2017-11-21 [Oathbringer] Anderson's Bookshop - Naperville, IL (Chicago)

Volratho

Last Update (probably): Here is a link to the Arcanum page for this event: Oathbringer Chicago Signing

UPDATE:  Brandon is feeling a little under the weather, so in order to expedite the event there will only be one line.  He will personalize ONE book and sign up to THREE additional books per fan.  He will not be able to pose for photos or take questions from the signing line.  If you have more books than that, you can wait until the very end if you wish, but be forewarned that it may be a late night.  Thank you for your understanding as we try and help him get the rest he needs.

Hey Everyone,

So the tour dates and locations dropped a few days ago, and I was surprised to not see any thread pop up for Chicago yet.

He is coming back to the Anderson's in Naperville, for the Chicago natives to this forum this should be of no surprise, I is there at least every other time he comes out this way.

As usual, you will have to by your copy of Oathbringer from the store in order to get it signed/personalized, but he usually has the rule of doing up to three personalizations and as many signatures as you have books. At least this has been the case in the past, it depends on the staff at Anderson's but they have almost ways gone above an beyond in their help of the fans.

I will definitely be there, and I will have my recording equipment as usual, and im not usually the only one, so we should be good for an audio recording of the event. 

If someone does not have any questions they would like to have asked let us know, I know the community, especially the Chicago regulars, can easily provide you a plethora of possible questions.

The location for this event will not be at the book store proper this time.

Event date: 
Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 6:00pm
Event address: 
Community Christian Church
1635 Emerson Ln
Naperville, IL 60540
Edited by Volratho
Update from the bookstore

For people who are new to Brandon's signings, being at the event is free and open to the public, but if you want to get anything signed, you will need to purchase the book from the host store. It looks like this time, the event will not be in the actual store, but at a local church about 2.5 miles away from the store. I have spoken with the store, and they will have on-site copies of the book to buy along with a few of Brandon's other titles, they could not tell me exactly what titles, or what number of books they would have at this time.

You can preorder a copy of the book and look at the full details of the event here: http://www.andersonsbookshop.com/event/brandon-sanderson-2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Volratho said:

I plan on being at the event pretty early and I am also bringing my copy of Mistborn: House War for Brandon to sign. If anyone would like to get a few games in while we wait in line, that would be awesome!

I was planning on bring my copy for a signature as well, but I don't know if I'll be able to come early. I'll go to work earlier on that day, but even then I think it'd be optimistic to expect being there more than a couple of hours ahead of time...

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea, and I wanted to start out here, but rest assured I will get appropriate permission from the venue as well depending on how discussion goes here.

I was lucky enough to win a Calamity give away that netted me a whole stack of postcards from each of the books as well as cutout figures for Limelight, Firefight and David. I've wanted a way to get this out to other Sanderson fans that was cost effective to me, but I've already exhausted my personal friends and family. 

So I had an idea to get to the signing in Chicago I'm already planning to go to early and run a 17th Shard gameshow for an hour or so and give away all the extras as prizes. I recently invested in some equipment so I could get it all  recorded and post it on the site later. It would probably just all be trivia, but I'm welcome to any brainstorming ideas people have here. 

Before I go through with this though, I wanted to make sure that I'm not stepping on any toes, and I wanted to start with the shard.

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

I'm planning to be there. I'm glad it is at the church, which is huge, because the Calamity event was packed. I ended up sitting on the floor among the stacks and I got there at least an hour before it started. I can't imagine how packed it would have been, if they'd tried to do Oathbringer there.

On 10/31/2017 at 4:38 PM, Fifth of Daybreak said:

Before I go through with this though, I wanted to make sure that I'm not stepping on any toes, and I wanted to start with the shard.

I've seen no toes exposed for this time period. I myself plan on showing up early too.

On 11/6/2017 at 10:50 AM, Argent said:

I've seen no toes exposed for this time period. I myself plan on showing up early too.

I had the same thought and sent out an email to them about two minutes before you posted this haha. It was a favorable initial response and she said she will get back to me.

EDIT FOR UPDATE: So, unfortunately, since it's Calamity merchandise from a different publisher, they aren't able to allow me to do anything like that. Any Sharders who want some Reckoners merch though, I'll still have them on me to give out.  @Argent Do you need any recording equipment for Arcanum purposes? 

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

On 11/10/2017 at 5:25 PM, FollowYourMuse said:

Has anyone had luck ordering from Andersons Online?  I am not sure if I ordered, or not or if I ordered 3 copies. 

I have preordered books from Anderson's a few times now without issues. You should have one or two confirmation emails from them, one for the completion of you order, and one for payment confirmation. If you are still worried, I believe that you can call them to confirm the order.

On 11/11/2017 at 6:03 PM, Volratho said:

I have preordered books from Anderson's a few times now without issues. You should have one or two confirmation emails from them, one for the completion of you order, and one for payment confirmation. If you are still worried, I believe that you can call them to confirm the order.

Thanks I did not get any,  so assume the order did not go through, I will call them tomorrow.

I am ordering in hopes I can leave work early enough to go on the 21'st. 

Takes a small break from Oathbringer to surface for air

I will be bringing not only my audio equipment but also some additional kits from work (since mine has been proven time and time again to be flaky for WoB purposes.) So long as Anderson's doesn't try and step in and prevent us from recording (again) I can conceivably have a shotgun on Brandon AND one pointed at the front of the table where questioners will be during the signing itself—tempted to add another for noise-cancelling purposes.
Brandon has resisted my attempts to lav him in the past, so a grip of shotguns and an omni-ambient is probably the best we're gonna get—again, assuming Anderson's doesn't try and screw us again—and I can find a place down the table or nearby to set up. Worse comes to worst and I can man it manually and stand with Argent (as he does) near the table the whole time gleaning what I can and pointing it back and forth while monitoring the audio...

That said, the more the merrier! @Argent doesn't like my post-processing methods of reducing background noise and increasing punch, but I've been successful in the past merging @Volratho and I's recordings for best quality before posting it to the WoBinator9000.
Any additional equipment at the event will be welcome (by us, if not Anderson's,) and can only help in pursuing clearer WoBs.

I will not be there, but my friends will ask 4 questions for me:

Oathbringer spoilers

Spoiler

1. Is Shinovar deliberately set up so Highstorms become weaker and manifest no Perpendicularity there? 

2. Is the first letter in Part 2 from a new shard? If so, what is it? 

3. Will Skyward be cosmere? 

4. In Mistborn era 2, on Scadrial, is Hoid still toting around his newly acquired friend in his cameos? 

15 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Come on it has to be asked

I suppose. 

Though if I were asking this (and I have a... particular question style), I would break the question down into more answerable bits and ask them in order, starting with the least RAFOable. I prefer asking a few less important questions and getting a few less important answers, than asking one big one and getting an outright RAFO.

8 minutes ago, Argent said:

I suppose. 

Though if I were asking this (and I have a... particular question style), I would break the question down into more answerable bits and ask them in order, starting with the least RAFOable. I prefer asking a few less important questions and getting a few less important answers, than asking one big one and getting an outright RAFO.

I'll re order them, but I don't want to make it too complicated given that I'm using intermediaries who haven't read SA. Not for lack of trying to get them too.