2017-11-18 [Oathbringer] Murder By The Book - Houston, TX

Pagerunner

So, signing in Houston. I'll be there, I'll be square, and I'll have a copy of the Mistborn board game with me, so I hope there'll be some space to play it. I'm new to the Texas area; any advice from those who have been to this venue before?

It looks like you need to purchase a copy of Oathbringer from the store in order to go through the signing line; anyone can come listen to the general Q&A, but they only give out signing line numbers to those who have bought the book from them. Signing line gets OB and 3 older titles signed; I might need to bring Alloy and Elantris 10th Anniversary, since they're thinner and I need space in my backpack for the board game! I can't decide if I should take off work on the 14th and drive over (I'm about an hour and a half away) to buy my copy in the store, or just get an ebook to read on Day One and buy it online from them. Has anyone ordered from them before? If I preorder a book, will it get there on release day?

Has anyone typically recorded the signing line in the past? I'd be down to buy some equipment, if no one else already has that covered. It would give me a good excuse to sit around playing House War, and maybe slip in some extra questions at the end.

EDIT: Full transcription of the event can be found here.

This would be close to a 4 hour drive for me depending on traffic. I've never been to a book signing before so it would be exciting to go. It's also during my vacation time and two days before my birthday so it'd be an early birthday present to myself.

For the 3 max I might bring Alcatraz 1, Elantris 10th and Arcanum Unbounded since I'd rather bring a big paperback and hardcover for signing.

If I'm there maybe we'd both play House War, though I've never played before.

Some friends and I will be headed to this signing as well.  We are gonna have between 3 and 6 as of right now and are all excited about the event.  I can guarantee we would all be up for a Mistborn board game to pass the time while waiting @Pagerunner.  As to your questions I called the store and talked to guy for a bit, you can pick up any book you order there either on release day or the day of the signing.  He did tell me the line order numbers will go first to people who are physically there on release day to purchase the book, the people that pre-order the book from them online will get signing line numbers after that.   My group is doing the pre-order and just planning on being there late that night.  (more time for Mistborn board game!)

It is also a 4 hour drive for us @Draginon (*DFW HighFive* I am assuming), but I make the drive several times a year for work so its not that big of a deal for me.  The BBQ place right off the highway in Centerville is a must stop for the trip, good food and home baked deserts too.

I haven't decided on what extra books I'm bringing to be signed except for my original copy of 'A Memory of Light'.  I might also do my Arcanum Unbound but I got plenty of time to decide.

From what I understand the priority of signing line numbers goes..

1. People who are physically at the store to buy the book on the release date

2. People who call in an order on release date

3. People who preorder online.[must mention in order comments that you want a signing line number]

If you preorderonline you can pick up your book the day of release or after and get your number then.

I've met Brandon at a signing at this venue before for The Alloy of Law release (I am from Houston), and aside from the books being a little pricey to purchase from them it is a good venue.

So happy that he is coming here again for Oathbringer!  Also they made this stop on a Saturday which could not be more perfect.  Now I will probably cancel my Kindle book order and purchase a hardcopy from the store now that I know Brandom is coming from H-town!  Does anyone know if anyone in his entourage is touring with him this time (ie Peter, Isaac)? 

On 8/11/2017 at 11:37 AM, phoenix2563 said:

I've met Brandon at a signing at this venue before for The Alloy of Law release (I am from Houston), and aside from the books being a little pricey to purchase from them it is a good venue.

So happy that he is coming here again for Oathbringer!  Also they made this stop on a Saturday which could not be more perfect.  Now I will probably cancel my Kindle book order and purchase a hardcopy from the store now that I know Brandom is coming from H-town!  Does anyone know if anyone in his entourage is touring with him this time (ie Peter, Isaac)? 

I seem to recall Peter saying he wouldn't be coming, but I'm not sure. I just asked Peter and Isaac on Twitter; I'm hoping one or both of them will be in Houston, because I've got some questions about languages and glyphs that Brandon probably wouldn't be able to answer (and definitely not have the time for).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Woo! I'll be there. I put my phone on the table for a voice recording of the signing line last time I attended, and I'm more than happy to do that again.

Main thing to know about the store is that it's really small, so definitely show up a bit early to get parking (generally on a back street), and a place where you can actually see Brandon, even if you might not get to sit down. Last time I had to stand around the corner and lean over a table to just be able to see him.

5 hours ago, Mark Lindberg said:

Woo! I'll be there. I put my phone on the table for a voice recording of the signing line last time I attended, and I'm more than happy to do that again.

I'm bringing a recorder, if you want to keep your phone on you. Not that there's anything wrong with two devices going at once in different locations... All it means is, of someone starts yelling next to one, then the other one should still be able to pick up Brandon.

• 2 weeks later...

Got myself a room in the Woodlands since it'll be too late to drive home after the signing, depending on how late it all goes but I'm assuming at least 3-4 hours. Almost to where I want to be in my reading when I go down (want to be on TWOK so I just need to finish Warbreaker and read Alcatraz 3 this week. Should be easy since I'm on vacation so I can get that done easily!) Just need to figure out how much money to bring to splurge at Murder since my mom says she'll get the book ordered over the phone so that it's on hold at the store to pickup. I know I'm going to pick up the last Sanderson books I don't yet own (Dark Talent, SOS, BOM and White Sand 2) and I'm thinking to pick up Jane Yolen's new book while I'm at it.

On 11/12/2017 at 5:02 PM, Draginon said:

Got myself a room in the Woodlands since it'll be too late to drive home after the signing, depending on how late it all goes but I'm assuming at least 3-4 hours. Almost to where I want to be in my reading when I go down (want to be on TWOK so I just need to finish Warbreaker and read Alcatraz 3 this week. Should be easy since I'm on vacation so I can get that done easily!) Just need to figure out how much money to bring to splurge at Murder since my mom says she'll get the book ordered over the phone so that it's on hold at the store to pickup. I know I'm going to pick up the last Sanderson books I don't yet own (Dark Talent, SOS, BOM and White Sand 2) and I'm thinking to pick up Jane Yolen's new book while I'm at it.

Unfortunately White Sand 2 is not out yet, and was recently delayed til February

6 minutes ago, CosmereQuestioner said:

Unfortunately White Sand 2 is not out yet, and was recently delayed til February

What is up with this release??? Are they even done with it? How is this so hard to release? Well that'll be one less thing I'll buy.

Anyway got my book ordered and it's currently on hold to be picked up Saturday. I'm #157 in line. Already know what three older titles to bring. Still figuring out what questions/customizations to ask.

Got my buddy and I #139 and #140 in the signing line order this morning!  Just got a text alert that my physical copy is waiting for me at my house right now too!  Storming exciting day!

Looking forward to hanging out with y'all at the store on Saturday.  Happy reading everyone.

@Iridium Savant just a few spots behind you. Can't wait for Saturday to arrive! This is going to be so exciting, been to a couple different signings before (Lemony Snicket was one but that was because he happened to choose my town for the book tour for The End and was just 5 minutes away) but never to one where I actually wanted to meet an author I liked.

Hey, if anyone is watching their emails, there was a typo from Team Sanderson! If you got an email saying it's at 6:00 PM... that's wrong! Brandon will probably still be there if you show up then, but 2:00 PM is when the event actually starts!

I'll be getting to the bookstore around noon, I think. I'll have a black backpack, with a two-inch plastic version of my profile pic on it. If you see me, come on over and say hi!

We'll see if there's enough space to set up a game of House War. I'm not thinking it'll be a good idea before the signing, but maybe while the line is going.