What should I look for in my first reading of Warbreaker?

Napoli

I have not yet read Warbreaker but have heard great things - especially how learning about Nightblood reshapes your understanding of the Stormlight books.

As I prepare to read it, what should I be on the lookout for to get the best experience possible?

7 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Hmmm...without spoiling too much, just watch out for how certain characters behave. 

Pay attention to advice that is given between characters. There is certainly a trail of breadcrumbs to follow there...

2 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

Pay attention to advice that is given between characters. There is certainly a trail of breadcrumbs to follow there...

Both are quite correct in their assessments. I would also add that you should enter as well as observe the events throughout with a critical and open mind.

9 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Hmmm...without spoiling too much, just watch out for how certain characters behave. 

On 7/27/2017 at 11:57 PM, Napoli said:

As I prepare to read it, what should I be on the lookout for to get the best experience possible?

Understand that, like Elantris, the story takes a little while to get going into full swing. There's some great snippets of info and foreshadowing in the early chapters that most of us breeze by because the story starts slow(which is something we do in every story/movie/etc.. that starts slow, to be fair)

Basically, you're gonna learn things by the end of the book that might blow your mind. When you reread the early chapters and understand the foreshadowing, it will blow your mind that you missed such "obvious clues." Accept that possibility and enjoy the story, rather than overanalyzing every detail right off the bat. By all means, reread a passage or two, but don't get so caught up trying to not get tricked that you lose sight of the actual story.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know, I kind of like reading books just for the fun of the story the first time. And the second time. It's so much more interesting to find things you missed and make connections after you actually know (and like) the story than to hunt for details along the way but miss the big picture. I kind of did that with Elantris

• 2 weeks later...

If you are reading E-book editions, always try to get one with annotations. Don't read them until after you've finished the book, this way you avoid spoilers, and you can better understand the "bigger picture" of what's going on in the book. The annotations are awesome too go back and read. Plus, it helps make the book last longer. It's not totally over once you finish reading it. You've still got more to read. I'm often sad once I finish a book, but this way, you still have wonderful insights and it extends the novel for you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2017 at 8:15 PM, HoidIsMyHomeboy said:

If you are reading E-book editions, always try to get one with annotations. Don't read them until after you've finished the book, this way you avoid spoilers, and you can better understand the "bigger picture" of what's going on in the book. The annotations are awesome too go back and read. Plus, it helps make the book last longer. It's not totally over once you finish reading it. You've still got more to read. I'm often sad once I finish a book, but this way, you still have wonderful insights and it extends the novel for you.

I did it this way and boy oh boy was I not disappointed. I love me some Sanderson annotations.

• Chaos locked this topic