2017-11-21 [Oathbringer] Anderson's Bookshop - Naperville, IL (Chicago)

Volratho

@Zmann966 I have a Studio mic and desk stand for it, but not much experience using it. It's a recent acquisition I haven't gotten much of a chance to use outside of attached to my desktop, so I'm not sure how much help I could be other than providing an extra mic for the day.

As is a tradition of mine, I post the questions I intend to bring to the signing some time in advance in order to give people a chance to look them over, suggest changes, offer their own questions (which I sometimes take), and occasionally submit answers that I had missed in the past. Unfortunately, Oathbringer has been a little crazy, and I've been busy with both it and Arcanum, so my list is not as curated as I would like it to be - which means I will probably take all of the questions with me and choose what to ask on the fly. I apologize for this.

But if you want to look it over, here's a link to my list. I think I've disabled comments on this link (and if I haven't, I ask you to avoid commenting on the Google doc directly) because I want to keep discussion about the questions here.

Be warned that there are Oathbringer questions in there, but they are in their own section, so you should be able to avoid them. This being said, I think I am most interested in more Oathbringer questions, as I am not entirely happy with my own assortment. 

15 hours ago, Argent said:

But if you want to look it over, here's a link to my list. I think I've disabled comments on this link (and if I haven't, I ask you to avoid commenting on the Google doc directly) because I want to keep discussion about the questions here.

Oathbringer spoilers:

Spoiler

It's not "Bo-Ado-Mishram", you pleb. She is called Ba-Ado-Mishram.

EDIT: In retrospect, maybe I should've phrased this differently. I guess without the knowledge that I trade casual insults with Argent frequently, this reply looks... less than nice. Ohwell.

I have been thinking for awhile what questions I would like to ask Brandon this time around, but seeing as I have only gotten about half way through Oathbringer at this point, my Stormlight knowledge is still incomplete. I am not sure if my questions have been asked before, or if they have been answered elsewhere, but I appreciate any input. 

I do not think there are any spoilers in these questions, but I am hiding them in case there is anything in Oathbirnger that I am unaware of at this point.

The questions I have so far are as follows: 

Spoiler

- Can Radiants on Roshar draw stormlight directly from a highstorm, or do they have to have a gemstone as an intermediary step?

- Can Radiants push stormlight back into gemstones?

- In the past you have said that the Stormfather is a cognitive shadow of Honor, is it possible for other cognitive shadows, such as shades from Threnody or Kelsier to enter into a nathal bond? If so what abilities would the bond grant to both the shadow and the bonded?

- On Sel, most Aons patterns are formed out of multiple Aon Aons in different combinations with the addition of some extra lines or circles for some aons. With the addition of the chasm line, would the aons would better/differently if the chasm line were added to each of the aon aons that make up the more complex aons. (I know that I used the word aon way too much in this question.)

Subtle, @Pagerunner. Subtle. You should've actually edited your post though :P

@Volratho, Words of Radiance answers your first two questions positively. I suspect the answer to your third question is also positive, but there may be some interesting information there (and I myself have a similar question). 

55 minutes ago, Volratho said:

- On Sel, most Aons patterns are formed out of multiple Aon Aons in different combinations with the addition of some extra lines or circles for some aons. With the addition of the chasm line, would the aons would better/differently if the chasm line were added to each of the aon aons that make up the more complex aons. (I know that I used the word aon way too much in this question.)

We do know the answer to this one already:

linkhyrule5

Why is there only one Chasm line per Aon? Since each Aon is made up of repetitions of Aon Aon, shouldn't there be a Chasm line per repetition?

Brandon Sanderson

The Aons aren't JUST made up of repetitions of Aon Aon. There's a lot more to them than that. Some follow a repetition pattern, others do not. The only requirement is using the initial Aon once, then building from there. Because of this, I made the new requirement be only one use of the chasm line.

Aons can actually have multiple forms and still work. For example, if you drew the chasm line on each one of those Aons, they'd work fine. (Maybe even better, in some cases.) What is happening in the books is that the Aons are ALMOST functional, and the Dor is straining to come through them. The chasm line brings them the one step further they need to be functional. However, further tweaking could make them more efficient.

(source)

15 hours ago, Volratho said:

I have been thinking for awhile what questions I would like to ask Brandon this time around, but seeing as I have only gotten about half way through Oathbringer at this point, my Stormlight knowledge is still incomplete. I am not sure if my questions have been asked before, or if they have been answered elsewhere, but I appreciate any input. 

I do not think there are any spoilers in these questions, but I am hiding them in case there is anything in Oathbirnger that I am unaware of at this point.

The questions I have so far are as follows: 

Hide contents

- Can Radiants on Roshar draw stormlight directly from a highstorm, or do they have to have a gemstone as an intermediary step?

- Can Radiants push stormlight back into gemstones?

- In the past you have said that the Stormfather is a cognitive shadow of Honor, is it possible for other cognitive shadows, such as shades from Threnody or Kelsier to enter into a nathal bond? If so what abilities would the bond grant to both the shadow and the bonded?

Regarding the third question you should clarify in either (or both) directions: Can a cognitive Shadow act as a Spren to form a Nahel bond with a Radiant and/or Can a cognitive Shadow bond a Spren to become a Radiant. Right now it’s unclear which you are asking leaving Brandon far too much wiggle room. (Yes, I’ve had both these questions for a while; why do you ask?) Also, be very specific with regard to the type of Cognitive Shadow, as we have seen more than one.

