Mid-Range Game 24: Baleful Eye

Seonid

Alright. All of the doc links have been edited in.  Later today or tomorrow, I'll do a comprehensive listing of all of the items and epic powers in the game.

And this game certainly deserves a detailed retrospective. I will do that in a day or two also.

1 hour ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Wow, that was a fascinating game! I achieved my win-con, and Len was actually telling the truth!

Starsight...? Corrupted form of Baleflight? Ripple, could you explain?

And to everyone, this was lots and lots of fun! Thank you for playing!

Nope, I was truthful in saying that I wasn't Balelight. It was more of a Prof situation where at the beginning of the game, I could gift my powers to other players, like Elithanthile that first round. This reduced my corruption points. I gained corruption points when using my own ability, which was a roleblock that could double as a kill, with the cost of more corruption points. After I killed Crimsn thinking, "Ah, this must be the counterpoint to my own role," since she also had the extra life and was supposed to track down a target to kill, I soon became entirely corrupt and my win con switched from survive to kill any and all threats to my rule over the city. The switch of win condition triggered by a cycle of inactivity (I could technically have reduced my corruption points, but I forgot to send in actions one round) was a really cool design choice on Seonid's part, and led me to be a lot more active in the game. I've never been wonderful at keeping up with everything in SE, but the win con switch kept me playing.

The sad thing is, if I remained uncorrupted, I would have won. C'est la vie.

The moment where I realized that I was the SK everyone was talking about was also fantastic. Thank you Seonid for an excellent game!

I've got a few game thoughts:

1. I'm amazed that I made it out alive. I started the game with no info, no items, and the objective of killing over 1/3 of the living players. Luckily I got mostly overlooked, so my win had a lot of luck.

2. Drake, I know I told everyone that I lynched you based on a plot, but I actually did it by accident after retracting the wrong vote. Sorry about that. But I enjoyed the battle of wits while it lasted.

3. Ripple, was it you who kept Roleblocking me?

4. As a fun fact, the entire game I never performed a successful action.

5. Yes, I was actually a Loyal Citizen!

13 minutes ago, Elenion said:

1. I'm amazed that I made it out alive. I started the game with no info, no items, and the objective of killing over 1/3 of the living players. Luckily I got mostly overlooked, so my win had a lot of luck.

2. Drake, I know I told everyone that I lynched you based on a plot, but I actually did it by accident after retracting the wrong vote. Sorry about that. But I enjoyed the battle of wits while it lasted.

I roleblocked you once, out of fear that you were going to kill me the cycle before last. Other than that, I mostly just used my power to kill people.

You did die, technically. My last act of the game. You still won though, so congrats for that!

EDIT: I was super tempted just to reveal my role and explain why I would make a better ruler than Balelight, but then I was informed that the lynch counted as a threat against my rule of the city. It would have been absolutely hilarious though. XD

Edited by RippleGylf

48 minutes ago, Elenion said:

Just fyi, you started the game with the win con of killing 4/26 players (I missed that you included the epic cabal in your question - you were aligned with them). Over the course of the game, 2 more were added to that list.

Fun fact,  there were no serial killers to start with.  All of them were created over the course of the game.

1 hour ago, Seonid said:

Just fyi, you started the game with the win con of killing 4/26 players (I missed that you included the epic cabal in your question - you were aligned with them). Over the course of the game, 2 more were added to that list.

Oh, I thought I had to make sure the Cabal were destroyed too. That makes my win con sound more manageable.

I genuinely don't know how the entire Cabal got killed one by one. Pissed me off, that's for sure. How did that even happen?

But still, good game. I find it funny that neither "major" faction got their wincon... :P

Alv, were you our informant?

Or was it you, Len?

EDIT: Also, I'm kind of surprised. Why did Rebecca not revive anyone? Had plenty o' chances.

As a sidenote, when Seonid told me "If you don't get revived I'll give you a spec doc link" I was genuinely stunned. A game with revival could be a GMs nightmare :P

Edited by Eternum

15 hours ago, Eternum said:

How did you figure out they were PK anyway? Because PK told us you'd guessed their identity.

Simple.  I guessed.  I knew Lemon was lying about the number of Epics in the group and given the number of dead Epics by that stage of the game, PK being my new contact was fairly obvious.  He did after all just tell me that he was an Epic.

20 hours ago, Elenion said:

Oh, I thought I had to make sure the Cabal were destroyed too. That makes my win con sound more manageable.

Nah I lied about that.

Well, I didn't actually lie, per se. I may have mentioned that I made an effort not to tell a straight lie in this game.

But I gave you the wrong idea, shall we say?

The vote retraction business was unfortunate, but ah well.

It was very fun working with Alvron in our doc.

Some of those neutral roles were a blast.

Although, I PMed Flash as early as I could, and he never responded :(

I tried to get Alv and Mark to not kill each other, but it was difficult, since I had reasons not to want to reveal one to the other. Plus I could only spend so much time trying to find a solution to this.

It was interesting with this many neutrals. In some sense, I felt a little cornered, because, while I could appeal to everybody as much as I wanted, most of them simply didn't care if I was a reckoner or not. And wouldn't bother risking it by taking a side.

But as I said before, some of those neutral roles were also fantastically fun, so. There's definitely that.

Plus, our enemies no doubt had the same problem. I just didn't have the presence of mind to accuse somebody before I myself was accused... I was more focused on directing our faction kill. That was, perhaps, a mistake. Although I do feel slightly accomplished in that a few cycles ago, I guessed the 3 remaining cabal members and 2/3 of my guesses were accurate.

In any case, it's been a fun game. Well done, Seonid. I'm sure this was a hectic game to GM but I think it came off well.

Well played, to all y'alls.

Also to my fellow reckoners, it's been an honor. Y'alls were good team mates.

Edited by Drake Marshall

This game was a blast! Thanks Seonid for keeping us in the dark and causing a ton of rp with all the neutrals haha. XD I was more disappointed that I couldn't rp any more when I died than I was about the fact that I didn't meet my win con. :P

Good game to everyone who won! And thanks everyone for being so active in rp! :)

I protected Elithanathile the first cycle and then Ecthelion every cycle after that because I was set on keeping the role play alive haha.....also I wanted Scotty to die protecting Robin in the writeup but alas I was role blocked, robbed, and murdered all in the same cycle. xD This really was a terrifying city wasn't it. Haha