Tell us what we're doing, since we can't decide :P  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Tell us what we're doing, since we can't decide :P

• A Joe in the Forest
    • A Joe in the Court

This poll is closed to new votes

"All loyalties exposed, the Wood and the Court began to directly fight for an advantage..."

[I need sleep I'm sorry. I had to get up early today, and I need to work tomorrow.]

Orlok has been Lynched! They were a Witch!

Rendren has been Electred Forest Medium!

Barry Allen has been Elected Court Medium!

Marv has been appointed Protector of the Forest!

The Dragonslayer will be announced as soon as Barry Allen appoints them!

You have 23 hours to get your actions in and decide your fates...

Lynch:

Araris (4): Orlok, DA, Flash, El
Orlok (6): Dalinar, Burnt, Araris, Cloud, Budgie, HH

Court Medium:
Orlok (1): Flash
Flash (2): El, Flash

Forest Medium: 
DA (2); DA, HH
Cloud (3): Araris, Cloud, Dalinar

“Dawn had just broken on the sixth day when Coyote padded across the bridge, surveying the destruction his tools had wrought. Felled trees, abandoned buildings, bodies, still yet to be properly interred; all spoke of his fell cunning in culling the Forest and the Court alike.”

“A few stood still in the ramshackle Meeting Hall; the Court formed the majority, a definitive group lead by Young and Steadman. The remaining Forest dwellers seemed lost, shuffling aimlessly at the fringes.”

“Anansi and Elbe, however, each stood alone. Coyote turned to them first.”

“‘Ah, Wandering Eye! It’s good to see you, old one. And my Quicksilver! You’ve been using my power well?’”

“‘It is good to see you too, Coyote.’ Elbe seemed quiet, calm. But Coyote knew better. ‘You may claim to be a stone, Wandering Eye, but I can see the truth. You’re hurting, aren’t you?’ Although he seemed the picture of sympathy, faint laughter echoed in the wind.”

“Before Elbe could speak further, Anansi scuttled to Coyote’s side. ‘I think I have used my power well, Lord Coyote! Look how few remain!’”

“‘Hmm. My power, you mean?’”

“‘Yes, yes, of course, my Lord!’”

“‘Enough. I’ll be taking my power back, now.’ Anansi dropped, yellow light burning briefly in his eyes, before extinguishing.”

“Young glared at Coyote, anger warring with defeat on his face. ‘End this farce, Coyote. Why are you here? And why are there humans that have come from the Forest claiming I sent them there, when I did no such thing?’”

“‘Ahahahahahaha!’ Coyote rolled on his back, grinning and laughing madly. ‘Did you like my trick, Sir Young? Life was getting so terribly boring, with the Wood and Court separated, and things relatively peaceful.’”

“‘...Your own people fared even worse coming out of this than we did Coyote, how could you?’”

“‘Oh, don’t be a poor sport, Young. Anyways, you don’t think I really let them die, do you?’ Coyote’s paws elongating, becoming skeletal hands, he suddenly brandished a handful of totems, one for each who had fallen. ‘I can put things back the way they were before, if you really want.’ Coyote wound his way to Young’s side, resting his muzzle on the man’s shoulder. ‘I just need something from you. Your people acquitted themselves admirably, so it won’t even be very much.’”

“‘...What do you want?’”

“‘I want you to listen, and remember: Despite your accomplishments, you humans are not gods. And you never will be.’”

“Turning away, Coyote knew Young would mull over those words, and he would scheme to prove him wrong."

"Coyote knew this, and he smiled.”

The Court has... won? (Barely.)

Quicksilver, the Whitelegs, and the Forest have lost, and the Wandering Eye has neither lost nor won.

Good game, everyone! That was… interesting, I hope? :P (And fun as well, hopefully, although I know this game went a little sideways.) GM thoughts will come soonish (roughly 8 hours from now when I get up), along with explanations of the various secrets, and a complete player list.

Thanks a ton to Joe, for co-GMing. :P

Docs:

Thanks for running this! Overall I think this game was done very well. My largest complain was the lack of GM provided player lists each cycle, which was somewhat inconvenient. I am interested in hearing what happened the last night, since I thought the game would go for one more cycle.

15 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

Thanks for running this! Overall I think this game was done very well. My largest complain was the lack of GM provided player lists each cycle, which was somewhat inconvenient. I am interested in hearing what happened the last night, since I thought the game would go for one more cycle.

You both reached parity last the night before the Meeting; the only thing that changed was that you, Flash and Orlok died, leaving the Forest thread at parity, and giving the Court an edge in their thread. 

