Top 10 theories going into Oathbringer

bdoble97

21 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Yeah, that's why I said it's the only instance of the letters, but didn't say it's a reference. 

There's obviously something we don't understand when it comes to Chana, and I agree it's intentional. 

We hunt like crazy for something we can't recognize without information we can't understand until it's later revealed. 

It not a lie that there's a reference in the book, even if it's a reference we literally don't have the means to recognize. 

I'm just waiting for the day when we DO have enough information to find her and we all face palm because she was probably right under our noses. On a side note, wasn't there a WOB about how there's something weird going on with dustbringers? 

Just now, Jonathon said:

I'm just waiting for the day when we DO have enough information to find her and we all face palm because she was probably right under our noses. On a side note, wasn't there a WOB about how there's something weird going on with dustbringers? 

You're about to open a can of worms, I hope you realize. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

You're about to open a can of worms, I hope you realize. 

Thats what makes this place so much fun ;) 

But seriously though, If Brandon has said there's something weird with the dustbringers than I would imagine that's why nobody has found Chana. Wasn't it also mentioned that dustbringers have been confused with voidbringers due to the similar name? Perhaps this "weird thing" going on had something to do with that

For some reason I can't find the WoB at the moment but if I remember correctly it went along these lines. 

Have we seen a member of every order? 

Hmmm, do you consider Heralds to be members of their orders? 

No. 

Oh, OK. Well I do. 

And the conversation continued and when the Dustbringers were brought up he mentioned the weirdness and said he'd need to RAFO for now because of it. 

I'm fairly certain that the content of that WoB, and the content of the conversation is the basis for the "Ashley will be a Dustbringer" theory. As she's the Herald of a different order, who we know will be a main character, and her original order we already have filled by Shallan, whereas we still have no confirmed Dustbringer. 

4 minutes ago, Calderis said:

For some reason I can't find the WoB at the moment

Odds are it's because it's in Events and Signings. That or you forgot it's Maxal's post(my shortcut to find it, as usual)

Questioner: Have we--  I think you mentioned in a previous signing that we’d already met one member of every Order of the Knights Radiant.

Brandon: Yes, I think you have.

Questioner: My question is, have we met two Edgedancers?  And is one of the Dustbringers a viewpoint character?

Brandon: One of the Dustbringers is eventually a point-of-view character.

Questioner: Haven’t been yet?

Brandon: Nnnnoooo, not yet, I don’t think.  But it depends if you count the Heralds as members of their order.

Questioner: I don’t.

Brandon: Oh, see I would, because they’re kind of heads of their Order.  If you don’t count them you have not met some from every Order.

Questioner: [Have we met someone from the Dustbringers?]

Brandon: Well… Dustbringers are really complicated.  /Really/ complicated.  So that’s the weird one.  Okay?  So let’s shelve that one.  You’ll see why it’s really weird later on.

So we haven't met someone who isn't a Herald for all of the orders and one Dustbringer will eventually become a viewpoint character but currently isn't. The phrasing makes it obvious: no Dustbringer has had a POV yet. So the Adolin will become a Dustbringer theory can finally rest in peace  -_-

Does someone have a recapitulation of all the Heralds we have met? 

@Jonathon The exact reasons are unknown, but we know that they wanted to be called the Releasers. The name didn't catch on.

8 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Odds are it's because it's in Events and Signings. That or you forgot it's Maxal's post(my shortcut to find it, as usual)

@Jonathon The exact reasons are unknown, but we know that they wanted to be called the Releasers. The name didn't catch on.

Thanks. I haven't ever actually looked for this one, so didn't know any of that. 

8 hours ago, Calderis said:

I'm fairly certain that the content of that WoB, and the content of the conversation is the basis for the "Ashley will be a Dustbringer" theory. As she's the Herald of a different order, who we know will be a main character, and her original order we already have filled by Shallan, whereas we still have no confirmed Dustbringer. 

I can comment on this. The "Shalash will become a Dustbringer" theory comes more from the book structure than this specific WoB. In fact, it started before we got the WoB. At the time, it was common to think each book would represent a given order. By representing a given order, most readers figured it meant the main protagonist of this book would be a member of this order and since, up until further notice, the main protagonist of each book happens to be the flashback character, we all started place-holding known flashback characters into orders.

If place-holding Kaladin (Windrunners), Shallan (Lightweavers), Dalinar (Bondsmith), Renarin (Truthwatcher), Jasnah (Elsecaller), Lift (Edgedancer), Taln (Stonewards) was straight-forward, if figuring out Eshonai (Willshaper) and Szeth (Skybreaker) was relatively easy, even if currently non-confirmed, finding out whom would be our major Dustbringer has left most of us puzzled. 

