Similarities between Vin/Zane and Shiki Ryougi/Lio Shirazumi

Horizontolvolute

The reference in the subject will be obscure to most people I think, but Im just wondering if anyone else noticed how similar these characters were in relation to each other. When I was reading the books I found them so similar that I was wondering if Sanderson had ever watched the Garden of Sinners anime. Note, this is not a criticism at all, if it turns out one influenced the other I would think it was really cool. Curious if anyone else noticed this. 

Brandon published Mistborn: The FInal Empire in 2006 and drew heavily from at least four previously written but unpublished or unfinished works of his. Kara no Kyoukai's animated adaptation didn't come out until 2007 and English releases later still. Any similarity would have to be a coincidence.

That said, while I know the name I've never actually watched it (or read the novels the animated adaptations were based on) but now I think I'm going to have to add it to my 'to do' list.

• 1 month later...

The animation and music are very high-quality, the plot likes to be philosophical, and the overall universe is nice enough to have many fans.

Personally, I find "Leo" Lio Shirazumi's plot problem to be very impressive and touching, though fantastical. He's similar to Miles Dagouter, actually, in this regard - he was not born in the right place and time, and he suffers for it.

• Chaos locked this topic