Words of Wisdom

ryshadium90

I don't know if there is anywhere else, but I thought it would interesting to have a place where others can share tidbits of wisdom that they've heard from someone or somewhere or read. The next Uncle Iroh is out there and I love hearing advice like that. It also will help with story ideas too. (At least for me.)

One of my club administrators told us that her life motto was to be the person she needed when she was younger which is rusting awesome, because you're always thinking in the present of someone you need, so be that kind of person.

So this is my favorite Aesops Fable. That I always use to construct my life:

A Man and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: “You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?”

So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: “See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides.”

So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn’t gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: “Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along.”

Well, the Man didn’t know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said: “Aren’t you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey of yours and your hulking son?”

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey’s feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

“That will teach you,” said an old man who had followed them:

"Please all, and you will please none.”

Edited by Ammanas

(hi...first time posting!)

There's a Shel Silverstein poem that has always stuck with me:

She had blue skin, and so did he.

He kept it hid, and so did she.

They searched for blue

Their whole life through.

Then passed right by--

And never knew.

It's a reminder that you just gotta be you. Everyone is weird, and if you want to find people who are your kind of weird, you have to be open about who you are.

Edited by Fey

As me Da' always used to say, "Finish your food son. There are people starving in the world. And if they eat you one day, the more of you there is to eat, the less of your friends they'll need to eat."

No, my favorite is:

Call a Jack a Jack. Call a Spade a Spade. But always call a whore a Lady. They have a hard life and it doesn't hurt to be polite.

Edited by Extesian

Possibly one of my favourite quotes:

“Good. Now...if you trust in yourself...”
“Yes?”
“...and believe in your dreams...”
“Yes?”
“...and follow your star...” Miss Tick went on.
“Yes?”
“...you’ll still be beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy. Goodbye.”

6 minutes ago, Jonathon said:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak out and remove all doubt"

So we can all thank good ole Abe Lincoln for why my post count is not in the thousands...

"there's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people." 

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

"there's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people." 

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish"

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

"Stupidity is the same as evil if you judge by the results"

More seriously. 

Pain is relative. Never look at someone and judge because you've had it harder than them. The hardest things they've ever had to experience may seem like a cakewalk to you, but it's still the hardest thing they've ever experienced. 

Paraphrased and no, I don't know the source. 

"Superman’s not brave. You can’t be brave if you’re indestructible. It’s every day people, like you and me, that are brave, knowing we could easily be defeated, but still continue forward." 

The grandfather in the crappy 90's teen movie, Angus. 

1 hour ago, Extesian said:

As me Da' always used to say, "Finish your food son. There are people starving in the world. And if they eat you one day, the more of you there is to eat, the less of your friends they'll need to eat."

No, my favorite is:

Call a Jack a Jack. Call a Spade a Spade. But always call a whore a Lady. They have a hard life and it doesn't hurt to be polite.

That's easily one of the best Kingkiller quotes. That or the one about what the wise man fears. "The sea in a storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a peaceful man."  Or something to that effect. 

Edited by AngelEy3

Here are a few that my parents always liked to say:

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them."

"If you don't ask, the answer is always no."

"It's not what you know, it's who you know."

"Never underestimate how stupid people can be."

"Money doesn't buy happiness, it buys opportunity."

Edited by The Sovereign
added a couple more.

12 hours ago, Calderis said:

The only way to never fail is to never try. 

Of course, that advice can be taken in one of two ways...as anyone who's completed the Reckoners should be aware.

9 hours ago, A Budgie said:

Possibly one of my favourite quotes:

“Good. Now...if you trust in yourself...”
“Yes?”
“...and believe in your dreams...”
“Yes?”
“...and follow your star...” Miss Tick went on.
“Yes?”
“...you’ll still be beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy. Goodbye.”

No reason you can't do all those things and not be lazy.

"The best paths in life are rarely the easiest"

"Don't take things personally, what people say about you is their reality, not yours"

"Don't let someone dim your light simply because it is shining in their eyes"

"Respect people that find time for you in their busy schedule, but love people who never look at their schedule when you need them"

"If you don't want anyone to find outt, don't do it"

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on"

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore"

"Forget what hurt you in the past, but never forget what it taught you"

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen"

"You can close your eyes to what you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to what you do not want to feel"

And lastly, "you were born to be real, not perfect"

"um, never run with scissors?" :P

Alternatively: "Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something."