Why are they Different?

The One Who Connects

Short and simple premise today. I found a WoB and didn't know what to do with it.

Chromium(Leecher) can drain Metalminds.

KAYMYTH

OK, so in the signing line, I asked the question about chromium vs a Compounder with both invested and uninvested metals in both their stomach and piercings.

BRANDON SANDERSON

1) Yes, the piercings will get burned off.

2) The noninvested metals go before the invested ones. He said that because invested metals are harder to effect, it takes a little extra time and effort to get them to burn off. So a Leecher trying to clean out a Compounder would have to get a good grip and hang on for a few seconds.

3) Chromium burns about as quickly as duralumin, so if you're trying to burn off a lot of metals, it is possible to run out of chromium before your target is clean. This would probably only be an issue when dealing with larger pieces (like jewelry) rather than your standard metal-flakes-in-the-stomach deal.

Nicrosil(Nicroburst) cannot. (which was news to me, who just thought it was unknown)

zas678 (Reddit.com)

I almost forgot! If you burn Nicrosil, will it deplete Feruchemial Storages? Or just Allomantic?

Brandon Sanderson (Reddit.com)

Just Allomantic.

Question 1: Why?
Question 2: Do Aluminum/Duralumin follow this pattern?
Question 3: Opinions on what this means for the magic/the future?

18 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Short and simple premise today. I found a WoB and didn't know what to do with it.

Chromium(Leecher) can drain Metalminds.

Nicrosil(Nicroburst) cannot. (which was news to me, who just thought it was unknown)

Question 1: Why?
Question 2: Do Aluminum/Duralumin follow this pattern?
Question 3: Opinions on what this means for the magic/the future?

I don't think it effects metalminds (slight caveat below) , just spikes. 

It attempts to burn off any metals inside the body, and would target normal metals first. So I guess if a feruchemist (or more likely a compounding twin born) swallowed their metalmind or put it under the skin to help resist steel pushes it could be effected. But it's mainly going to go for non-invested metals (Allomancy) and piercings (hemalurgy) 

Edit: I would guess aluminum does the same. 

Nicrosil and duralumin both enhance active burns and not the Metal itself. I think that's the difference. 

Edited by Calderis

My take is this.

Chromium disintegrates the metal without attempting to burn it.

Question

Aluminum, when you burn aluminum, does it actually destroy the metals or just take away their power?

Brandon Sanderson

It destroys the metals.

Question

Same with chromium?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Question

So it actually gets rid of the metals?

Brandon Sanderson

It actually trans-- It does a-- matter, energy, investiture are the same things in the cosmere. You have some sort of transfer happening relating to those things.

Question

The question sort of relates to metal poisoning--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, you would not get metal poisoning after that.

Whereas nicrosil is actually burning it in one instant. Since feruchemical storages are much harder to burn then non-invested ones, I think he’s saying that it’s easier for chromium to do so because it’s not trying to ‘burn’ the metal ie access power through it, it’s just…converting it to a non-investiture state.

Hmm that doesn’t feel too helpful now I’ve put it in words. Best I got.

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

I don't think it effects metalminds (slight caveat below)

You caveat makes sense, but since the WoB said "trying to clean out a compounder," Metalminds are the first assumption

Edit: It makes sense @Extesian. Had forgotten about that WoB.

Edited by The One Who Connects

Just now, The One Who Connects said:

You caveat makes sense, but since the WoB said "trying to clean out a compounder," Metalminds are the first assumption

And I'd take that to mean the metal they've ingested to compound and not what their wearing, but I could be wrong. 

4 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Edit: It makes sense @Extesian. Had forgotten about that WoB.

The question also says stomach and piercings, specifically. I think it will burn metalminds, but only if they are inside the body or piercing the body like TLR's Atiumminds, not if they're simply worn.

Which ironically means that if people had known about Chromium in Era 1, a Leecher or Mistborn could kill TLR. No wonder he kept the other metals secret...

(Though they'd have to maintain contact for a few seconds, which might be really hard. Depends how complacent he was/how quick he reacted, and whether he went around all the time with a full set of metalminds.)

6 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

His metalminds were also heavily invested, so it would probably take even longer. Same with many Hemalurgic spikes.

Unless the spike was also used as a metalmind, it would be on the lower end. They don't actually remove a lot of investiture. It's the structure of the soul "section" that they steal and then staple in, which is why bind points are so important. 

Spoilered for length 

Spoiler

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1047#12

HEROWANNABE

I’m curious, I’ve got a list of various cosmere bits of metal, and I wonder if you would rank them from like 1 to 10 or easy to difficult on how hard it would be to steelpush on them?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Okay.

HEROWANNABE

So, like metal inside a person’s body?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It depends on how strong the investiture in them is.

