Nazh's Real Name

I will begin with a quote found in the postscript of shadows for silence in arcanum unbound,

Someday, someone will pull out of us what Nazh’s real name is.

Challenge Accepted!

We know that Isaac Stewart named Nazh and Threnody (and presumably named the rest of the planets in the system.)

All of the planet's mean a song for a deceased person, a Threnody is a wailing ode composed as a memorial to a dead person. A Monody is a pome in which one person laments the death of another, an elegy is a poam of serious reflection usually a lament for a loved one. And a Coronach is the third round of a a keening (a scottish gaelic lament for the dead.)

All of the planets are named after a death lament and for good reason (the shard of Ambitions death at the hands of Odium.) The whole system of planets has a serious death theme and the story that takes place in that system (Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell) also has a serious death vibe, thus we can postulate that Nahz’s name has something to do with death.

The rules on how to deal with ghosts are based of of Jewish laws and the name Silence comes from the Puritans, I believe it's safe to assume that Nazh's true name has a religious motif as well as a death motif.

According to Wikipedia the Jewish name for the angel of death is Azriel. A nickname often stems from part of the real name, such as Steven being shortened to Steve.

Therefore I believe that Nash's real name is Nazriel, it has a religious motif and can be shortened into Nazh.

My guess as to Nazh’s real name is highly based on guesswork and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it.

I was really wondering about that question too!  This may be an uninformed question, but how do we know Nazh is from Threnody?

Also, I like the motif idea, but I thought the quote maybe meant that Nazh's name had some reference to the Cosmere or had some connection to other characters we know?  That was just the idea I had but I might have been reading too much into it.  Thanks for the info on the naming of Threnody's planets too, that's really cool!

Edit: Just face palmed there, realized the note about Nazh was in the Shadows for Silence postscript.  Duh.  I would still like to know if Nazh's name is relevant to anything else besides just fitting in with Threnody, though.

Edited by Taliax

4 minutes ago, 18th Shard said:

I believe it has been confirmed to be Nazrilof.

Ah, well that's a cool name!  Do you know where that got confirmed?

Edit: Whoops, ninja'd

Edited by Taliax
Ninja'd

4 minutes ago, Windrunner said:

I think Nazrilof itself is just a nickname too. Nazh's real name is unknown and it something Puritanical sounding like other names from Threnody, if I recall correctly.

That's... Evil. 

So we have a nickname of a nickname. 

Puritanical... So he's named something like Nathaniel Azriel Offenheim or something and his nickname is some compound of it all? 

Bah. Confirmation of falsehood. 

7 hours ago, Windrunner said:

I think Nazrilof itself is just a nickname too. Nazh's real name is unknown and it something Puritanical sounding like other names from Threnody, if I recall correctly.

That's my thoughts as well.

8 hours ago, Windrunner said:

No idea where, but I distinctly remember reading that Nazrilof is specifically his last/family name, and that it's his first name that's unknown and Brandon's been teasing us about. 

14 hours ago, Scriptorian said:

No idea where, but I distinctly remember reading that Nazrilof is specifically his last/family name, and that it's his first name that's unknown and Brandon's been teasing us about. 

This is what I heard as well. I think it was from the AU shardcast. 

23 hours ago, The Forgetful Archivist said:

The rules on how to deal with ghosts are based of off Jewish laws

This is what Brandon says, and while I think it is a valiant attempt, those aren't really the Shabbat rules. There are 39 rules, and one of them is no fire. So that does correspond with one of the Simple Rules. However, running is allowed, and drawing human blood isn't really ever allowed unless it's necessary. Drawing blood for meat is allowed. So I'm not really sure where he got the idea that those two sets of rules are similar.

2 hours ago, Figberts said:
On 7/21/2017 at 11:57 PM, The Forgetful Archivist said:

The rules on how to deal with ghosts are based of off Jewish laws

This is what Brandon says, and while I think it is a valiant attempt, those aren't really the Shabbat rules. There are 39 rules, and one of them is no fire. So that does correspond with one of the Simple Rules. However, running is allowed, and drawing human blood isn't really ever allowed unless it's necessary. Drawing blood for meat is allowed. So I'm not really sure where he got the idea that those two sets of rules are similar.

You may want to take a look at this thread:

On 7/21/2017 at 9:04 PM, Taliax said:

I was really wondering about that question too!  This may be an uninformed question, but how do we know Nazh is from Threnody?

Word of Brandon here and Khriss mentions it in Arcanum Unbounded's essay on the Threnodite System, where we also got 'Nazrilof' confirmed in book form.

I know you already spotted the postscript thing, just wanted to put out those sources as alternate examples.

Edited by Weltall

• Chaos locked this topic