Awesome things fullborns could do

King Cole

4 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Mental Health isn't really something that F-Gold covers.

I know gold covers Spiritual, (various WoB about Shardblades and Hemalurgy) and Physical, so it would make sense if gold healed Mental as well.

1 hour ago, MRex said:

I know gold covers Spiritual, (various WoB about Shardblades and Hemalurgy) and Physical, so it would make sense if gold healed Mental as well.

I think Brandon has that as an intentional no. The Cognitive filters physical healing from the Spiritual, and we have no idea how Cognitive healing or wounding really occurs. But there is this. 

Stormlight spoilers. 

Spoiler

PallonianFire

If a Shard were to heal the cracks in someone's spiritweb, like Sazed did with Spook, and that person who was getting healed has a Nahel bond, would that break the bond?

Brandon Sanderson

No, because the Nahel bond is already filling in those cracks, so you would have to rip it off to put something else in there.

PallonianFire

So it wouldn't really be-- the Shard wouldn't be able to heal--

Brandon Sanderson

Well, the Shard-- Like, here's the thing we have to get at with this, what we're getting at, which is the question of, for instance, is Kaladin's depression a flaw in him that needs to be healed? And that is a question for philosophers. There are certainly people, cosmere and outside the cosmere, that say "Yes, this needs to be healed" and things like this. But what about somebody who's-- say, someone who is autistic, and their mind just works in a different way, and this way allows a certain bond to happen that couldn't otherwise happen? Is that a flaw, or is that-- is it a bug or a feature, to speak in coding terms? Is what's up with Kaladin a bug or a feature? I know that my wife would probably get rid of her depression if she could, but it's also been fundamental in how she sees the world and who she is, would that change her into a different person? And things like this. So, I want you when you discuss this, to be very careful about treating mental illness as a flaw as opposed to an aspect of a human personality that allows certain different things to happen. Does that make sense? *applause*

PallonianFire

The way I was sort of thinking, was, could Odium say, "Oh, I'm just going to fix this" and then you can't Surgebind anymore?

Brandon Sanderson

Right, right, yeah. If he-- if there w-- that is possible, but it would be hard to do without the consent of the person, but that is possible… You can fix somebody in a way that they didn't want to be fixed, and it would ruin things.

On 9/28/2017 at 0:03 AM, MRex said:

In addition to the WoB Calderis posted, we also have Miles as an example. We get to see fairly clearly that compounding gold had some strange negative effects on him by itself. Even Wax says "being nearly unkillable can do strange things to a man's sense of self preservation" about Wayne, at one point.

If feruchemical gold isn't even able to negate it's own negative effects, I don't think it would help with any other kind of mental health problem either.

I think that since you have to sleep to fill bronze, not just be extra tired, tapping bronze does all the sleep things for you. I saw this TED talk where it explained the lymph-like system in the brain that pretty much only functions in sleep.

Being tired to fill bronze would cover that, but Sazed's internal thoughts said you enter a coma-like state, maybe granting all the benefits of sleep when you tap bronze. The only negative effect of bronze here would be the feeling of loneliness during the times when no one else is awake and you don't have much to do.

Were the negative effects of gold that The One Who Connects mentioned just the mental delusions of having incredible healing power? Because that would be on par with bronze's effect of disillusionment: an effect that is not directly from the power, but the having of such power.

PS How do you use "having" in a sentence like that without sounding like High Imperial?

On 10/6/2017 at 1:47 PM, Walin said:

Were the negative effects of gold that The One Who Connects mentioned just the mental delusions of having incredible healing power? Because that would be on par with bronze's effect of disillusionment: an effect that is not directly from the power, but the having of such power.

That I mentioned? All I said was "mental health isn't something F-Gold covers." The big self-quote was from another topic about Bronze Compounding.

On 10/6/2017 at 1:47 PM, Walin said:

PS How do you use "having" in a sentence like that without sounding like High Imperial?

From.    "..of disillusionment: an effect that isn't directly from the power, but from having the power."

• Chaos locked this topic