Masks of the Past for the Mistborn Adventure Game is out

Claincy

Wrong hair color... wrong eye color. SCARS on his hands that Kell did not cover... Once more information gets out someone is putting two and two together. They really don't look a thing alike, aside from the height. And we don't know if Kell used his own name or not... 

The book does mention that he's the Sovereign in 'Secrets of Masks of the Past' under 'the Sovereign.' But most of the book pretends he's TLR. The assumption is the Malwish don't know; I feel it would have been better to leave it ambiguous.

@Kingsdaughter613 how would the Malwish know what TLR looked like to compare him to the Sovereign? 

The implications in the book is that allomancers are revered as divinities in the south. Whether Kel started that, or just took advantage of it, he's not the type to throw away something that works in his favor. 

I don't know that he actually claimed to be TLR. That could just be an attribution ascribed by those hearing about the Sovereign because of the similarities between the two, but I am sure that Kel wasn't like "hey, I'm just some guy. I don't deserve all this praise. Ignore me." 

I think you misunderstood. It is unclear in the book whether or not the Malwish know Kelsier's name. We do know he didn't hide his scars and probably the rest of his features.

The Malwish don't need to know the difference; the Northerners do. As soon as someone starts describing the Sovereign the Northerners will figure it out. Which makes it unlikely that the charade will last much longer.

The gamebook says the Southerners believe the Sovereign is TLR. There isn't any indication of that in the book; it's Wax and co who come to that conclusion. I think it would have been better to leave it ambiguous; saying the Southerners believe a man from the North came to save them. This way players can make their own choice.

I'm not certain where their other beliefs come in; I'm not complaining about that! 

Unless Allik is simply wrong, Kel pretended to be TLR

“Who is the Sovereign?” Waxillium asked from behind. Allik winced. “Surely he was not as great as you, Remarkable One.” Waxillium said nothing. “He’s staring at me, isn’t he?” Allik asked softly of Marasi. She nodded. “Eyes like icicles,” Allik said, “drilling into me from behind.” He spoke more loudly. “The Sovereign was our king from three centuries ago. He told us he was your king first. And your god.” “The Lord Ruler?” Waxillium said. “He died.” “Yes,” Allik said. “He told us that too.”

35 minutes ago, Extesian said:

He told us he was your king first. And your god.

I still don't know why Kelsier said that. I mean, the moment somebody starts describing him, all of the North will be like "SURVIVOR?!". His trademark scars are... well, trademark.

Kelsier was not a king at any given moment, so if he said that he wanted to spread short-live misdirection in the North he was actually TLR.

Or... maybe we're overthinking it, as we always are? Maybe he said that to give himself more authority and power? "I was a king and god and everybody loved me and they gave me their most beatiful women and - yeah, it would be nice if you did that too -  and I had a throne as big as a mountain...". Just classical Kelsier.

Edited by Oversleep

It was always a bit strange to me that Allik said yes when asked if it was TLR since the Southerners didn't know about TLR. Could be a translation issue. But Kel clearly states new was King (unless time obscured his original words). But I don't think he was trying to weirdly mislead, and also not necessarily for self glorification. I think it was a way to embed in their minds his authority for their own benefit. Things were good before and bad after. So he basically let them think he was the original reason for the good times, so they'd trust jinn to help rebuild their society. 

But I've always seem the best in my man Kel.

1 hour ago, Extesian said:

But I've always seem the best in my man Kel.

I haven't and that's part of why he's such a great character. 

He has some serious darkness inside. If things were different in Scadrial in the first story he could easily have been a villain. It's what scares me most about him going forward. It always hurts to see a hero fall. 

He has a lot of potential in both directions. Either way he goes I'll enjoy the story. 

2 hours ago, Extesian said:

It was always a bit strange to me that Allik said yes when asked if it was TLR since the Southerners didn't know about TLR. Could be a translation issue.

In the passage, Allik agrees that the Sovereign claimed to have died

34 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

In the passage, Allik agrees that the Sovereign claimed to have died

Very good catch. Wax says "the Lord Ruler? He died" 

Allik says he told them that as well, but if "The Lord Ruler" doesn't mean anything to him, then he'd be acknowledging the latter half. 

The TLR part is an assumption. 

I like it. 

A lot. 

We don't even know that Kell claimed to be king. He may have said 'I lead them,' or something similar and this was interpreted as him being a king. The whole thing is being translated too; it's possible that what Allik is thinking and what is being heard are two separate things. And Allik never struck me as the most knowledgeable regarding his people's myths. He could simply be wrong. We just don't know enough to say for certain.

Which is why I felt it was better left ambiguous, allowing the Narrator and players to decide.

• Chaos locked this topic