For over a year after the release of WoR, we did not know who was the 10th flashback character and coincidentally, it was the one linked to the Dustbringer's order. Most of us thought/wished it would be Adolin and, at the time, the leading theory was he would become a Dustbringer (at the time we also thought his Blade probably was a Dustbringer's Blade or I thought perhaps it was). 

When we found out the 10th flashback character was not Adolin, but Shalash, well, it sort of destroyed those theories. Yet, despite having a WoB which states not all books would follow book 1 and 2's format, we have, since then, learned book 3 will follow the same pattern and it is within Brandon's intentions to have book 4 and 5 to do the same. It seems incredibly likely Eshonai will indeed become a Willshaper and Szeth, even if he does not become one, will be involved with the Skybreakers.

So why wouldn't we get a Dustbringer within the flashback characters? Why are we getting a second Lightweaver within the flashback characters? After all, aren't we getting a lot of exposure to this order already with Shallan being one of the most major protagonists?

Thus, theories started to sprout Shalash would become a Dustbringer. Knowing they are "different" and should not be talked about until further notice does seem to give credence to this theory. It wasn't so much about the WoB, but about the book structure. The WoB just gives it more strength.

35 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

@maxal who are the 10 flashback characters so for ee have had Kaladin, Shallan and now Dalinar next book is suposed to be Eshonia right. 

The remaining flashback characters for the first five are Eshonai and Szeth.

The flashback characters for book 6-10 are Renarin, Lift, Taln, Shalash and Jasnah.

28 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

The remaining flashback characters for the first five are Eshonai and Szeth.

The flashback characters for book 6-10 are Renarin, Lift, Taln, Shalash and Jasnah.

Hmmmm with Renarin as a flashback character in the later 5 I wonder if his flashback scenes would be prior to the original five books or between the two sets of 5. It also gets me worried that the last set of five going to have all basically brand-new characters I know we've met some of them in the previous five books but I love these characters and don't want them all to die and have new characters in the second half of the series

10 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Hmmmm with Renarin as a flashback character in the later 5 I wonder if his flashback scenes would be prior to the original five books or between the two sets of 5. It also gets me worried that the last set of five going to have all basically brand-new characters I know we've met some of them in the previous five books but I love these characters and don't want them all to die and have new characters in the second half of the series

They are two separate story arcs. 

I will surprised if all of the first five die, but even more surprised if they all live. 

The ones who do live will still be involved, they just won't be the focus. 

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

They are two separate story arcs. 

I will surprised if all of the first five die, but even more surprised if they all live. 

The ones who do live will still be involved, they just won't be the focus. 

Is it going to be two separate desolatiod.   It's a 15-year gap between the two books correct I can't see it being two separate desolations I have never been mad when a character dies in a book but I think I'll be pissed if Dalinar dies . 

4 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Is it going to be two separate desolatiod.   It's a 15-year gap between the two books correct I can't see it being two separate desolations I have never been mad when a character dies in a book but I think I'll be pissed if Dalinar dies . 

We don't know anything beyond there is a 15 year gap, and there is an overarching storyline between both story arcs. 

As for Dalinar, considering his age, it's possible he may have passed by the start of the second arc even if he survives the entire first arc. 

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

As for Dalinar, considering his age, it's possible he may have passed by the start of the second arc even if he survives the entire first arc. 

Having Dalinar die between books would be extremely unsatisfying. I doubt he will die of age.

Btw, do we know if KR age like normal people do.

3 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Having Dalinar die between books would be extremely unsatisfying. I doubt he will die of age.

Very good point.

So we know stormlight aligns your spirit with your mind, where it will heal you to the extent you see yourself as (or something like that) which is why Kaladins scars don't heal, because he see's himself as that man (I think). 

Perhaps that's how it is with aging, it depends on how you view yourself - as old and you will age, as young and you will remain young. 

Or it could be something like breath, as we know they are all investiture so share fundamentals. Perhaps the more stormlight you can use (through being further through the bonding process) is similar to gaining heightening and you eventually stop aging.

5 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I agree completely, I just meant it's possible. It's also one of the reasons I feel that Dalinar is the most likely to die in the first half. 

They have access to a healing mechanic similar to F-gold, which we know doesn't actually extend age, so I imagine that they are more likely to reach their maximum potential age, but aren't going to live ridiculously long. 

8 minutes ago, Calderis said:

They have access to a healing mechanic similar to F-gold, which we know doesn't actually extend age, so I imagine that they are more likely to reach their maximum potential age, but aren't going to live ridiculously long. 

That would be another point against Dalinar dying of old age then. He is in his fifties, healthy, and with Stormlight. He can easily live fifteen more years.