And, honest question here. How many people still keep notes as they play? Back in my day (:P), most people did, and for me personally, getting or not getting a player list doesn't inconvenience me much; I keep track of who died and what their role was in my personal notes. Really thought the main reason they didn't happen more was because I didn't think out rollover well; by the time midnight rolls around I can barely think straight (which I'm aware lead to some strange and contradictory rulings in the wake of rollovers >>) let alone remember everything I'm expected to put in a write-up. On that note, it's 1AM and getting to the point typing words is hard, so g'night. :P 

Okay, so the elim team on the court side is Drake, Orlok and Elbereth. Not so sure about Drake, extremely sure about these other 2. You see, Elbereth Stabbed STINK because she is now aware of the medium win-con, while the elims removed me because I’m the reason she was aware of the medium win-con. I expect either Elbereth or Orlok to run for medium next cycle. 

This comment is from the dead doc, though there were others further down - let me clarify a few things.

One, I was the Wandering Eye. I literally could not die through lynch, kill, taking the Test, or anything else (except the GMs modkilling for sending too many PMs :P). My win condition was to survive and win with Drought. (If Drought died, that win con changed to opposing whoever killed him.) (Side note: This made the game really, really really fun. I played without really caring about being suspicious, and pretty much only played to have fun. This is something that I'm sure will carry over into future games, and was wonderful to experience. Thank you to Joe and Aonar for that. :))

So, I told Orlok this N1 (through a relatively painless claiming process - though it revealed that he was evil, and so the reason I sent so many PMs is so that I could talk freely with Orlok without fear of discovery by the Engineer), and discovered that he was evil and so was Drought. In essence, I was a fourth eliminator with limited communication. Which was really nice, since Drought and Shqueeves were mostly inactive for most of the game. 

N2, I went into the Zeta dimension, and Lopen increased my chances of being converted. Which, it turns out, I'm immune to, so the spiders kind of fell off of me and went onto Drought instead, even though he wasn't Zeta, converting him to the win condition of being alive with Zeta and no other players at the end of the game. (I didn't know this until N3, when I was able to communicate with Drought. I knew my win con had changed, but because it was technically functionally the same I didn't get to know. Drought had to tell me his new one.) 
That night, Orlok (since he was a Witch, and it was a meeting) scanned Jondesu, and found out that he was an elim in the Forest, by the way. He thought there was no chance of failing because Shqueeves (the Etheric Scientist who could remove failure chances) had targeted him, but apparently Shqueeves didn't put in the order and the scan turned false. 

D3, Lopen was lynched, and Drought's win condition became impossible. 

N3, I found out about all of this, and Drought was willing to work with the eliminators he'd previously been a part of. Given that he now had a kill, this was useful. :P I killed Stink that night, out of fear that Stink would reveal us the next day, because he knew about Orlok and myself and had already shown himself to be displeased with our kills. Also, we knew that we were reaching endgame by then. (Rand, I knew Stink's win con since N1, since he told Orlok and Orlok told me. I don't even remember what PM you're referencing.)
I also PMed Eternum, the new medium, that night and told him to kill Jondesu, which is why he did so. It's rather unfortunate that Orlok's scan failed when he didn't think it would. >> That was also a ploy to get him to out me to this thread, potentially, but he never ended up doing so. (I was trying to accrue suspicion all game. I would be a terrible Jester.) 

D4, Drought was made Medium, and we hammer-voted Clanky because we thought that the numbers were such that we could win. My only worry, and the reason I asked Aonar directly in thread about Drought, was that Drought's win con would change to something that he could actually succeed with, thus removing himself and me from the eliminator team. I wasn't fond of that idea for a number of reasons. 

N4, I found out that Drought in fact did have a different win con - to make peace through killing literally everyone. :P So, a SK. I considered helping with this win condition, which was potentially achievable, but ultimately decided not to for a variety of reasons (mainly, discomfort with how broken it is for a member of the eliminator team to be converted and able to betray them, particularly without them even knowing that was possible since he never went into the Zeta dimension). I ultimately sided with Orlok, made Drought think that I'd help him tie the game even though I wasn't willing to kill everyone (sorry about that, Drought - I was initially genuine, and then realised how much Orlok didn't want to tie and agreed that the eliminators deserved a win if they could pull it off), and killed him that night as he killed Burnt (which hit Asterion, since Asterion was a Teleporter) and Orlok hit Drake. 

D5, obviously, we attempted to lynch Araris, but failed because Shqueeves, Polking, and Chaos were all inactive. >> 

N5, similarly, Flash was Medium but was inactive, so never made me Dragonslayer nor put in a kill (and I couldn't, I don't think, because I was never actually evil). If he had, I believe the game would've tied or we would've won, though I'm not certain which. 

Also, in explanation of my own win/loss, I created a paradox with myself. :P My win condition was for Drought to survive and win. I killed him. My second win condition was to oppose whoever killed him, which was me, so I oppose myself and want myself to lose, which I have, so I win? :P Et cetera. Which I knew would happen, and amuses me greatly. 

