So I guess not very many people knew, but there is a board game by Crafty Games (the same people that created the Mistborn Adventure Series) Called "Mistborn: House War" on Kickstarter. I was just wondering if anyone that lives in or around the Salt Lake City area was planning on a release party (of sorts) to play the game with people who know whats up, Because I know a couple of people that want to play but there isn't an event. Heck, maybe we can get Brandon to come. he lives around here.

Just to clarify, I am not hosting a party. I was wondering if anyone else was.

(Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, but this seemed like the best place to put it.)

Just me again.

Edited by Themasterhunter
Extra information

We had been discussing the game over here, but that topic is kinda old.

I believe @Herowannabe is in the SLC area; he might have plans. Brandon will be in GenCon late August, so he might do something with the Crafty Games team there. But the only way to make sure there's a party is to throw one yourself!

12 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

We had been discussing the game over here, but that topic is kinda old.

I believe @Herowannabe is in the SLC area; he might have plans. Brandon will be in GenCon late August, so he might do something with the Crafty Games team there. But the only way to make sure there's a party is to throw one yourself!

Indeed I am in SLC, thanks for the mention! :)

Coincidentally, I just asked Crafty yesterday about doing a local release party and they responded today. I am now in touch with Ed over at @Crafty Games, and he said he needs a couple days to get stuff figured out. Regardless of what info/guidance they do or don't pass on to us, I would still like to do something when the game comes out, even if it's just gathering with a few friends at a local game store to play and eat pizza.

I know there are a few other board-gaming sharders in the area that get together and play sometimes, but alas I've never been invited to join them. I don't even know who all of them are, but I believe that @little wilson is one of them, so I'll go ahead and tag her and we'll see if we can't get everyone together to plan this. ;)

EDIT: actually, does the site allow for thread names to be edited? If so, I suggest changing the name of this thread to "Mistborn: House War Release party" or something like that, and we can use this thread to plan, and use the one that @Pagerunner linked for general discussion about the game. 

Edited by Herowannabe

1 hour ago, little wilson said:

We don't really do the game nights anymore, but maybe we could pull something together for this. @Rubix @firstRainbowRose what say you two?

Thanks. Also, you would probably have a better idea of how to go about this than I would: is there any way of getting Brandon to attend? Or at least get an invite sent to him (and/or the rest of Team Sanderson- I understand a few of them are more board-game-y than Brandon himself is)?

Thanks. keep everyone updated! (And I saw your post on kickstarter, that's why I was asking the question,) I dont know if there is a good way to invite Brandon, (or anyone else for that matter) until we have an actual time and place, (which we won't know until Crafty releases actual information about send dates.)

On places we could do it, there is a Blakfyre games in Lindon that might be willing to host something like this, And Dragon's Keep in Orem. I dont know if someone else would be willing to ask, Or if I should myself. I would wait until we have definite dates and times, however.

I can't find a way to edit the name, but just searching "Mistborn: House War" Should bring it up, if anybody is looking for something like this. 

Tell friends and hope that more people see this! 

On a later note, (once we actually have the games, who would be willing to bring them? or let them be used? Especially if more people show up, we will need games. I might be willing to bring mine, depending on where we do it.(I dont want it ruined))

Thanks again.

Edited by Themasterhunter
more info

14 minutes ago, Themasterhunter said:

I can't find a way to edit the name, but just searching "Mistborn: House War" Should bring it up, if anybody is looking for something like this. 

If you attempt to edit the OP, you can change the thread title. 

1 hour ago, Themasterhunter said:

Thanks. keep everyone updated! (And I saw your post on kickstarter, that's why I was asking the question,) I dont know if there is a good way to invite Brandon, (or anyone else for that matter) until we have an actual time and place, (which we won't know until Crafty releases actual information about send dates.)

On places we could do it, there is a Blakfyre games in Lindon that might be willing to host something like this, And Dragon's Keep in Orem. I dont know if someone else would be willing to ask, Or if I should myself. I would wait until we have definite dates and times, however.

Tell friends and hope that more people see this! 

On a later note, (once we actually have the games, who would be willing to bring them? or let them be used? Especially if more people show up, we will need games. I might be willing to bring mine, depending on where we do it.(I dont want it ruined))

Thanks again.

I'll have my copy of the game available to use, of course. 

As for venues, my FLGS of choice is Game Night Games in sugarhouse, though if we have a fair number of people from Lehi or southward who want to come it might be a little bit of a drive. But I'm on good terms with Game Night Games- I know the owner and I've helped them run a number of  tournaments and leagues, so I know that organizing something there won't be an issue (depending on the day of the week). 

Barring that, I know now there is a game store that has hosted a number of Magic events involving Brandon (actually it might be Dragon's Keep or Blakfyre- those names both sound familiar) so I'm sure they would be up for it as well, though I personally have never been there. 

Game Night Games isnt that far away. You could ask if they would be okay with something like that. I dont want this to happen at more stores than it needs to. I would rather have more people to play. 

Are they planning on buying any copies? You said something on kickstarter that made it sound like they could. (just to know if anybody is actually going to have to bring theirs) 

Sorry if I'm asking this question too early. 

The Calendar on this one might end up being a problem too, depending on when Crafty end up getting them shipped. From what I understand, It will be in about 3-4 weeks before we actually have them. School will be starting for a lot of people. (me too) so we could have less turnout than desired, especially on weekdays.

Just somethings to think about scheduling wise.

