2017 Solar Eclipse - Plans? Plots? Potential Sharder Meet-ups?

Kaymyth

So, those of us who are in the continental United States are rapidly approaching what promises to be a spectacular celestial event - a total solar eclipse on Monday, August 21. It's going to wend its way across the country from Oregon to South Carolina, casting a shadow across thousands of miles of cities and towns.

For my part, I live in the Kansas City metropolitan area. Totality will hit on the northern side of the metro (I live on the south side), so we knew from the get-go we'd have to take some vacation time and travel northwards. And we figured if we're already going to have to drive, we might as well hit the centerline for maximum totality time. So we have a parking spot reserved at the airport on the south side of St. Joseph that sits practically right on top of that sweet spot. We also have friends who will be there as well, so we're going to have a little nerd eclipse tailgate party. Because why wouldn't you?

So, who's got big plans? How many big plans for other Sharders might happen to link up in the same place? Use this thread to coordinate and meet people!

And if by chance anyone else happens to have plans to be at the Rosencrans airport in St. Joseph, MO, y'all can come hang with me. :)

I literally lived 30 minutes from Portland just a few months ago, within driving distance of the path of totality.  Now, I'm well to the south of it.  Oh well, it will still be an interesting thing to look at.  By the way, don't forget to wear your eclipse glasses!  You still get UV light exposure, even though the sun is blocked.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

That was AMAZING! I live in the direct path (Rexburg), so I just saw the total eclipse. Anyone else see the total eclipse (or going to)?

I'm in Portland, and because of work I couldn't go the roughly 50 miles to see the totality. 

I'm jelly 

It was so amazing! The temperature dropped quite a bit, the sky was a gorgeous, dark periwinkle blue, crickets started chirping, and it was so quiet...until everyone at waterfront park started cheering. The solar flares were so clear and huge! Such an unforgettable experience!

I watched for about 30 minutes from BYU campus, where the peak reached roughly 90% of totality. It was super cool! My department at the library received several sets of free eclipse glasses from one of the sciencey journals we subscribe to, so my failure to find my own pair I could've sworn I had lying around didn't keep me from getting a good look. I took a photo with my cell phone through the glasses and will be posting it later when I have the chance.

got about 80% near me, which was pretty cool.  it was about as dark as if a thin cloud had drifted in front of he sun.  my desk at work is across from a westward facing window, so I barely had to get up to go check it out, which was nice at least