Long Game 37: Forest Thread

Day 1: Everyone loves a good old fashioned Man Hunt right?

“Everyone be QUIET!”

The bestial yell sounded over the tumult of the forest clearing. It sounded above the Rojat’s lamentations and above joyful calls of the Fae. It quieted the Ogres and the Trolls. Every creature in the forest turned to see the great Wolf Spirit Ysengrin loping into the clearing, holding aloft a metallic body. He stopped at the edge of the gathering, and, with all eyes on him, threw the body into the midst of the gathered creatures. Many backed away in fear and surprise. Others slunk their way forward, either enraged or out of cat killing curiosity. All stared at the broken robot.

“Despite our Lord’s intervention, the Humans are still attempting to interfere in our lives. They are still attempting to force their order upon us!” He paced forward, his great oaken feet thudding into the forest floor as he walked forward to the fallen robot. “The human who built this mechanical monstrosity is still here, among us. Pretending to be one of us!”

The gathered Forest dwellers, with a few notable exceptions, roared their approval. A few, the ones that were closest to the edge, and had therefore noticed Coyote rolling with laughter, were silent.

“Ysengrin! It’s very rude of you to spoil my surprise like that!”

The Forest dwellers turned as one to face their Lord, rolling around on the grass like a child and laughing.  He rolled to his feet and bounded to the center of the clearing, landing on the tips of Ysengrin’s exasperated head.

“Lord Coyote, what surprise is that exactly?”

“Thank you Ysengrin! Hello everyone! As your lord, I must of course look after your wellbeing and happiness, and I know that many of you were disappointed that I separated the court and the Woods, as you so much enjoyed the hunting of the spirits! So I went and explained your worries to Sir young, and he told me ‘Coyote?! How did you get in here? This place is supposed to be secure!’ So we made a deal, and he sent some humans over here to hide. This Robot was made by one of them, let me find him.”

Coyote stretched, spiraling under the feet of many of the forest dwellers. He condensed himself under a creature absolutely covered in leaves, and leapt back into the center, dumping the poor man as he went.

“This engineer! Magus Astrum is his name, and he decided to glue leaves onto himself to pretend to be a Ent. You’ll have to find the others yourself, but enjoy yourself everyone!”

Coyote bounced away as Magus desperately raised his arms and plead his innocence to deaf ears.

Magus Astrum (Magestar) was lynched! He was a Engineer!

Day One has started. You have 48 hours to decide who you want to lynch and who you wish to represent you as Medium. Good luck.

(Quick reminder, PMs cannot be sent during the day, unless you’re the Air Elemental.)

bla_1502596800.png

Quick Links:

Player List:

1. Sean (Polkinghornbd)
  2. Reginald Canuk (Dalinar Kholin)
  3. Marv (Hemalurgic Headshot)
  4. The Inspector (Paranoid King)
  5. Kintas (Jondesu)
  6. Straw (Straw)
  7. Bart Allen (Flash)
  8. Rendren (cloudjumper)
  9. Koru (Doc12)
  10. Jordren (Majestic)
  11. Araris Valerian (Araris Valerian)
  12. Noah (Eternum)
  13. Fess (Arinian)
  14. . . . (Lady of Chaos)
  15. Tautali Laust (Megasif)
  16. Centaurus (Darkness Ascendant)
  17. Stick (Stick)

The inspector looked around, noting the many features of the landscape.

"This dirt," he said, "is very... Dirty. Take that as a complement. I have been to many forests, but this one has incredibly real dirt." 

He stamped his foot a few times. 

"So... Yup. And these trees are very looming. That must have taken a lot of effort. Could use some better lighting, though."

He pulled a notepad out of his pocket, and checked off a few boxes. "Yes, this forest has it all! Trees, rocks, and dirt."

He picked up a stone, then dropped it.

"And gravity still works here, which is a plus. Yes, I would recommend this place over the court any day."

---

Anyways, I have no idea what I'm doing, so I'd like to nominate Koru to be our medium. I'm sure he'll do a fine job.

Edited by Paranoid King

Greetings, my name is Koru, and it is excellent to join in this great hunt today.

However, lord Coyote, I have quite a few question about the medium role, namely because I aim to take on this role. I find it most expedient that we have some form of contact with the Court, and I do volunteer to take on this responsibility. 

First of all, my Lord, how exactly does one vote for a medium? Ah, many thanks, Inspector, you honor me with your trust. As I was saying, should we have a color if we are to vote for a medium, and a different one for a vote to strip the medium? (My Lord, this sniggering is unbecoming) Can two votes go on in the same cycle, as in voting for the takedown of one medium while simultaneously choosing another? 

