2017-11-18 [Oathbringer] Murder By The Book - Houston, TX

Pagerunner

7 minutes ago, ccstat said:

How did the express line work? Was it enough of a success that you think he will continue the format at future signings? 

It's working too well, and unfortunately it might become the only option at some point. Brandon spoke a little about it during the general group talk, about how he's doing everything he can to keep interacting with his fans, but his notoriety is making it tough to keep it at his old level. So, it looks like the Express Line is here to stay, and I hope we'll be able to keep the Real Line for a while yet. Maybe non-Stormlight stuff won't be as bad.

22 minutes ago, ccstat said:

How many stayed for the "real line" at this event? Did it make for more fan-fan interactions/group discussion since all the ones left were the more dedicated type with questions?

It's hard to say; not everyone stayed in the bookstore, people were milling around the neighborhood at restaurants and bars while the bookstore tweeted out line numbers. The Express Line took 2 hours, the Unexpress Line was 3. I found some people to talk with both by coordinating through the forums and the old-fashioned way. ("So, do you come here often?") Barely anyone had finished the book, so we had to be very careful with out spoiler-based conversations. But the crazy fans tend to find one another, no matter how many people are out.

3 minutes ago, CosmereQuestioner said:

Did he stick around after the lines were through for the more casual q&a from the hardcore fans? (I had to leave after making my way through the unexpress line)

He did not; he was under the weather, and had a bunch of stuff to sign for the bookstore still, so he closed up shop at 8:30. 

41 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

But the crazy fans tend to find one another, no matter how many people are out.

It helps when you proclaim you're staying until the end despite having to wait for another 200+ people to go through after your initial spot. 

Also, being in the handful of people who had already gotten through *almost* the entire book at that point made a big difference in who I talked to. 

5 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

He did not; he was under the weather, and had a bunch of stuff to sign for the bookstore still, so he closed up shop at 8:30. 

Ah kinda good. I got signed a little past 7pm, and I was debating on staying if there was going to be more Q&A but I was tired as hell and had to drive back to San Antonio.

Lol...yeah, I honestly feel bad about it. But it's hard waiting for hours and hours and only having like 1 or 2 minutes to speak to him. I mean, I secretly hope he appreciates that his fans have so many questions but I feel like some sort of dick asking him so many things.  I think next time I'll just toss out a question or two and be more relaxed...if I can >.>

12 hours ago, Paladin Brewer said:

I think next time I'll just toss out a question or two and be more relaxed...if I can >.>

I say that every time, but I think this was the first that I kept myself to 2 with a clarifying follow up.

12 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

I'm going through the audio right now.

Curious how well my recollection will line up with the audio!

Here's a brand new WoB for you guys from the Houston signing.  Brandon signed something in my book related to the part 2 letters to Hoid, specifically the first letter.  Enjoy!

20171121_155425.jpg

Q: Can you drop a hint about which Shard authored the first of the letters to Hoid shown in the part 2 epigraphs?

Brandon: You have seen their world.

Edited by phoenix2563

3 hours ago, phoenix2563 said:

Here's a brand new WoB for you guys from the Houston signing.  Brandon signed something in my book related to the part 2 letters to Hoid, specifically the first letter.  Enjoy!

20171121_155425.jpg

Q: Can you drop a hint about which Shard authored the first of the letters to Hoid shown in the part 2 epigraphs?

Brandon: You have seen their world.

Nice grab! We are fairly sure the order is 1] Endowment, 2] Autonomy, and 3] Harmony. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two WoBs that had been hidden in Arcanum, since Brandon had referred me to Peter on them. But they're live now, with Peter's remarks:

On 11/19/2017 at 1:35 AM, Argent said:

Good work! I would have to rake my brain a little bit, see if I can figure out where else we have seen aluminum. Shardblade guards are an obvious candidate, I think. 

I'd say that NB is the Aluninum we had seen in addition to Shallan's necklace pre-OB.

Oathbringer Edinburgh signing (Dec. 2, 2017)
#7 Share

Play/Pause

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

You know the sparring guards, for the Shardblade training, the guards they put on the Shardblades. Are they made of aluminum?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

So, they are not. Peter will not let me make them made out of aluminum. He's my continuity editor, he keeps me honest. I tried to get them to be aluminum, but there are reasons why they can't be. So we had to make them their own weird little thing, unfortunately. But you could make a sheath out of aluminum for a Shardblade that would work.

He keeps me honest, so it's good, but I did try to fit them in that way.

As for NB's Sheath:

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

#4 Share
Play/Pause

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

What metal is Nightblood's sheath made out of?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Nightblood's sheath is aluminum.

On 12/11/2017 at 7:46 PM, Pagerunner said:

Two WoBs that had been hidden in Arcanum, since Brandon had referred me to Peter on them. But they're live now, with Peter's remarks:

Do we have a thread that discusses the Tension/Cohesion WoB? Because it looks like if what Brandon says about Bondsmiths having Cohesion is canon, then there's a conflict with the Willshapers surges.

5 minutes ago, Jhardin said:

Do we have a thread that discusses the Tension/Cohesion WoB? Because it looks like if what Brandon says about Bondsmiths having Cohesion is canon, then there's a conflict with the Willshapers surges.

Brandon deferred to Peter, and Peter said that Bondsmiths do not have Cohesion. There's not really anything for us to discuss - Team Sanderson will have to look into where the error was and make sure it gets addressed going forwards. But no Radiant aside from a Stonewards has actually used Cohesion yet, so there's no true contradiction.

Just now, Pagerunner said:

Brandon deferred to Peter, and Peter said that Bondsmiths do not have Cohesion. There's not really anything for us to discuss - Team Sanderson will have to look into where the error was and make sure it gets addressed going forwards. But no Radiant aside from a Stonewards has actually used Cohesion yet, so there's no true contradiction.

So they'll just have to go back and say retroactively how Dalinar rebuilt the temple then?

So when Peter said that the Stormfather's statement was wrong, I took that to mean that Bondsmiths have Tension.  The Stoneward used Cohesion not to repair but to transform.  Dalinar used Tension to repair.  The Stormfather's statement implied that the two orders shared Cohesion but they do not.  Tension is the overlap between the two orders but the Stormfather said they shared a surge when the Stoneward used Cohesion, a mistake.  According to Peter, the Ars Arcanum is right.