Uses of Hemalurgy

Ceradis

1 minute ago, StrikerEZ said:

Yeah, that was my second thought. 

But my first was "Why would a bear-rat like children and hug them and stuff?"

For some reason I thought it was like as in liking something, not liking the taste of something. :P

"...and the latest creation of the Cosmere Kids Network is 'The Flying Bear-rat Love Brigade.' stay tuned to find out which world their visiting next!"

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

"...and the latest creation of the Cosmere Kids Network is 'The Flying Bear-rat Love Brigade.' stay tuned to find out which world their visiting next!"

Simultaneously hilarious, and terrifying, have an upvote.

I feel like hemalurgy could potentially be used to fuse living tissue and mechanical components ala moving around, reshaping, and adapting the internal organs and nerves. I'm thinking artificial limbs and terminator style human-robot hybrids, but with much less need for advanced technology and super-computing. Basically circumventing the impossibly difficult engineering problem of interfacing brains to machines by using strategically placed spikes to staple things together. Control them with nicrobursts and rioters/soothers and invade non-metallic art possessing worlds. Sixth of Dusk sequel anyone?

21 hours ago, Extesian said:

Oversleep is right of course.  The new ending is for character reasons but doesn't change any realmatics or anything. Both editions are canon

There's also WoP in one of the Edgedancer threads.
It's here:

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

There's also WoP in one of the Edgedancer threads.
It's here:

Honestly I thought I was going insane... I had the Audio books the hardback, the E-Book, and the GraphicAudio version of these books, and as I listened to the GA version... I was saying to my self, I am pretty sure Szeth got burnt by Kaladin, only later when I went back and checked the Ebook, which I had originally read, Kaladin didn't kill him,  then I looked it up in the HardBack and it was there... and I began to wonder... which of these was written in metal???

*edit* and is Brandon trying to get really really META with this series?

Edited by Hawkido

13 hours ago, Hawkido said:

Honestly I thought I was going insane... I had the Audio books the hardback, the E-Book, and the GraphicAudio version of these books, and as I listened to the GA version... I was saying to my self, I am pretty sure Szeth got burnt by Kaladin, only later when I went back and checked the Ebook, which I had originally read, Kaladin didn't kill him,  then I looked it up in the HardBack and it was there... and I began to wonder... which of these was written in metal???

*edit* and is Brandon trying to get really really META with this series?

Hmm I did a similar thing when the change happened, I didn't even consider shardic influence though ;)

I seriously doubt that he did either, but that would be amazing.

On 7/24/2017 at 6:08 PM, Extesian said:

I can’t find anything more formal for the ‘hemalurgy doesn’t work on trees’ claim. Reddit user Phantine has put it up a few times,

It's in the edit history(which nobody but me ever checks..)

(Exact quote: Q:Trees are living, so can you perform Hemalurgy on them? A:"Hemalurgy doesn't really work on trees.")

It retains the "citation needed" because a source is not provided, but it's there.

On 7/25/2017 at 11:35 PM, Extesian said:

I think that spiking into an entire population a love of eating chicken, and then denying them chicken, is the ultimate weapon.

Q: Is it possible to steal more than just spiritual DNA with Hemalurgy? If you, say, infused someone with a hundred Hemalurgic spikes charged from people who liked chicken, would the spike person enjoy chicken as well?

A: You can steal quite a lot with Hemalurgy. Anything encoded on a person's soul, really. Not sure if chicken liking counts, though...

Source.

• 4 months later...

I wonder if you could steal what they have in their stomach at the time, like could you spike them if they were full, and then you can be full (I know, it is a horrible waste, but that's how hemalurgy works.)

Edited by ookla the aes sedai

yes, that works too, but what I was wondering is if, someone else has a full stomach(not just nutrition, but physical food in their stomach), and you spike them, can you also have a full stomach? will it last longer, or will it disappear just as fast as if you had eaten food?

1 hour ago, ookla the aes sedai said:

yes, that works too, but what I was wondering is if, someone else has a full stomach(not just nutrition, but physical food in their stomach), and you spike them, can you also have a full stomach? will it last longer, or will it disappear just as fast as if you had eaten food?

That might be less likely to work. Hemalurgy deals with the Spiritual and that seems like a purely physical situation, I don't think there's a spot in the spiritweb regarding how full your stomach is.

On 7/25/2017 at 3:07 AM, Hawkido said:

That is a good WoB.  I haven't seen that one before, there are a bunch and finding them all is tough.  That A, F, and H were a product of the Shards and the planet reacting to each other.  But I still hold that Hemalurgy doesn't have a focus other than Loss.  That is what is required (repeatedly stated over and over every time a Hemalurgic artifact is created) there must be loss.  The fact it is using a metal is (as I see it) because it is stealing a power that uses a metal as a focus.   However, that last is what I am focusing on.  It shouldn't be that hard to find an exclusive statement that Hemalurgy requires a metal, but the exclusive statement is not there.

Except we have examples allready where Hemalurgy takes things that don't use metal as a focus. Koloss and Kandra are created using metal spikes containing generic attributes.

spikes containing less generic attributes than were in the original host and all other attributes were lost.

There, fixed it for you.

Remember, 1 spike, 1 attribute per victim.

That is why spiking a full mistborn or full ferochemist were considered a waste.

Edited by Hawkido

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 3:07 AM, Hawkido said:

The fact it is using a metal is (as I see it) because it is stealing a power that uses a metal as a focus. 

You assume incorrectly:

Questioner (paraphrased)

If I wanted to Hemalurgically acquire a power from First of the Sun, which metal would the spike need to be?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

This is going to be pretty complicated, but several metals would work.

Questioner (paraphrased)

Would it involve Connection between the person being spiked and the bird?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Well it would be even harder than on Roshar, where you need to somehow spike the Spren and also the Radiant. You would need to spike the bird and steal the power, but also spike the person and steal Connection.

• Chaos locked this topic