To the last question, I believe the answer was yes, but someone better than me at navigating search engines should check. Edit: Never mind, someone did.

Very vague OB spoilers:

Spoiler

There appear to be different types of Cognitive Shadows. At least one can bond a Spren. So be very specific when asking, or he will wiggle out.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

22 hours ago, Volratho said:

In the past you have said that the Stormfather is a cognitive shadow of Honor, is it possible for other cognitive shadows, such as shades from Threnody or Kelsier to enter into a nathal bond? If so what abilities would the bond grant to both the shadow and the bonded?

Well this is embarrassing, totally did not read this... We do actually know part of this:

WeiryWriter

Can a person who dies but somehow hasn't passed Beyond the Three Realms (a la Kelsier) serve in place of a spren for Radiant purposes?

Brandon Sanderson

This is theoretically possible, but it would require an unusual sequence of events.

WeiryWriter

We know that the Stormfather is a Cognitive shadow and is also acting as a spren for Dalinar but is he able to do that because the "unusual sequence of events" took place or is there something else going on specific to the nature of the Stormfather?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. :)

Carluun

If Kelsier became a "spren" for a Radiant, would he grant Surgebinding or Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

(source)

There's an update on the event everyone should be aware of, especially arcanists.

UPDATE:  Brandon is feeling a little under the weather, so in order to expedite the event there will only be one line.  He will personalize ONE book and sign up to THREE additional books per fan.  He will not be able to pose for photos or take questions from the signing line.  If you have more books than that, you can wait until the very end if you wish, but be forewarned that it may be a late night.  Thank you for your understanding as we try and help him get the rest he needs.

I have tomorrow off, I was tempted to follow him wherever if there was going to be a second event and a magic game like what happened at the Words of Radiance signing. I couldn't make it work then. But it's awesome that he's willing to push through feeling crappy to even keep the event. He's such a great guy.

Anyone hanging out waiting for their signing number to be called and want to talk Oathbringer/cosmere (we might not be on your level, but we’re tired). We’re in the D 20’s and one of us has bright green hair. 

Edit: great hanging out with you cool people! Sorry we had to immediately run post signing but our friend had work. 

Edited by caseycassidy

ic-6618.thumb.jpg.99501d232151dcdfa2e0eaf490b35041.jpgIMG_20171121_203333.thumb.jpg.2d2724d6a0439a1667e2c77b34539d61.jpg

@JoyBlu It's not as flashy as the others, but I ran with it. How did I do?

. @Fifth of Daybreak  you really need to dress up as the guy that was murdered.  The mustaches.  He had more than one? Maybe his eyebrows were considered mustaches too?  Perhaps it was because today was Halloween, but I just imagined you walking around with your multiple mustaches and a deck of cards, with a half broken bottle going through your head. 

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

The signing today was a lot of fun, even though Brandon was under the weather and we did not get as many questions answered as we would have liked. I know several of us have recordings, look for those in the coming days. 

Here is a photo of the dedicated few that stayed until the very end.

20171121_222344.jpg

P.S. If anyone is missing a hat and water bottle, it was left outside after the final questions. I have them and am willing to work with the owner to return them.

Edited by Volratho

3 hours ago, caseycassidy said:

Anyone hanging out waiting for their signing number to be called and want to talk Oathbringer/cosmere (we might not be on your level, but we’re tired). We’re in the D 20’s and one of us has bright green hair. 

Edit: great hanging out with you cool people! Sorry we had to immediately run post signing but our friend had work. 

Hey, I remember this name!

Good times, everyone! The Chicago Cosmere Club grows ever bigger with each new signing - and while new faces are to be expected, I am beginning to run into the "I know we've met before, but I don't remember you" problem with some of you guys. So if I didn't remember you, or if I didn't hang out with you enough (I do feel kind of responsible for these Chicago events...), I am sorry, I'll buy you sweets or something next time? Until then, come say hi in here, delurk yourself, as it were :) Every one of you I spoke with was a delightful (I assume) human being, and you should come brag about it so the rest of the community can bask in - dare I say it? - your Radiance. Except for @Zmann966. He is just an uncool dude.

I am too tired to try to offer you a summary of the event (though I might do that tomorrow, as it was... less than ideal), or to share any juicy WoBs (while the Arcanum crew works on a proper transcription). 

It was so fun finally getting to meet other Cosmere fans at the signing! (I was the girl with the bright blue/green hair and the first ideals tattooed on my wrist, name is Bree!) I literally just moved to Illinois a little over a month ago, so I've never been to a Sanderson event here before, and I'm so glad I got to go to this one. Thanks for hanging out and sharing your theories. It was a great time. Hopefully next time there's an event I can be a little more on your level. 

6 hours ago, Shardhorse said:

It was so fun finally getting to meet other Cosmere fans at the signing! (I was the girl with the bright blue/green hair and the first ideals tattooed on my wrist, name is Bree!) I literally just moved to Illinois a little over a month ago, so I've never been to a Sanderson event here before, and I'm so glad I got to go to this one. Thanks for hanging out and sharing your theories. It was a great time. Hopefully next time there's an event I can be a little more on your level. 

Hey Bree! You held your ground a lot better than someone with one post has any right to, I wouldn't worry about next time :)