A book about the third empire?

Is Arcanum Unbounded, it states that there are 3 distinct empires on Sel, mostly unaware of each other. We know about the empires taking place in Elantris. (The Fjordell obviously know about the main characters and Elantris, so that can't be 2 out of the 3).

And we know about the emperors soul kingdom. So what's the third kingdom and is there already a book taking place there?

The Arcanum Unbounded essay talks about Sel having multiple continents so it's a good bet that the mysterious 'third great domain' is based on a different landmass that we haven't seen yet. And with at least two more books to be written we'll undoubtedly learn more in the (relatively) near future, but for now all we know is that there's another major power somewhere on the planet.

• 2 months later...

Okay, so Fjorden Empire was based on Germanic tribes which were in northern Europe (around modern-day Germany); the Rose Empire is obviously Far East (so think China, Japan, Korea, etc.). So maybe the third empire is based on a South/Central American civilization, like Aztec, Inca, Maya, or Zapotec. And I really hope we get a book about it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13 oktober 2017 at 4:37 PM, SilverTiger said:

Okay, so Fjorden Empire was based on Germanic tribes which were in northern Europe (around modern-day Germany); the Rose Empire is obviously Far East (so think China, Japan, Korea, etc.). So maybe the third empire is based on a South/Central American civilization, like Aztec, Inca, Maya, or Zapotec. And I really hope we get a book about it.

This sounds awesome. More Sel stories please! I like the worldbuilding there, and it feels like there is huge potential for more stories. 

I could also imagine the third empire being akin to Russian culture, but I think that aztec is a lot cooler.

Or something African. Like, old Aethiopia, or Great Zimbabwe. The continent is so old, you basically stumble over ancient cultures there. To bad few of them had writing.

While we're at it, there are quite a lot of ancient cultures in the north-african-and-middle-east-area that are rarely used in fantasy (or even historical fiction, for that matter) who had scripture... If someone can pull this off, it's Sanderson. Ans since Sel is likely the most multicultural shardworld known at the moment (though Roshar and Nalthis are close, and ancient Scadrial might have been even more - 100+ active or semi-active religions tell quite a lot) with cultures that are very distinctive from each other, such things are pretty much possible.

Of course, the third empire might be something "boring" like a standard medieval fantasy setting, something like "lord of the rings minus the dragons". It still can be pulled off amazing with Sanderson's skill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 4:54 AM, Alfa said:

Or something African. Like, old Aethiopia, or Great Zimbabwe. The continent is so old, you basically stumble over ancient cultures there. To bad few of them had writing.

While we're at it, there are quite a lot of ancient cultures in the north-african-and-middle-east-area that are rarely used in fantasy (or even historical fiction, for that matter) who had scripture... If someone can pull this off, it's Sanderson. Ans since Sel is likely the most multicultural shardworld known at the moment (though Roshar and Nalthis are close, and ancient Scadrial might have been even more - 100+ active or semi-active religions tell quite a lot) with cultures that are very distinctive from each other, such things are pretty much possible.

Of course, the third empire might be something "boring" like a standard medieval fantasy setting, something like "lord of the rings minus the dragons". It still can be pulled off amazing with Sanderson's skill.

This! This! Fantasy faux-Africa is sorely lacking in fantasy fiction, these days.

I asked Brandon about this at an Oathbringer signing. Here's his response:

Q: Is there anything you'd be willing to tell us about the third empire Khriss mentioned in Arcanum Unbounded?

A: Umm, yeah, I have not decided on some canon answers for that yet, I've debated back and forth on what I'm going to do with it so I just won't tell you yet.

So he hasn't solidly determined it yet and we won't know for some time. However, it seems reasonably safe to assume that whatever it is will not be particularly Mesoamerican in style because he's planning on writing a civilization along exactly those lines in The Aztlanian. I think an African-inspired culture could be really cool (lots of possible models to choose from, across a huge span of time) but I'm sure that whatever Brandon settles on will work just fine.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/10/2019 at 6:08 PM, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

The only ones I can think of is Wakanda (black panther) Johnny Quest , and of course Tarzan !

I just read a fantasy book called The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter that’s inspired by African culture. It was completely and utterly amazing. I’m not kidding, it’s so good I’m pretty sure it’s in my top 10 fantasy books. It’s not too long either; I was able to knock it out during a weekend of fevered reading. Definitely check it out if you get the chance.