Re: Game Night Games venue: Again, I know them well and I'm sure they'll be okay with it. If we get a crazy turnout (ie: more than a dozen or so people) then we might have to do some special scheduling, but most evenings they'll have room for several M:HW games going simultaneously. 

Re: GNG ordering copies of the game:

TL;DR answer: Not planning to order copies at the moment, but they could be easily convinced to if there's an interest for them. 

extended answer:

As for them buying copies: well, here is what I know. I asked one of the employees the other day out of curiosity if they would be stocking any (because I noticed that they had the MAG on their shelves, which surprised me). He looked it up and it is in the system with regular distribution channels so they could easily order some copies if they wanted to, but they hadn't done so yet. He (the employee) thought that they probably would stock a few copies once it was released but it wasn't his decision. 

Now, if/when we arrange to host a release party there with them then I'm sure they will want to have a few copies on hand for it, which is why I asked Crafty about getting in on the kickstarter preorder. Once we get enough info from Ed that we can start planning a release party, and if we decide to go to GNG for it, then I'll approach GNG and talk them into preordering some copies to have on hand for the party. 

Worse case scenario: GNG typically offers a discount for preordering games, so they would be offering a discount on preordered copies for the retail (non-kickstarter) release in october. 

re: Shipping: If I'm understanding their most recent updates correctly, assuming things go well at the ports (ie: 1 week or less for customs) then Crafty will have the product in their warehouse within 1 - 1 1/2 weeks, and then they'll start shipping them to US customers. That means we could be receiving them as early as 2 weeks from now. In another place Crafty said that right now it's looking promising for the game to be mailed out before Gen Con (8/17), so that would again put us in the 2-3 week range. 

I don't know when school starts, but you're right, we should try to accommodate that. A Friday or Saturday evening works best for me, so maybe we should plan on that anyway, even if the game arrives a few days before that (like a Tuesday or something). 

EDIT: I should note that I'm still not set on GNG as the ideal location for the release party- it depends on how many Sanderfans south of Lehi are interested and willing to travel. 

Edited by Herowannabe

Even putting it more south we will still have a travel problem for some people. I don't know if that will solve any problems. there are some more north than are willing to come too, probably. It would be nice if we had a map with everyone on it, but we don't, and so we can only go so far with venue. Same type problems for schedule. Some people aren't going to be able to come.

If anyone wants to give a city, or how far theyd be willing to travel, that would be great, but so far there are only 4-5 people that might be coming.

We will just have to wait for more information.

I can talk to Blakfyre. Maybe see if they would be chill with hosting it, but I think that either way we are going to have travel problems with someone.

I spoke to the owner of Game Night Games tonight- they are happy to host us. And it sounds like they'll probably be ordering a few copies of the game in case anybody wants one and didn't order it through the kickstarter. They said that Saturday evenings are typically the best for them, and since it sounds like that also works best for all of us I think we should plan on that. 

Still waiting to hear back from Ed from Crafty Games for exact details on when we can expect to receive the game and any other direction for the party that they feel like giving us. 

EDIT: Looking at things... the pledge manager closes on the 7th and the boat is working its way through customs right now. So it's possible the game could start shipping as early as 1 week from now. As such, I think we're looking at either the 19th or 26th for our party. There's a small chance the game might get here by the 12th, which would be incredible, but alas I am not free the 12th, and neither is Game Night Games. I am actually running a different event there that night :rolleyes: (anyone play X-Wing? Come join us!)

Edited by Herowannabe

45 minutes ago, firstRainbowRose said:

No promises, but it does improve your chances.

Improve our chances of what exactly? :huh: Regardless, I know that Game Night Games has emailed Crafty to order copies of the M:HW to have on hand and they're setting aside space for us for the release party, so it would be kind of awkward to change venues at this point in time.

Now we just need word from Crafty so we can set a firm date/time. 

In other news, it looks like we will be able to get ahold of some official promo stuff for the release party. :) I don't want to say too much at this point (partially because I don't know a lot of the details myself, and it's not 100% set in stone yet...), but just know that that is in the works. ;)

6 minutes ago, Ecthelion III said:

When's the exact release date?

Long story short: we don't know. Crafty doesn't even know. 

The shipping container (for North America) is currently working its way through customs and being transpsorted to Crafty's warehouse. Once they receive it they can start processing and shipping out orders. 

So it could be in our hands in roughly 1-2 weeks. 

Probably worth noting that from my understanding there will be a significant gap between when US backers start receiving their copies and when it's available in retail. From one of the updates "Still, everyone should receive their items well ahead of the game releasing through distribution (currently slated for October worldwide)." Just something to keep in mind when considering timing as the game store won't have copies available for some time yet if that's a factor.

Hums to consideration.

Edited by Claincy

7 hours ago, Claincy said:

Probably worth noting that from my understanding there will be a significant gap between when US backers start receiving their copies and when it's available in retail. From one of the updates "Still, everyone should receive their items well ahead of the game releasing through distribution (currently slated for October worldwide)." Just something to keep in mind when considering timing as the game store won't have copies available for some time yet if that's a factor.

Unless they get in on the Kickstarter by preordering before the pledge manager closes tomorrow- which is exactly what they're doing. In which case they will receive their copies of the game at the same time as all the other backers. ;)

10 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Unless they get in on the Kickstarter by preordering before the pledge manager closes tomorrow- which is exactly what they're doing. In which case they will receive their copies of the game at the same time as all the other backers. ;)

In which case you don't need to worry about that at all :) 

I'd come but, you know, opposite side of the world. :(

Hums to peace.

Edited by Claincy