Mid-Range Game 24: Baleful Eye

Seonid

MR24: Baleful Eye

Mirialis was a large city, as far as cities went in the Fractured States. It had another name before Calamity, of course. But after the Capitulation Act, when the High Epics began to carve their own little empires out of what had been the American Heartland, things had changed. A lot. Steelheart ruled in Newcago. Regalia in Babilar. Perseus in Persepolis. Lightwards in his Empire of Light.

In Mirialis, that meant Balelight.

She was an elusive figure, even in the city she ruled. She made sporadic public appearances, in her impressive uniform and demonstrating her Epic powers that could blast a man dead at half a mile away, or burn an office tower to nothing in mere minutes. But nobody saw her outside of those appearances. Her lieutenants, many of them powerful Epics in their own right, did the same thing. Anonymity was the rule of the game in Mirialis.

Of course, that meant that anyone you met on the street could be a powerful Epic, the upholders of stability in a land that had fallen into chaos, in disguise. Or they could be a subversive dissident intent on undermining the rightful order of things. Or, from another point of view, anyone you met on the street could be a fanatical informant serving the brutal and oppressive regime, or a valiant freedom fighter attempting to bring the criminal rulers of the city to justice. Points of view were tricky that way. Push them just a little bit, and everything looked different.

Either way you looked at it, talking to any of them could get you killed. Deliberately avoiding them probably would too.

So the citizens of Mirialis went about their daily business in silence. Fearful deference to each other was the standard approach to whatever interaction could not be avoided.

So it had been for ten long years since Calamity appeared. Hopefully it would stay that way. After all, living in fear was a sight better than not living at all.

Welcome to MR24: Baleful Eye! This game will be co-GMed by Elbereth and I.

This game is being run as a blackout game, sometimes also called a Closed Setup. For those who may not be familiar with the term, it means that there will be no information given about the available roles, abilities, or win conditions present in the game. Just a warning - this game, more than any others I've run, may not be balanced. I hope, however, that it will be fun. Expect shenanigans... :ph34r:

No...seriously. I meant what I said. No information about the setup will be given. Even what the teams are called.

*Sigh* You still here? Still not going to say anything. Nothing at all.

You really want to know, don't you? Well then, I guess you'd better sign up and play!

Signups for this game will last until Saturday, August 12 at 10:00 AM, Mountain Daylight Time. Cycles will be 48 hour combined Day/Night, and turnover time should be the same time as the end of signups. No guarantees, though.

bla_1503158400.png

Player List:

1. [REDACTED] - Paranoid King, person who specializes in collecting relics.
  2. Starshatter and Birdrider - Winter Devotion, star crossed Australian runaways. 
  3. Jon - Jondesu, amazing with computers but absolutely useless when it comes to talking to people
  4. Mark - Mark IV
  5. Biff - Elenion, a street salesman in the wrong place at the wrong time
  6. Sandra Kensington - Sami, weapons manufacturer with dark secret
  7. Rashers - Majestic, a bacon-summoning Epic
  8. Impulse - The Flash
  9. Shockwave - King Cole, Epic with a terrible singing voice
  10. Matt - Shqueeves, orphan who never knew anything better
  11. Anonymous - Alvron, The Collective will ensure you never know anything about him
  12. Silver Feather - Roadwalker
  13. Tammy - Rebecca, the accidental daughter of Obliteration (:o)
  14. Amy Scott - Brightness Radiant, out of place punster
  15. Nameless Character I - Drake Marshall
  16. Annabelle - Lemonelon, an "engineer"
  17. Sol - Eternum
  18. Lightwood - RippleGylf
  19. Outblack - Hemalurgic_Headshot
  20. Falchion - Elithanathile
  21. Cranium - Frozen Mint
  22. Annoan - Megasif
  23. Nameless Character II - Ecthelion III
  24. Pickle - asterion137, a small - time thief
  25. Altea Meza - Crimsn_Wolf, a petite young drifter
  26. Fess - Arinian

Quick Links:

I'll be signing up as Mark, I guess.
If you thought you'd find white text here ...
you would be right.

Are the turnover times and cycle/turn lengths also PAFO? ( I mean, I'm guessing they are, from what's in the OP :P )

Edited by Mark IV

Just now, Mark IV said:

I'll be signing up as Mark, I guess. 

Are the turnover times and cycle/turn lengths also PAFO? ( I mean, I'm guessing they are, from what's in the OP)

Welcome back! That's a name I haven't seen in a long time.

Sorry - that didn't make it in the OP; I'll put it there now.

This game will be 48-hour combined Day/Night cycles (what I've come to consider standard for MR games). Turnover time will be...well...my schedule is kind of in flux at the moment. The current plan is for 10AM Mountain Daylight Time (GMT-6). I'm likely to be starting a new job during the course of the game. The current turnover time is planned around what I expect my schedule to be, but I make no guarantees. If the time needs to change, it will. Most likely 2nd choice for a time would be 11:30 PM, same time zone.

1 minute ago, Arraenae said:

How many Reckoners RP references will there be?

Well, I haven't participated in that for two years or more, so I'm kind of behind the times over there.

But expect a few. Nighthound will be referenced as the epitome of ultimate evil. Zombie dinosaurs might even show up in a writeup. Quota might. I even considered setting this in Portland and using the RP characters. But getting permission from their creators and then working out how it could make a good SE game seemed like too much work and too little time.

I have games coming up though. There may be a WHIO SE crossover game in the future.

I seem to have found myself without a game. That must be remedied at once!

Signing up as Biff, a street salesman in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Warning: I haven't gotten around to reading Reckoners, so while I've heard some things about the magic system I likely won't be able to RP much if at all.

Ooh. This is interesting.

I wanna join, but IDK how well I'll manage this and LG37 at the same time.

Might decide to join later, but for now I'll wait and see.

EDIT: What's this about zombie dinosaurs? Why are you stealing Harry Dresden's shtick? :P

...now I want a Dresden Files game..

Edited by Eternum

34 minutes ago, Eternum said:

EDIT: What's this about zombie dinosaurs? Why are you stealing Harry Dresden's shtick? :P

...now I want a Dresden Files game..

See: Lightwards, master of the Empire of Light in Portland. Power set includes reanimating the dead, and rising from the dead himself. He rules from the converted Museum of Natural History, where he reanimated the fossils on display there.

More information can be found in the Reckoners RP section of this site.

Dude yes!

Sandra Kensington works in a weapons manufacturing plant and has a respectable family, but hidden deep in her closet resides an assortment of most dangerous looking equipment that hints at a darker life behind the curtain...

Signing up as Anonymous.  Nothing is known about this mysterious figure.  Are they male or female?  Or something else entirely?  Are they an Epic or just someone trying to pass themselves off as an Epic?  Stay tuned to possibly not find out. 
A riddle wrapped in a mystery, stuffed inside an enigma, drizzled with conundrum and tied with a pretty ribbon of obfuscation.