More thoughts may come, but that should clear at least a few things up. Thanks to @A Joe in the Bush and @Aonar Faileas for running this game, and it was fantastic fun! 

Wow. Sorry Araris and Doc for pulling you into my faction, killing you, and then losing. But at least it was fun? :P It really was, though. Thanks to Aonar and Joe for running it! (And also for introducing an excellent webcomic :P)

Edited by _Stick_

Wait, we won? I honestly didn't see that one coming. I mean, go court! Of course we won when our opponents where merely wee little forest animals :P.

Seriously though, well played to the elim team in the court thread, and thank you to @Elbereth for explaining what was actually going on. I'm sure everyone did very well on the forest side of things as well, though I haven't followed that as closely.

Also, it was nice to see that there was indeed something directly opposed to the medium win-con, as I predicted.

So I win? I guess?

That was a great game! Very fun, with so many twists and turns. There were many tense moments for us noble and brave few that lurked in the Forest. @_Stick_, you were so close to having the full Elim team in you suspicions time and time again! It made us quite paranoid, but you died for us, so thank you. 

And what can I say about that last meeting? Really got intense there too. Forest Elims, you had done your job well, but somehow you lost? we won anyways. A good game to you all!

2 hours ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

So I win? I guess?

That was a great game! Very fun, with so many twists and turns. There were many tense moments for us noble and brave few that lurked in the Forest. @_Stick_, you were so close to having the full Elim team in you suspicions time and time again! It made us quite paranoid, but you died for us, so thank you. 

Actually, I died for my own gain, but yeah. XD

I'm curious, @DroughtBringer, were you being honest with me in our PM the cycle before you died? Because your PM with Dalinar had all of us convinced that you were lying to us and fishing for information when you told him to target me with a kill.

And I guess the Forest elims didn't hit Dalinar the last night. That's the only way the game would have kept going.

Okay. GM thoughts.

So, Secret roles:

Wandering Eye: This one was kind of fun, conceptually. A Neutral that’s not actually neutral. They can’t die, don’t count for anyone’s win conditions; but they win which one of those win conditions; which one varying on the state of the game. I think El had fun with this one, on balance, although I know she wasn’t very happy with us after what happened to Drought. :P

Quicksilver: The conversion killer that had to kill themselves to convert. Probably my favourite role to come out of this game; although Stick may not have won, I hope she had fun possessing people. :P This is one I hope to see reworked into either an SK or Faction mechanic for Kandra in a Sanderson game. *Nudge*

Whitelegs: A standard SK (who has a very small chance to be added into the game, by another role), save the fact that they want to protect a certain player, who, notably, does not win with the SK. Although Lopen and Megasif died rather early, unfortunately, I think Drought did manage to have a bit of fun with this one. :P Again, I know El wasn’t happy with this, and I’ll touch on that a bit later, when I get to Zeta.

Secret Mechanics:

Main things here, are Zeta and the Mediums.

Zeta: Well, Zeta while Zeta only went off once, it went off early, during a meeting, and effected the maximum number of people possible. That was interesting. >> Honestly, it wouldn’t have had that large an impact; without Lopen’s influence (be getting to that in a moment) El wouldn’t have been effected at all, and Mega might have flipped alignments, rather than becoming a Whitelegs. Cutting off communications for those players had a very large effect though; one that wasn’t necessarily bad, but definitely did effect the game more than I expected. Now, on the secret (or at least, obscured) parts of that mechanic. Zeta’s role had a very (very) small chance to generate a Whitelegs naturally (something like a 2.5% chance) but Zeta was able to manipulate their realm, once inside it, in a similar manner to making everything boring. Given that everything in that realm has at least a degree of randomness, that’s a fairly strong ability. Lopen decided he wanted to up the odds of El and Megasif gaining secret alignments, and well, we all saw how that turned out. :P Honestly, I don’t think this was broken. Yeah, getting an SK thrown into an Elim team is bad, but, but really it hurts both factions about equally, and it’s definitely better than one of them flipping to villager; something that was made explicit in the rules, and, oddly, no one complained about the odds of happening. :P Also in Zeta’s realm, the OoA was randomized, targets could switch, and roles could have strange effects; a good example being Araris’s attack on El; in Zeta’s realm, the Engineer’s robot will attack any Dragonslayer, for flavour reasons. :P

Mediums and Guardians: Well, everyone learned this one, eventually. Not knowing how the game was going to play out, the Mediums were meant as a balancer, similar to Quicksilver; if one thread got too far ahead, the Medium could sow some chaos to try to ensure a tie. This… didn’t really happen, and it made me sad. :P

Misc:

Making Everything Boring: Stink never actually got a chance to use his role, and that made me sad. I was interested to see how this played.

