Hemalurgy outside Scadrial.

Calderis

Presented for your consideration. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1168#18

QUESTION

Someone else asked if we would see Hemalurgy somewhere other than Scadrial,

BRANDON SANDERSON

Brandon's answer? We already have. It's not meant to be obvious though so we probably won't recognize it.

So we've already seen someone spiked outside of Scadrial... 

Is this just the elusive WalDo? Or do we need to start looking for other oddities?

Edit: and another for completeness, even though it doesn't add anything. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1179#13

QUESTION

What about Hemalurgy in other worlds other than Mistborn?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes. (I again asked with the exception of Kandra, have seen Hemalurgy such as people who may have been spiked. He repeated "You have seen Hemalurgy in other worlds." (In other words he is tight-lipped about Kandra part - neither yes or no)

Edited by Calderis

Nalthis, I think. Think about it- the monks have mysterious rituals that suddenly make them slightly insane and incredibly powerful? I think the bones are somehow spiking them, or something. Just an idea.

2 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I think there actually are several worldhopping kandra apart from WalDo, I'm almost sure.

I can see that. With something trying to limit his knowledge, Harmony using them to scout beyond Scadrial makes a lot of sense. 

Conversely, if one wanted to get away similar to another Kandra we've seen, off world would be a tempting option. 

I also heard Brandon confirm we've seen hemalurgy, but that it wasn't obvious and we probably wouldn't find it even if we searched. So likely there are no visible spikes, and no grand abilities manifested. But there are probably enough clues that when he reveals it we'll all go, "Oh yeah!"

So, what's one of these "Oh yeah!" ideas? Where we can see someone doing something they probably shouldn't be able to do, even if only subtly?

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

I can see that. With something trying to limit his knowledge, Harmony using them to scout beyond Scadrial makes a lot of sense.

I have actually found three WoBs:

Question

Has TenSoon ever left Scadrial?

Brandon Sanderson

More RAFO. I believe I have said there are Kandra on other worlds, but I have not said if one was TenSoon.

Question

Are there kandra hiding in any of your books, besides the Mistborn ones?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes there are! [smugly] yes there are...

Question

Is OreSeur is a member of the same species a worldjumper?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, there are several kandra who are worldhoppers.They are usually homebodies, but there are some who have gone off.

More than I remembered, huh.

4 minutes ago, john203 said:

Mraize has a hemalurgic spike in his trophy room. Shallan describes it as a hairpin in a jar of blood.

They were in blood? I remember people theorizing that these are hemalurgic spikes, but I think that if they were stored in blood that would remove all doubts. 

I have to look that up. 

5 minutes ago, Calderis said:

They were in blood? I remember people theorizing that these are hemalurgic spikes, but I think that if they were stored in blood that would remove all doubts. 

I have to look that up. 

I seem to recall them being described as thick hairpins, no mention of blood.

Denth being returned would be most likely to explain his great speed. His rage was most probably what it appears to be on the surface an anger against Vasher for what he did to Sheshara.

Edited by Nathrangking

The general reluctance of kandra to kill humans might be a good indicator of who may be kandra. Obviously it's not binding like it was under the contract, but there are indications that their reluctance seems to persist with a few notable exceptions. Looking for pacifists might be a good avenue for exploration.

19 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Could Denth be spiked? His super-speed has to come from somewhere. And he could certainly be seen as unhinged.

Yeah I think Death's speed was mentioned in the annotations as a result of him being Returned. But Tonk Fah... When talking to Thame in chapter 22:

Tonk Fah cracked his knuckles. Vivienna glanced at him, suddenly noticing that Tonk Fah seemed more...dangerous. The idle, overweight man who liked to nap had vanished. In his place was a thug with sleeves rolled up, showing off muscles that bulged impressively.

Maybe he's slightly tapping strength here. Suddenly bulging muscles. Constantly needing to rest during the day, like inquisitors. Urges to torture animals. In company of a known worldhopper. I think Tonk Fah is the most likely candidate.

And

QUESTION

Has Denth ever been to Scadrial?

BRANDON SANDERSON

So Scadrial is one of the planets that’s easier to get to, in Cosmere terms. I will say this: he did not travel the Cosmere widely. But Scadrial is one of the easier ones to get to - he spent a lot of time on Roshar, and did not travel widely.

Edited by Ciridae

3 hours ago, Ciridae said:

Yeah I think Death's speed was mentioned in the annotations as a result of him being Returned. But Tonk Fah... When talking to Thame in chapter 22:

Maybe he's slightly tapping strength here. Suddenly bulging muscles. Constantly needing to rest during the day, like inquisitors. Urges to torture animals. In company of a known worldhopper. I think Tonk Fah is the most likely candidate.

I agree with Tonk being a likely candidate for spikes, but I still dont get the Denth thing. Did Vasher or Lightsong have perks from being Returned?

2 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I agree with Tonk being a likely candidate for spikes, but I still dont get the Denth thing. Did Vasher or Lightsong have perks from being Returned?

Yes. Even with his Breath suppressed, Vasher was stronger, faster, and healthier than normal. 

The only reason Lightsong didn't benefit noticeably is because he had no training in how to fight. 

Yea, Tonk was actually my first thought when thinking of a spiked individual outside Scadrial. And that passage about the bulging muscle makes it especially suspicious. However, just one thing to keep in mind when hunting spiked individuals: On Scadrial, spiked individuals often thought they were insane, or "heard voices". That might have changed now that Harmony is around, but I'm not sure. Can anyone think of individuals who seem to have conversations with themselves, or show any other signs of hearing voices or insanity?

Edit: This made me think a little, and I actually came up with a theory: 

Edited by Lord Maelstrom