Next Genre Covered?

So far we've had a few different genres (comedy, superhero, detective) and story ideas from Brandon. Which genre that he hasn't touched yet would you most want to see him tackle?

I'm not going to count sci fi since he's got a couple short stories in there along with the upcoming Mistborn Era 4 trilogy.

It'd be interesting to see him do a historical story. Pretty much it could be someone from one of his contemporary settings gets thrown back in time on their world to a significant historical part of their world or even someone reading up on something historical and we're reading it as well.

I love historical fiction, so I would go with this idea. Among the styles Brandon has touched, detective really is the one I enjoy the less. Mind, I don't enjoy detective stories to begin with, no matter who writes them.

2 hours ago, Draginon said:

I kind of wonder what a horror story by Brandon would be like, especially if it was Cosmere related.

There's a short story he did in a horror collection called Dreamer in a horror collection called Games Creatures Play. 

It's non-cosmere and I haven't read it, but it's worth a look. 

10 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

shadows for silence got pretty gothic and close to a potential horror story.

I was thinking that Shadows for Silence could be considered part of the genre, but I haven't read it yet so I don't know the feeling of it yet.

8 hours ago, Calderis said:

There's a short story he did in a horror collection called Dreamer in a horror collection called Games Creatures Play. 

It's non-cosmere and I haven't read it, but it's worth a look. 

Had to look that up on the Coppermind. It doesn't quite sound like a horror, more of a possession story, but its article is so short I don't know how horrifying it's supposed to be.

8 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I don't think he would ever do it, but I would love for him to try to write a "grimdark" story.

That would be great whether it's grim or a fantasy horror. He's already close with the magic system of Dakhor being body horror and murder so if he upped it just a smidge for Elantris 2, since it's supposed to be in Fjorden, he could have a good fantasy horror story without going straight up horror.

No. No no no. 

No Vampire romance. Vampires are supposed to be scary. Stop sexifying vampires and make them into soulless manipulative evil again please. 

Vampires were a great monster because they could appear human, and were intelligent and alluring and monsters. 

The Dresden Files struck a good balance with this with the three courts, where 1 type of vampire was still mostly human and has the capacity (ridiculously difficult as it is) to try and fight their urges and maintain, but the other two are just flat out monsters. 

/endrant

I have never read and I will never read vampire romance. I went with the flow of the thread that made  the joke. Historical fiction is a different story that I would read in a heart beat with his attention to detail he would make historical fiction epic! 

16 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

@Calderis

Team Edward or Team Jacob??:D

Just to clarify though, vampire romance wasn't really a serious suggestion. A serious answer from me would be: no idea. Brandon already writes my preferred genres, so I am pretty happy.

I knew it was a joke. You :-D was pretty clear. 

I just really really hate that Vampires have been made into this sympathetic creature. 

I grew up reading fantasy, and watching horror. My favorite monsters were vampires and Pennywise. For much the same reasons. They were intelligent and undeniably evil. 

Just now, Calderis said:

I knew it was a joke. You :-D was pretty clear. 

I just really really hate that Vampires have been made into this sympathetic creature. 

I grew up reading fantasy, and watching horror. My favorite monsters were vampires and Pennywise. For much the same reasons. They were intelligent and undeniably evil. 

I just wanted to make it clear to be on the safe side. 

Personally, I don't care much about vampires either way, as monster stories never were my kind of things. I like it when people use old tropes or monsters and change them up to create uniqueness. That said, undeniably evil and intelligent things are always worthy antagonists. 

2 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I just wanted to make it clear to be on the safe side. 

Personally, I don't care much about vampires either way, as monster stories never were my kind of things. I like it when people use old tropes or monsters and change them up to create uniqueness. That said, undeniably evil and intelligent things are always worthy antagonists. 

So ... lawyers antagonists?

I don't care that much for the modern Vampire either. The only vampires I like are Dracula, Angel, Spike and Darren Shan. I just prefer my vamps being either complete monsters or suave and alluring like Dracula or just sticking to the vampire concept of drinking blood and staying out of the sun and not being all pretty. But my favorite monster has to be the werewolf since I love the whole transforming aspect.

Wonder what his take on a Bespin-like planet would be and explaining how anyone can live on a planet that is pretty much just a gas giant.

The original Dracula was a thing to read and fear a powerful and mysterious creature. He was the prince of darkness subsequent versions have broken the power of the vampire and made it laughable and pathetic. If anyone could repair it its reputation its brandon.