Distribution: I’m still trying to decide if I got this wrong, or if I got this right. I gave the Elims on both sides a bit of info gathering, and some vote-manipulation, and balanced their numbers on the fact that Orlok and El would be working together (and that El was the Wandering Eye) and expected inactivity. I don’t think I got this way wrong, although I am clearly a little out of touch with which players are active and which aren’t. >> I didn’t do the same for the village factions, though. Pre-game, El and Orlok suggested putting all the older players in one thread, and newer in the other; you’ll notice, although this nearly happened, it didn’t quite; this is because I’d already done a distribution, and ended up with pretty close to this, anyways, and didn’t feel like changing it. However, this had a very notable impact; the Forest ended up with a lot more inactive and semi-active players, which hurt them. Not to say the Court wasn’t hurt by this either (would have been a much different game, were Meta active) but it was definitely worse on the Forest side.

The Test: This was… never actually utilized. Flash Tested due to his role, and there was lots of talk about using the Test to game-throw, but no one actually used it. :P (Drake did try to jump ship, but died first.) This… may not be a bad thing. Honestly, I’m still not sure how the Test would play out. In concept, I think it’s fine, but the relatively low number of players in each thread makes the game unstable as-is, and the Test only exacerbates that. That’s a big thing with much of this game; everything is very fragile, balance wise, but part of the idea is to have enough competing elements that they pull themselves back into balance. Which I think I nearly succeeded with, although not quite.

And yeah, at the moment, anyways, I think that’s about all. Regardless of all the above, hopefully everyone had fun. :P Let me know if I missed something.

Complete Player List: 

1. Locke Tekiel (Orlok Tsubodai) Witch
  2. Marv (Hemalurgic Headshot) Shadowman
  3. Straw (Straw) Forest Dweller
  4. Elbe (Elbereth) Wandering Eye
  5. Budgie (A Budgie) Telepath
  6. Altea Meza (Crimsn-Wolf) Barrier Mage
  7. Araris Valerian (Araris Valerian) Engineer
  8. Tautali Laust (Megasif) Forest Dweller
  9. Centaurus (Darkness Ascendant) Air Elemental
  10. Stick (Stick) Quicksilver
  11. Carrie Brule (Burnt Spaghetti) Student
  12. Koru (Doc12) Renard
  13. Bart Allen (Flash) Hollow Faerie, Telepath
  14. Clanky (Clanky) Demi Fire Elemental
  15. The Inspector (Paranoid King) Forest Dweller
  16. Reginald Canuk (Dalinar Kholin) Forest Dweller
  17. Sean (Polkinghornbd) Forest Dweller
  18. Anwir (Drake Marshal) Student
  19. Anansi (Metacognition) Student
  20. Fess (Arinian) Regional Faerie
  21. John (Winter Devotion) Student
  22. Jordren (Majestic) Anwyn
  23. Small Large (Stink) Making Everything Boring
  24. Lyren (Droughtbringer) Wisp
  25. Shqueeves (Shqueeves) Etheric Scientist
  26. Pickle (asterion137) Teleporter
  27. Rendren (cloudjumper) Rogat Orjak
  28. Kintas (Jondesu) Forest Dweller
  29. Lopen (TheMightyLopen) Zeta
  30. Noah (Eternum) Ysengrin
  31. Tarek (Randuir) Student
  32. Michelle (BrightnessRadiant) Student
  33. Ecthelion Student
  34. Loc (Lady of Chaos) Forest Dweller

Alright. First off, this was an amazingly fun game. Great job, GMs. It was pretty darn complicated, but all things considered, you guys did great.

Second, Joe, the writeup for my death was hilarious. I was in stitches. Well worth the wait.

Third, seriously GMs, what was the reasoning behind me being such an important Forest role? This was literally my second game xD

Also, sorry Jon. And Straw.

I'm kinda annoyed, cuz N1 I was gonna kill HH, and then Doc suggested I kill Straw, so then I was like "Uh.. ok.. Sure."

That could have possibly changed the game.

And then I became Medium and life got so much harder. So hard, in fact, that I died the next cycle.

Oh well.

At the beginning of the game I was really split. Do I roleclaim or not? I eventually did. My reasoning behind this was: The elims will either want to manipulate me or kill me, and I saw leaving me alone as a bad idea. They didn't do either. Leaving me alone did actually help them because I'm bad at this game :P

I figured, if they try to kill me I could just protect myself for a turn and give the village some breathing room.

If they tried to manipulate me I could either outright kill them or make them take the test, which had a 60% chance of adding another elim to the court thread (Sorry Court peeps :P )

Needless to say, my plan failed.

See: I'm bad at this game xD

Edited by Eternum