an not visible light. Actually Darkside is full of (and heated by) UV.

Ohh! So that explains the skin color differential! I did notice it, and hoped there was an in-universe explanation rather than just artistic license.

On 14.3.2018 at 2:39 PM, Calderis said:

Everything about Taldain screams artificial construction.

And Trell, who has long been theorized to be associated with Autonomy, turns out to be a construction worker in Volume 2! Coincidence? I think not!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2018 at 9:39 AM, Calderis said:

Everything about Taldain screams artificial construction. The second sun, and the planet itself being locked in a synchronous orbit. The distances between the two suns and their intensities allowing for an equilibrium in temperature to occur. 

 

I just stumbled across this WOB that confirms Shardic involvement:

 

Quote

 

Questioner

The placement of Taldain, the solar system, was it done by someone?

Brandon Sanderson

So...Taldain, yes.

Questioner

Has it to do with the travel in the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Not 100%. That's a side effect

source

 

 
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.