Come to think of it, is the role of medium a must? What happens if we allow anarchy to reign and simply do not speak to the Court? Begging your pardon, my Lord, I do not mean to question your judgement. 

Furthermore, I have questions about the win condition of this medium. You have stated that unless this medium is a member of court, he becomes neutral. What then is this neutral medium's win condition? Who does he win with? 

Lastly, I must ask about this Protector of the Forest role. My Lord, you have said that the medium appoints this new Protector from the woods. However, what if we have chosen wrong? What if we by our flawed judgement elect a Protector from the ranks of those filthy Courtsmen hiding between us? Would they lose their Court win con and become dedicated only to the survival of their Medium? Or would we simply be told that this person is ineligible to be chosen as a Protector? In this case, they would almost certainly be revealed as Courtsmen.

Lord Coyote, lend us your wisdom, please. 

Spoiler

Basically,

I am campaigning to become Medium 

1. How do we vote for a medium? 

2. Can we choose to strip a medium and vote for a new one in the same day?

3. What happens if we choose not to elect a medium?

4. What is the win con of a neutral Medium?

5. What happens if a medium chooses the a member of court as protector?

Mighty and Merciful Joe, I call upon your mighty wisdom

Thank you all for listening, and I look forward to a mighty hunt indeed.

2 minutes ago, Doc12 said:

First of all, my Lord, how exactly does one vote for a medium? Ah, many thanks, Inspector, you honor me with your trust. As I was saying, should we have a color if we are to vote for a medium, and a different one for a vote to strip the medium? Teeheehee (My Lord, this sniggering is unbecoming(So is Clothing)) Can two votes go on in the same cycle, as in voting for the takedown of one medium while simultaneously choosing another? 

You raise very good question Koru!  If anyone has a vote for they think the Medium is, please, toss a rock or something into one of these Blue boxes that have their name on them. A Medium is stripped from power whenever a new medium is chosen.

5 minutes ago, Doc12 said:

Come to think of it, is the role of medium a must? What happens if we allow anarchy to reign and simply do not speak to the Court? Begging your pardon, my Lord, I do not mean to question your judgement. 

Nothing at all! But of course, I could not allow anyone to have power over the forest if there is no Medium! And I'm certain that the Court will feel no such inhibitions as to hoarding power.

6 minutes ago, Doc12 said:

Furthermore, I have questions about the win condition of this medium. You have stated that unless this medium is a member of court, he becomes neutral. What then is this neutral medium's win condition? Who does he win with?

Why to foster peace of course. Is that not the stated goal of all Mediums? Personally, i find peace boring, but I'm willing to give it a shot!

7 minutes ago, Doc12 said:

Lastly, I must ask about this Protector of the Forest role. My Lord, you have said that the medium appoints this new Protector from the woods. However, what if we have chosen wrong? What if we by our flawed judgement elect a Protector from the ranks of those filthy Courtsmen hiding between us? Would they lose their Court win con and become dedicated only to the survival of their Medium? Or would we simply be told that this person is ineligible to be chosen as a Protector? In this case, they would almost certainly be revealed as Courtsmen.

Why are you assuming there are only humans working against you dear Koru? There are Curious Forest Dwellers who have made deals with the Humans as well. Anyone can become the Guardian of the Medium. They would not lose their goal of ensuring the Gillitie destroy us, but they would also need to keep our medium alive.

12 minutes ago, Doc12 said:

Basically,

I am campaigning to become Medium 

1. How do we vote for a medium? 

2. Can we choose to strip a medium and vote for a new one in the same day?

3. What happens if we choose not to elect a medium?

4. What is the win con of a neutral Medium?

5. What happens if a medium chooses the a member of court as protector?

Mighty and Merciful Joe, I call upon your mighty wisdom

1. Put their name in Blue for now.

2. Yes.

3. Nothing.

4. PAFO

5. The Court member must continue to kill the woods creatures, while ensuring the Survival of the medium.

Thank you for the RP Doc (And PK)

From his position on the side of a tree, Araris frowned at Lord Coyote's words. How would humans hide in the forest? Surely Ysengrin would have sniffed them out easily. No matter. Any trespassers would likely be sticking to the shadows, and Araris knew the shadows like the back of his hand. Well, it was hard to see the back of his hand, since it was always pressed against something, but surely it looked the same as the front.