HEROWANNABE

Is that going to be the answer for all of these?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Probably. :)

HEROWANNABE

How about a spike charged with Hemalurgy? Not in a person.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Not in a person? It depends on how strong—yeah. A spike is moderately—in the realm of these sorts of things—moderately easy to push on, because a spike does not rip off very much investiture. Only enough to short circuit the soul, and it loses that over time. So I would put that at the bottom—with the top being very hard—to be one of the easier things.

HEROWANNABE

How about a metalmind? A feruchemy metalmind that is "full."

BRANDON SANDERSON

That is going to be middle of the realm. Generally easier than, for instance, a shardblade, which is going to be very hard.

AARADEL

But a shardblade isn’t actual metal. Ish?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Ish. Is Lerasium a metal? Yeah.

HEROWANNABE

So would that be the same for Shardplate, too?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Shardplate and blade are very hard. Blade is probably going to be harder. [...]

HEROWANNABE

Halfshard? Like a halfshard shield?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Halfshard shield is going to be in moderate.

HEROWANNABE

Nightblood? I imagine is going to be very difficult.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Very hard. Of all the things you’ve listed, he’s the hardest. Far beyond even a shardblade.

HEROWANNABE

Far beyond metal inside a person?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, depending on how invested the person is.

AARADEL

If someone was invested as much as Nightblood I’m pretty sure it’s going to be very difficult.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, for instance, the Godking, at the end, with all of those Breaths. Pushing on something inside of him? Getting through all that? Gonna be REAL hard. Average person on Scadrial? You’ve seen how hard that is. A drab? Much easier.

HEROWANNABE

That was actually going to be my next one- No, sorry, not a drab, a Lifeless.

BRANDON SANDERSON

A Lifeless. Lifeless are kinda weird, because they’ve had their soul leave, but then they’ve had a replacement stuck in, in the form of Breath, which puts them in a really weird position compared to a Drab, which has had part of their investiture ripped away, but the majority of it remains. So anyway, I’m going to give you one more. Pick your favorite.

HEROWANNABE

Okay, a soul-stamped piece of metal.

BRANDON SANDERSON

A soul-stamped piece of metal is going to be on the lower, easier side. Not a lot of investiture going on in a soulstamp.

On 7/19/2017 at 9:31 AM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

His metalminds were also heavily invested, so it would probably take even longer. Same with many Hemalurgic spikes.

I don't think they were any more invested than anybody else's metalminds. They weren't very big (WOA talks about how Vin and Elend sold the atium from them, but there really wasn't that much) so they couldn't hold terribly much.

8 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

They didn't have metal lines, so they had to be heavily invested. Otherwise people would have noticed them under his suit. 

Well they were at least moderately invested. They're how he avoided death after all. In addition though, he'd built them to pierce his skin on the interior so they counted as "inside" his body and gained additional protection against push/pulling. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=727#16

DALENTHAS (15 OCTOBER 2008)

Did the Lord Ruler have any Hemalurgic spikes in him? It would seem he'd need to for Ruin to influence him, but it wasn't mentioned. Or did his bracers work as spikes?

BRANDON SANDERSON (16 OCTOBER 2008)

His arm bracers, which pierced his skin, were his spikes.

As for the hemalurgic side of it... I have no idea. 

18 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

This was clarified later; they were not Hemalurgic spikes.

OK, I wasn't sure on that part, but by piercing the skin they would still gain the soul interference of a spike, and that would make them harder to effect and detect allomantically 

11 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

They didn't have metal lines, so they had to be heavily invested. Otherwise people would have noticed them under his suit. 

I don't think they were hidden at all - several times in TFE it's commented on that TLR openly wears metal jewelry and the nobles copy this for status reasons, despite it making them more vulnerable to Allomancy.

"Indeed," Sazed said. "However, it has long been imperial fashion to accent one's wardrobe with metal. It began, I suspect, with the Lord Ruler's desire to deny the Terrismen the right to touch metal. He himself began wearing metal rings and bracelets, and the nobility always follows him in fashion. Nowadays, the most wealthy often wear metal as a symbol of power and pride."

"Sounds foolish", Vin said.

"Fashion often is, Mistress," Sazed said. "Regardless, the ploy failed - many of the nobility only wear wood painted to look like metal, and the Terris managed to weather the Lord Ruler's discontent in this area."

- TFE Ch. 22

"The Lord Ruler wears metal rings - and so, therefore, does the nobility. Some philosophers think that's all part of His plan. The Lord Ruler wears metal because he knows that the nobility will mimic him, and therefore give his Inquisitors power over them,

"Do you agree?" Vin asked, taking his arm again as they walked. "With the philosophers, I mean?"

Elend shook his head. "No," he said in a quieter voice. "The Lord Ruler... he's just arrogant.

- TFE Ch. 28

• Chaos locked this topic