AnonymousFan

Something I don't understand about Kandra blessings

9 posts in this topic

Ok in Wax and Wayne:

Spoiler

There is a big kerfuffle with the kandra, while they are trying to solve the problem with the rogue Kandra. They start talking about the blessings and how you CANT use the blessing of another Kandra.

But in the original series: *Major spoiler*

Spoiler

TenSoon kills OreSeur and takes his blessing.

Am I missing something? Or is this just a plot hole?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not that they can't, it's that they won't. 

Without the blessing a Kandra is a mistwraith. The blessing is so much a part of what makes them sapient that it is viewed as a literal part of them. 

It would be like using another person's head as a hat. 

It's possible, but it's repulsive. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This also comes up in Bands of Mourning, where they try to give ReLuur someone else's blessings to restore him. It should be noted that he has pewter blessings, which are not one of the four kandra are known to have. (Pewter Hemalurgy steals Feruchemical powers, by the way.) Something odd is going on, and it is possible the kandra are intentionally lying about a great number of things. Not an accidental plot hole, but an intentional discrepancy that points towards a greater mystery.

It's also possible the difference is that TenSoon was never just using OreSeur's, but always had his own. As long as you have your two spikes, your own identity is fine. But if you don't have both spikes to firmly ground you as you, maybe someone else's spikes will do funky things to you.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

It's also possible the difference is that TenSoon was never just using OreSeur's, but always had his own. As long as you have your two spikes, your own identity is fine. But if you don't have both spikes to firmly ground you as you, maybe someone else's spikes will do funky things to you.

That's my understanding. TenSoon was able to use OreSeur's because he already had his own.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

That's my understanding. TenSoon was able to use OreSeur's because he already had his own.

Yes, I remember him having four spikes, and therefore two blessings.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

That's my understanding. TenSoon was able to use OreSeur's because he already had his own.

That is how I've always understood it as well. 

There may be something to the you can't use mixed pairs without issues. So one of your own and one of another's must have issues. Unsure if you just had two of someone else's what that would do. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I viewed this as a part of TenSoon taking on OreSeur's identity.  In order to keep up with Vin the way he needed to in his disguise, he'd need the extra strength from the blessing of potency.  Perhaps taking his blessings as well, in TenSoon's mind, was as much a part of consuming and recreating a kandra as is eating a person and using their bones.

Regardless, there was no expectation with TenSoon's use of OreSeur's blessings that those blessings would be restored to OreSeur.  In that sense, they were forfeited and 'up for grabs.'

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In BoM chapter 3, VenDell said:

Quote

Trying to use someone else’s spikes when you don’t have your own already can provoke radical changes in personality, memory, and temperament.

Emphasis added. So long as the Kandra has their own spikes they can add more, but replacing them doesn't work so well.

How Paalm pulled off switching spikes is yet another mystery, possibly related to the unknown metal she used. Though to be fair she did have some "radical changes in personality, memory, and temperament" going on, so...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-08-15 at 10:25 AM, Tellingdwar said:

In BoM chapter 3, VenDell said:

Emphasis added. So long as the Kandra has their own spikes they can add more, but replacing them doesn't work so well.

How Paalm pulled off switching spikes is yet another mystery, possibly related to the unknown metal she used. Though to be fair she did have some "radical changes in personality, memory, and temperament" going on, so...

Paalm could have created new spikes, that much is easy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.