While most people thought of shade as, well, flat, here in the Forest, darkness was not confined to the dirt and trees. The air itself was full of the essence of shadows, and things that weren't started to be, in the corners of your eyes. This was his home, though, and he was safe among the shadows. Soon, the same would not be true for outsiders. Araris set out in search of just the right shadow. After all, if the Forest had intruders, he would need a sword.

@A Joe in the Bush What happens if the Medium dies? Does the Protector just lose the game, since they have failed their win con?

I'm going to hold off on voting for the Medium for now. I'll consider from the people that seem to want the role that are also contributing to the discussion. For that matter, I'm going to start with a vote on PK. There is a lot of power that can change hands between the Medium and the Protector. I don't like that you are willing to support a specific person this early in the first cycle.

Hmm. A valid point. I could very well be trying to get the medium to choose me as a protector. As the first vote on the medium, I might be considered for the role. And if I'm not on your team, things might go poorly for you. So how about this: doc won't offer me the protector role, and I won't take it. I probably don't have the time anyways. How does that sound, @Doc12?

I see no problem otherwise with giving power to someone with the time and desire to use it. I feel like an active medium could be very helpful for us. If you suspect that doc is the air elemental and messaged me asking for my support, I can tell you that he didn't. (And I really don't have any reason to lie here.)

I think I've addressed your concerns by now? I feel like appointing a medium early on is a better choice than lynching someone early on would be. And since you seem to be ready to lynch, I'm ready to appoint. Speaking of which, Koru.

34 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

I'm going to hold off on voting for the Medium for now. I'll consider from the people that seem to want the role that are also contributing to the discussion. For that matter, I'm going to start with a vote on PK. There is a lot of power that can change hands between the Medium and the Protector. I don't like that you are willing to support a specific person this early in the first cycle.

Is voting early really that suspicious? I know you are just talking about the Medium but it's kinda the same thing. In that case, your vote on PK falls in the same category.

Edited by Megasif

I have heard murmurings from the Court on the dual nature of our hunt, and I for one do feel the need to discuss this. This, my friends, is precisely why I seek to take on the role of Medium, that I can discuss these proceedings directly, as well as be aware of what is happening on both sides. 

Now, our people are positioned in the Court, risking their lives to expose its lies. We know that if they are stamped out, the Court would have won, no matter how well we were doing in the Forest. We of course, must not allow this to happen! My friends, if it appears that our allies in the Court are faring badly, is it not our responsibility to the Coyote that we take the Test, and support our brothers on the other side? Is it not to our benefit and to a satisfying hunt that we stop the Court from putting an early end to our little game?

Now, of course, there are some problems. Namely that if one of us takes the test and dies a loyal spirit, we would be resurrected on the other side with a 60% chance of remaining a loyal forest spirit. I do not think the Court would take the 40% chance that we have converted to our side. It would be extremely difficult to gain trust, and if sides must be switched, I recommend doing so only when the Court is not chafing and searching for a target. What shall we do, brothers? This question is linked to the next, and perhaps by answering that question we shall know what to do.

This next question pertains to those members of the Court who seek to take the Test as well. Brothers, are we to take the chance that they have fully come to our side, or are we to trust in the 60% rule that they are likely to remain what they are after death? Do we immediately seek to lynch them? For this, I move a resounding yes if they died a loyal Court member. We have a 40% chance of losing a new recruit and a 60% chance of denying the Court another member into our forest!

Of course, this also brings in an unusual application of the Test, that is, to escape! Brothers in the Court, I lay before you this proposition. If you are of us, and you are on track to be lynched and destroyed, take the Test, and return to us, where you will be safe. It is an escape route, but only use it if you are certain there is no escape fro the lynch, for you would deny your team in the court a member. 

The Lord Coyote having answered my question, I shall put in my vote Koru

To the Inspector, my friend! How noble of you to choose to deny any offer of being a Protector. However, I must point out this proves nothing if we were indeed on the same Court team, for there are bound to be more of us, and you choosing not to accept the Guardian role does not stop me from choosing any other member of our hypothetical team. In short, your offer does not prove anything. 

Spoiler

Basically, 

1. We really should try to balance the game if possible

2. I'm not sure on whether we should go over

3. We should however lynch all those who die a loyal courtsmember in the Court thread

4. Forest spirits in the Court can come over to the Forest when in unescapable danger to escape the lynch 

5. PK's offer proves nothing 

6. Im still voting for myself 

7. Thank you for reading and upvoting :P

You mistake yourself Dear Kuro! It is the other way around. It is the Loyalty to Home that is more likely to stay, rather than Loyalty to Myself or Sir young. 

