3 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am a new poster, so I hope I am not breaking any rules, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to break down editing for a dyslexic writer. I am dyslexic, and though I am much better than I used to be, I still have issues. But I am trying to do the best I can, as I really would love to get to be a published author one day. However, whenever I get to the point of my editing I get overwhelmed because of how many different things I'm supposed to look for and look at with my writing. And as works get longer I get more and more overwhelmed. If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful for them, though the option of getting a professional editor is out of the question as I have no money and though I have tried to use friends and family, I usually give up asking after months of constant reminder to get nothing out of them.

I believe there is a portion of these forums dedicated to aspiring writers; perhaps they have a copy-edit section where you can post chapters and people will catch things? Kind of like how in each forum for Brandon's books there is a typo's post.

Another big help for a lot of proto-authors is joining a writing group of some kind. Feedback is essential to crafting a professional story. I would guess that writing groups help each other with edits as well?

And, in my opinion (which is worth nothing in this scenario), I think it is more important to focus on improving your writing skills (character development, plot, pacing, world building, etc.) than it is to worry about editing. If you go the traditional route of submitting your work to an editor then they will be used to unpolished works I think.

You can also try to find a (relatively) low-cost editor that will help you once you are ready to get a book "publish" ready. You'd have to start saving for it but my friend was able to get a good deal from an editor who was between books and I think it was $800 or so for his ~200 page fantasy novel. 

Anywho, just some "off the top of my head" ideas. Good luck!

On 15/07/2017 at 0:10 AM, CaptainRyan said:

I believe there is a portion of these forums dedicated to aspiring writers; perhaps they have a copy-edit section where you can post chapters and people will catch things? Kind of like how in each forum for Brandon's books there is a typo's post.

Hey guys - this kind of puzzles me, because the writing group that you're talking about is RIGHT NEXT DOOR!!!! :D 

We are Reading Excuses and we sit right beside this WE forum, and yet there seems to be very little crossover between people who post on here and people who join in and participate (I know, redundancy) in the writing group next door.

Anyway, @101mystic, why not pop next door to Reading Excuses and consider joining in? We are a friendly, positive-minded and encouraging writing group with all abilities taking part. There are 5 slots available each week to writers to post up to 5,000 words each week for friendly critiquing and comment. Specifying what level of input you are looking for is welcomed. Also, there is an Alphareaders thread if you want to put up a complete work and swap alpha-reads with other members.

:)