Hi guys.

I have some really deep mistborn questions and im sure you guys do to si i decided to make a dep mistborn Q&A thread.

Feel free to ask questions and answer questions but please only deep good quality questions.

Edited by XxsanderfanxX

To start this of,

1)Theoretically, if someone ate a whole book without munching it up and got stabbed with a copper spike which went straight through the book, would the hemalurgic spike be able to steal/copy the book plotline/ideas?

2)If lift ate a piece of atium what would happen?

3)somehow combining hemalurgy and feruchemy(maybe allomancy) to create human feruchemy (e.g one person slow while the other fast or one person breathing twice as fast and one completely holding their breath)?

1 hour ago, XxsanderfanxX said:

To start this of,

1)Theoretically, if someone ate a whole book without munching it up and got stabbed with a copper spike which went straight through the book, would the hemalurgic spike be able to steal/copy the book plotline/ideas?

3)somehow combining hemalurgy and feruchemy(maybe allomancy) to create human feruchemy (e.g one person slow while the other fast or one person breathing twice as fast and one completely holding their breath)?

lets see ...
1) no

2) nothing 

3) that is basicaly kolos 

also welcome to the shard :D

4 hours ago, XxsanderfanxX said:

Lift metabolizes food into Stormlight. Metal - no matter how magical - is not food. So nothing would happen.

No Hemalurgy needed. You can share unkeyed metalminds so that one person stores and another taps.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

You sure about this. We dont really know exactly how Lift works. Isnt there a possibility for her to turn the Atium into Stormlight?

Lifts body has to break the food down for digestion to convert it. 

The human body can't break down metal well, so other than trace amounts, I'm (apparently not alone in) thinking it would just pass through her system. 

Edited by Calderis

6 hours ago, XxsanderfanxX said:

Welcome to the Shard! First of all, you might be better off looking in the Mistborn, Cosmere Theories, or Cosmere Q&A Boards; this board is (ostensibly) for non-spoiler discussions, and these sorts of questions get into some deeper stuff (especially when you're looking at crossovers).

To address some of your specific questions:

• Lift has the ability to convert food into Investiture, to power her Surgebinding. Atium is not food, so she wouldn't be able to convert it. Atium, as Ruin's physical body, is already Investiture, but it's not useable by anyone. Normal Scadrians cannot use atium, they cannot access its Investiture, so Lift wouldn't be able to either because she isn't a Mistborn or atium Misting.
  • This was actually discussed on the forums when Bands of Mourning was released, due to a line from Wax's uncle near the end of the book. Not sure how far you've read, so I won't go into too much detail, but some people thought that exact thing was happening, that they had combined Hemalurgy and Feruchemy to literally steal these Feruchemical attributes from someone else's body on an ongoing basis. (You're always storing gold at 50%, I'm always tapping that gold.) I disagree with the idea; I believe it is referring to another phenomenon that is already accomplished through the use of aluminum Feruchemy. (Again, not sure if I should be going into detail. Let me know if you'd like any more elaboration on my end.)

On 7/14/2017 at 9:24 PM, XxsanderfanxX said:

To start this of,

thx for the ideas.

I'm kinda really disappointed about the answers i got though i did phrase them not that well sooooo TAKE 2

1) what would be the closest scenario possible so that a hemalurgic spike can steal/copy the book plotline or something similar?

2)If the food was infused with a breath what would happen when lift ate it?.

3)each person has a separate metalmind and the two are somehow linked.

thanks for the ideas:D

1) what would be the closest scenario possible so that a hemalurgic spike can steal/copy the book plotline or something similar?

The person having read the book, and it being stolen from their mind. 

2)If the food was infused with a breath what would happen when lift ate it?.

We have no idea. 

5 hours ago, XxsanderfanxX said:

3)each person has a separate metalmind and the two are somehow linked.

We don't know if this is possible. There's been some speculation about it, but it's been just that. 

Later eras might allow you to wirelessly transmit feruchemical charge. That sounds pretty awesome.

But they might not. We have no idea, and I don't think there's anything so far that would indicate that this is possible.

The only other way you could do the shared feruchemy trick is to actually physically connect two people with a wire, and then use the wire as an unkeyed metalmind. They could then theoretically share an attribute as much as they wanted, but obviously the wire in between them is inconvenient.

So we know that in world, Lift's ability is known to convert food into stormlight. But do we have a WoB that she can only change food into stormlight. Because couldn't she be capable of converting other materials to stormlight and we just don't know yet because she just hasn't consumed things other than food before?

7 hours ago, Rhi Bran said:

So we know that in world, Lift's ability is known to convert food into stormlight. But do we have a WoB that she can only change food into stormlight. Because couldn't she be capable of converting other materials to stormlight and we just don't know yet because she just hasn't consumed things other than food before?

I think it's limited to food only. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1181#7

TED HERMAN

Can Lift convert cremling shells to investiture?

BRANDON SANDERSON

She can only convert what she is able to metabolize for nutrients to investiture.

That said, we can pull nutrients from a lot of things that we wouldn't normally eat. 

8 hours ago, Rhi Bran said:

I love this WoB and it's an excuse to post it :)

INTERVIEW: Feb 20th, 2015

Chicago

ARGENT

Does Lift turn food into investiture directly or is it similar to the metals on--

BRANDON SANDERSON

Similar to the metals.

ARGENT

So like a gate?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

ARGENT

Okay, that’s good to know.

BRANDON SANDERSON

She can metabolize-- She can draw-- It’s not actually the food, it’s-- It’s not like the metals, not exactly. It’s not-- What she can do is she can metabolize into investiture instead of sugar. Does that make sense?

ARGENT

Yeah.

BRANDON SANDERSON

We metabolize food into sugar. She can metabolize it into investiture. Does that make sense?

ARGENT

That makes a lot of sense. So if she eats--

BRANDON SANDERSON

She’s got to have a blood sugar spike.

ARGENT

So if she eats like a cake it will give her more investiture--

BRANDON SANDERSON

Faster. It will give her faster.

ARGENT

Whereas if she eats a vegetable...

BRANDON SANDERSON

Vegetable... More calories is going to equal more. But the better comparison would be a sausage and bread. Because bread is a fast blood sugar spike and the sausage is not. And that’s how I’m working in my head. It’s kind of a magical version of a blood sugar spike and I have it happen to her faster than it could happen. Like normally you eat a piece of bread and your blood sugar spikes in a half hour, it’s going to go faster for Lift.

ARGENT

Her’s is like five minutes.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Her’s is like five minutes, but a sausage would be slower.

Source

Actually, this is making me think that if she were to become a Misting, she might be able to turn metal into investiture (at least, the metal she can burn). It would depend on what actually happens when a misting burns a metal. Does the misting metabolize the metal, or does it simply disappear? If the first, then I could see Lift swallowing handful after handful of tin and getting some serious investiture.

• Chaos locked this topic