Possible Augur Ability

Timemaster11

I guess my motivation for this question was that when Vin burned gold, she found herself split between her own body and the body of her past self or gold image, and both bodies moved independently. What I was truly wondering was:

1) Can a person burning gold move away from their gold image, or are they stuck a specific distance from each other, like a malatium image?

2) Can a person burning gold see their true surroundings from both bodies, or are they forced to solely focus on the other person? In the only instance we have of someone burning gold, Vin was with Kelsier while waiting for Marsh. There wasn't really anything going on around her, and it was her first time using gold, so the fact that she didn't mention her surroundings needn't mean she couldn't have observed them if she had tried.

Edited by Timemaster11

What I want to know is if they could communicate with their double, and what exactly the double represents. Is it their past self? An alternate version of themselves? If it's your past self, and could communicate with them, you could find your double of a particular moment and ask them questions. Didn't get a good luck at a criminal mastermind's base while you were raiding the place and need clues? Gold to rescue!

Well, the thing with gold is that the images are not real, they are simply illusions brought on by gold's effect. It's why when Vin stabbed the Lord Ruler's malatium shadow, it didn't do anything. (Let's be honest: if the effect of the god metal-alloy can't do it, a normal metal like gold certainly can't do it.) The shadows are mental--or, shall we say, Cognitive. They exist in the mind of the Allomancer only.

So, TimeMaster, to answer your questions:

1. Hard to pin an exact distance down, since it's all in the mind's eye, but there would surely be such a cutoff.

2. I'd doubt you'd get another pair of eyes. And if the visions can "see" anything (like, you're burning gold, and suddenly Marsh bursts through the door), it'd probably be a function of you look at it, so your vision looks at it as well. Either way, you couldn't access the gold vision's extra sensory information.

As for Silus, I think I answered your question. It'd be interesting to know if you can communicate with your gold vision (my bet is no). But I think if you could, it's all a function of your mind.

• 1 month later...

Just to play a little devils advocate here, but when Vin burned Gold didn't she suddenly get the feeling of looking at herself through both pairs of eyes. I don't have my copy on hand, but I remember reading that the alternate past self of Vin (as a noble) was seeing the thief Vin while the thief Vin was seeing the alternate past self Vin.

EDIT: spelling

EDIT EDIT: I missed a misspell

Edited by Emeralis00

Just to play a little devils advocate here, but when Vin burned Gold didn't she suddenly get the feeling of looking at herself through both pairs of eyes. I don't have my copy on hand, but I remeber reading that the alternate past self of Vin (as a noble) was seeing the thief Vin while the thief Vin was seeing the alternate past self Vin.

EDIT: spelling

I agree with this.

I think the following are all true:

1) The person burning gold sees through the eyes (and thinks through the mind) of both their real selves and their Gold shadow. It is, after all, in some obscure sense part of them.

2) Nobody else can interact with their shadow. It is purely internal.

3) Their shadow can see things that they could not normally see and give them extra information. This shouldn't be that big a stretch; after all, both Atium and Electrum could, in theory, do the same thing, with extra time-travel weirdness added in for good measure.

• 2 months later...

You could get some information from your gold shadow, the problem would be determining whether it applies to you and your world or if it's merely "philosophically true".

An interesting question. What if you burned gold and could somehow aim it at a particular choice you made in the recent past? Then could you find out what would have happened if you had decided to trail the scary Inquisitor and eavesdropped on him? Even if he would have killed you, you would learn something.

I'm starting to get the feeling that gold is one of those mysteries deliberately left hanging. :)

• Chaos locked this topic