Mary Robinette Kowal

• 2 weeks later...

Howard said in the comments that they'd probably only do guest episodes when one of them is gone. That's my single issue with Mary: Dan seems to be talking a lot less. But she's been a great insight, that's for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually preferred the podcast before her addition. Not sure why exactly but oh well! I need to catch up on most of the episodes since she joined and maybe I'll have a better opinion then.

I felt the same way at first, but I think it was just a matter of her settling in and everybody sort of recalibrating, and I have to admit, also likely a matter of me getting used to her voice. At first, she stuck out like a sore thumb, but in more recent episodes the conversation seems to flow much more smoothly and her input is good.

Bonus benefit: Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there's less rambling and more banter, which I'm entirely in favor of.

I read and enjoyed Shades of Milk and Honey and I enjoyed it. I think Mary offers a great perspective in the podcast. However, I have also noticed a distinct lack of Dan lately, and all the new podcasts feel like they go very quickly with everyone trying to get in their opinions (and wisecracks) in the limited amount of time. Not sure if a time increase would help, but there is certainly less time for tangents and stories.

Edited by Gustopher

• 3 months later...

I too thought that Mary disturbed the crew in the beginning, but by now she has become essential. Not only does she have good advice but she also has a different perspective. She writes different stories than the others and has experience in the audio-visual genre, with really adds to the podcast (much like Howards perspective based on comics). And, also, she has turned out to be easily as funny and snappy as the others. Also, I like how she often takes up moderating when Brandon is not around; I think she does it better than Howard and Dan (iirc).

In short: I like her on the podcast, keep her!

Five minutes more seem like a good idea, though.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Speaking as someone who started listening AFTER Mary was brought on, I enjoy a female author's perspective. She's very insightful about HOW to do things.

I've also noticed that Dan speaks less in the later seasons, but I've been starting at season 1, and he's still the one that says the least. But I like that he seems to think his answers through more carefully than the other men, which makes all his responses very thought-provoking.

Back to Mary--I love that she's now on the podcast. I really enjoyed reading Shades of Milk and Honey and Kiss Me Twice.