2 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

That would be another point against Dalinar dying of old age then. He is in his fifties, healthy, and with Stormlight. He can easily live fifteen more years.

True. I don't know why, I just feel like Dalinar won't make it. He's one of my favorite characters, and I'll be sad to see him go, but I feel like he's going to die. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

True. I don't know why, I just feel like Dalinar won't make it. He's one of my favorite characters, and I'll be sad to see him go, but I feel like he's going to die. 

I feel the same way. I think's it's because if he were to die it would effect the most storylines in the series. It would also turn a lot of things on there head. Great for storytelling. Bad for my emotions. 

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I have the same feeling (although he isn't really one of my favorites). He just feels like a character who dies. There is a bit of the "mentor aura" around him I guess, and those kinds of characters always die. He also have some kind of redemption arc, and redemption characters tend to die as well. 

22 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

My thoughts exactly  I cant see Dalinar dieing between book thats such a crap way for my favorite charter to go out. If he die it will probly be in the climaxes od book 5 and I hope it fing glories epic death. Dalinar has bevome my favorite charter in all fantasy I just love the dude.

Edited by bdoble97

For completeness:

Depends on which definition of immortal you mean.

Doesn't age, but can be killed by conventional means. (You've seen some of these in the cosmere, but I'll leave you to discuss who.)

Heals from wounds, but still ages. (Knights Radiant with Stormlight are like this.)

Reborn when killed. (The Heralds.) 

Doesn't age and can heal, but dependent upon magic to stay this way, and so have distinct weakness to be exploited. (The Lord Ruler, among others.)

Hive beings who are constantly losing individual members, but maintaining a persistent personality spread across all of them, immortal in that as long as too much of the hive isn't wiped out, the personality can persist. (The sleepless.)

Bits of sapient magic, eternal and endless, though the personality can be "destroyed" in specific ways. (Seons. Spren. Nightblood. Cognitive Shadows, like a certain character from Scadrial.) 

Shards (Really just a supercharged version of the previous category.)

And then, of course, there's Hoid. I'm not going to say which category, if any, he's in.

Some of these blend together--the Heralds, for example, are technically a variety of cognitive shadow. I'm not saying each of these categories above are distinct, intended to be the end-all definitions. They're off the cuff groupings I made to explain a point: immortality is a theme of the cosmere works--which, at their core, are experiments on what happens when men are given the power of deity.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/5dpic4/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_5/dak70et/?context=3

So radiants will probably remain quite healthy throughout their lifespan, but they are not ageless. 

Trying to picture what the last five books will be like is always weird for me since the characters will be so unusually old for protagonists. Depending on exactly how long the gap is, both Renarian and Lift could be in their thirties, Jasnah her fifties, with Taln and Shallash being time-abysses in any case. 

Edited by Scriptorian

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, Khyrindor said:

1. Dalinar is the prime suspect for the murder of Sadeas, and Adolin struggles with his guilt and his protectiveness of his family, finally admitting his crimes and accepting the punishment in order to spare Dalinar. Adolin sees the shame in his father's eyes as he's led out of Urithiru to be exiled. In his absence, Dalinar comes to grips with it, and forgives Adolin, prodigal son style.

2. WoB says Kaladin's parents are alive, but may be in a less-than-optimal state. Kaladin arrives at Hearthstone too late to save the majority, only to find his father holed up with the rest of the refugees who finally (conveniently) got over their fears of medicinal practice. His mother may be unconscious. Roshone is dead, leaving a broken Laral in charge, who remembered Kaladin's father just in time to save most of the town. Kaladin's father can't speak to him after he find's out about Tien's death, leading to Kaladin not revealing his "status change" until absolutely necessary.

3. Kaladin takes the refugees with him to Kholinar, trying to figure out how to use the authority Dalinar gave him without his father finding out. Mom finally wakes up and catches Kaladin talking to Syl (who chose to show herself to her, because she know's what's good for Kaladin). This leads to complications, but his mother takes everything a lot better than his father.

4. Dalinar is mortally wounded, then healed by Renarin.

5. The Stormfather will finally be summoned as the biggest, most epic Shardblade, saving the day.

6. Hoid "educates" Jasnah.

7. Nale's change of heart leads him to confront Ishar, and many of the proto-Skybreakers side with Ishar instead, except Szeth.

8. Oathbringer (the sword) gains a new bearer.

9. Navani finds some new toys in Urithiru, leading to fantastic breakthroughs in fabrial technology. 

10. The Ghostbloods are actually not as bad as we've been lead to believe, and Shallan is forced to choose between Jasnah and her new family.

Some of those were random thoughts and some have been stewing in my head for a very long time. I'm probably wrong about them all, but I've put them down anyway to see if I'm right later.

I dont agree with 5 or 6, but I love the rest of them!