Fortress - Band/SH Spoilers

jmass12

I'm going to have to weigh in on the side of looking too hard. 

The Ire fortress existed completely in the Cognitive Realm. It had to. It wasn't on a planet. Foot patrols and wall crenelations and windows you can climb through don't lend themselves well to space. 

On 31/07/2017 at 0:56 AM, Calderis said:

I'm going to have to weigh in on the side of looking too hard. 

The Ire fortress existed completely in the Cognitive Realm. It had to. It wasn't on a planet. Foot patrols and wall crenelations and windows you can climb through don't lend themselves well to space. 

On the space thing, I feel like there are conflicting statements. 

This WoB refers to being on Scadrial, which kind of makes sense because space is supposed to have very little presence in the Cognitive Realm and Kel, like any normal Cognitive Shadow, is bound to the place their investiture is tied to

BLIGHTSONG

Is it normal for people to become connected to an area after being there for a bit, like with Kel and wherever he was when he found the Ire, or is something special going on?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It is normal for a cognitive shadow to get stuck to places, because they exist through investiture it is normal for them to get tied to an area. Kelsier was still in Scadrial when he found the Ire. This happened with Odium and the two shards on Roshar, Preservation to Ruin, and the Heralds (To Roshar? Braize?). (I think this is basically what happens with shards when they invest on a planet, so this same thing happens at smaller levels than shards.)

But then Secret History has Preservation saying this. 

“The Ire built a city,” Preservation said, softly. “In a place between worlds . . .”

“No. They’re beyond me. I . . . I cannot depart this land. I’m too Invested in it, in every rock and leaf.”

And having just reread those SH chapters it's quite clear he's gone far - Ruin no longer has influence and he can no longer even see the sun.

The best I can think of is that the WoB is referring to the Scadrian system and Preservation is only invested in the planet. This one bugs me a little. 

I am also inclined to think the fortresses are unrelated. They could be as Kel saw the IRE one first and could have modeled it. But I think there would need you be a real reason he would do so. But I'm doing a SH reread so I'll see what I notice. 

Edited by Extesian
Updated

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2017 at 0:40 AM, Extesian said:

On the space thing, I feel like there are conflicting statements. 

This WoB refers to being on Scadrial, which kind of makes sense because space is supposed to have very little presence in the Cognitive Realm and Kel, like any normal Cognitive Shadow, is bound to the place their investiture is tied to

BLIGHTSONG

Is it normal for people to become connected to an area after being there for a bit, like with Kel and wherever he was when he found the Ire, or is something special going on?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It is normal for a cognitive shadow to get stuck to places, because they exist through investiture it is normal for them to get tied to an area. Kelsier was still in Scadrial when he found the Ire. This happened with Odium and the two shards on Roshar, Preservation to Ruin, and the Heralds (To Roshar? Braize?). (I think this is basically what happens with shards when they invest on a planet, so this same thing happens at smaller levels than shards.)

Actually, I think the conflict is less than you think, and more because of Brandon being tricky.  The WoB you quoted doesn't say he was on Scadrial, it says he was in Scadrial.  I suspect both the solar system and the planet would be called Scadrial, and Brandon was saying that Kelsier technically hadn't left the Scadrian system, even if maybe that's more of a Cognitive distinction than an actual physical space one, but had (at least mostly) left the planet Scadrial.

• Chaos locked this topic