References

So really, has anyone noticed the different references are made in Alcatraz. I just finished listening to the first one, and noticed a few different comments that Sanderson made that had to be references to other literary works, and not just his own works, but I am sure there is a reference to the Count of Monte Cristo when they are thrown in jail. Anyone else notice these? I'm pretty sure he is referencing partially to either Harry Potter or books like that at the end where the kids always go back to where it would be easy to find them

Yes, Brandon refers to a lot of things in Alcatraz. At the end of the first book it's definitely making fun of Harry Potter and in his "Ways Alcatraz Doesn't Want to Die" list it says "being sewed by J.K. Rowling". I wouldn't be the one to ask about Count of Monte Cristo though. Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

Another reference is to his Mistborn novels. One of the Smedry's has a talent for speaking gibberish, and says something like "Wasing the want of here," or something along those lines. That refers to Spook in The Final Empire.