If a Gillitie person takes the test, there is a 60% chance that their loyalty will switch to being Gunnerkrigg. If a Gunnerkrigg person takes the test, there is a 60% chance of them becoming loyal to me.

3 minutes ago, Doc12 said:

To the Inspector, my friend! How noble of you to choose to deny any offer of being a Protector. However, I must point out this proves nothing if we were indeed on the same Court team, for there are bound to be more of us, and you choosing not to accept the Guardian role does not stop me from choosing any other member of our hypothetical team. In short, your offer does not prove anything. 

Reveal hidden contents

Basically, 

1. We really should try to balance the game if possible

2. I'm not sure on whether we should go over

3. We should however lynch all those who die a loyal courtsmember in the Court thread

4. Forest spirits in the Court can come over to the Forest when in unescapable danger to escape the lynch 

5. PK's offer proves nothing 

6. Im still voting for myself 

7. Thank you for reading and upvoting :P

Koru, if you and I were both members of the court, why would I vote for you before you declared your intentions to apply for medium? Waiting would have given me a reason to vote, and allayed much of the suspicion that Araris has voiced.

Voting before you spoke would draw a connection between us. As a member of the court, there would have been no reason for me to vote that early.

I nominated you as medium because I thought you were the right person for the role. I also feel like I'm more likely to vote on a woodsperson early than I would once the court has had their say, and have tried to twist me into voting a court member as medium.

True, you could still be a member of the court, but it's more likely that you're from the wood, because there are more of us.

I apologize, my Lord Coyote, it appears I have made a simple error. In light of this new revelation, I shall have to rethink my arguments and restate them. Thank you for your correction, my Lord. 

This has shaken me. So much so, that I must do it...I must. break character...

Right, so Doc's an idiot who did not read the rules well enough. Bah. Anyways, what does this mean for balance? This is so confusing >> 

So,if the Gunnerkrigg villagers are taking a beating in the other thread, technically we do not have any motivation to go over, as we would then have a 60% chance of becoming Gunnerkrigg villagers, when in fact we would be able to win by staying Giilite. That make sense?

Vice versa, if a Gunnerkrigg villager comes over, there is a 60% chance that they would become a Giilite villager. Is it worth it to try lynching them to see if they've become instead a Gunnerkrigg eliminator? I think that we should treat anyone who comes over with a healthy amount of suspicion until they're cleared, perhaps by one of our scanning roles. 

Hm, regarding the escape route plan, technically, it still remains an option to those who cannot escape a lynch. Let's see, if you die are a Giilite villager who's in danger of a mislynch, and you choose to die, you will be resurrected as a Gunnerkrigg villager. Not too bad a deal, to be honest, unless you had a unique role. If yo're a Gunnerkrigg eliminator who chooses to die, there's a chance you would be resurrected as a Giilite eliminator in the other thread, but who would trust you then? 

Those are my thoughts for now, I guess. Don't go over to the other thread unless you feel as if you've no other choice, and treat anyone who comes over with suspicion. 

Any thoughts on this?

yeah uh hi everyone

Makes sense that I ended up in the woods, eh? huehuehue

Still trying to wrap my head around the rules so let's see...

So we basically have to find out who here is part of gunnerkrigg- the eliminator faction. Let's do disss

Oh and yeah because the gunnerkrigg peeps in the court thread are villagers, one of us Gillitie(s?) taking the test will probably result in us becoming one of the gunnerkrigg- who are villagers in the court thread. Kind of confusing, but yeah. 

Um yeah about the medium does no one else want to volunteer? I don't have a problem electing doc as the medium but is anyone else interested? If no one else comes up I'll probably vote on doc for it.

more to come later

Well, I'd volunteer if my role didn't make me such a great Protector of the Forest..

IDK if I should just roleclaim lol, nobody would believe me tho

EDIT: After thinking about it, I actually shouldn't become Protector because if I do we'd get one less village kill, I think

Edited by Eternum

Nah, better not to role claim this early.

Oh and about the test, I dont think I intend to take it at all.

#loyaltotheforest

#Gillitlilie4life

And yeah, I reckon the test could be a great escape route for the elims. Take the test and claim to be a villager in the court thread.

Edited by _Stick_
spellings

Maayybee.

Also, don't just trust everything I do because I'm Ysengrin. I'll make a lot of mistakes, probably. This is quite literally my second game. (I think the only reason I was made Ysengrin is to cause some chaos :p) Don't trust Renard either. I asked Joe, and apparently we could have also turned out as Gunnerkrigg, for whatever reason.

I am Gillitie though.

Dunno about Renard, whoever they are.

Edited by Eternum