Top 10 theories going into Oathbringer

bdoble97

8 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

4. Dalinar is mortally wounded, then healed by Renarin.

I would replace Dalinar by Adolin as Dalinar cannot actually be mortally wounded. He can heal himself with stormlight and if Renarin is near and has stormlight to heal his father, the he needs not to perform Regrowth, he can just give the spheres to his father. He is advanced enough he would heal on his own, not like the Stump. I always thought it would be Adolin who'd get mortally wounded because it would force Renarin to use his powers and it would force Dalinar to face his feelings for his eldest.

32 minutes ago, maxal said:

I would replace Dalinar by Adolin as Dalinar cannot actually be mortally wounded. He can heal himself with stormlight and if Renarin is near and has stormlight to heal his father, the he needs not to perform Regrowth, he can just give the spheres to his father. He is advanced enough he would heal on his own, not like the Stump. I always thought it would be Adolin who'd get mortally wounded because it would force Renarin to use his powers and it would force Dalinar to face his feelings for his eldest.

Always coming up with excellent points this would be such a pivotal plot point for the three of them. Dalinar realizing how much she loves his sons. Renarin seeing that he isn't worthless and truly can help the cause. And Adalin seeing that his younger brother may be more important than him

3 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

And Adalin seeing that his younger brother may be more important than him

I don't think important is the right word. 

Adolin is better than pretty much everyone when it comes to how he treats Renarin, but even he could use seeing that Renarin is useful beyond boosting his morale. 

I also think it is arguably more important to get those without powers engaged and involved than it is to focus solely on the Radiants. 

16 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Always coming up with excellent points this would be such a pivotal plot point for the three of them. Dalinar realizing how much she loves his sons. Renarin seeing that he isn't worthless and truly can help the cause. And Adalin seeing that his younger brother may be more important than him

I has always been one of my favorite story arcs, but it isn't one I often mention because many might thing I am overdoing it. Renarin figuring out how to heal (and thus being useful) would be a amazing story arc for him. He is so reluctant to use his powers I figured he would need a strong incentive to actually do it: seeing his brother mortally injured and bleeding out might be it. Also, Dalinar once stated, I think it was in WoK, how he has always needed strong examples to learn lessons (such as Gavilar dying in order to change his ways) and he hoped Adolin would learn without those. When he said it, I thought to myself, "Dalinar will need another strong example to forgive Adolin, his relationship with his son won't fix itself easily, something will happen to make him change it". Adolin near dying would definitely be it: if Dalinar is made to hold on his dying son, probably excusing himself for having failed at being the son Dalinar wanted (when Adolin is about to be killed by Szeth, this is exactly what he says, father I am sorry, so upon dying his last thoughts went to his father and to how he is falling, so shall he get really injured, I would think he would say something similar), I certainly feel it would trigger gigantic emotions into Dalinar, feelings he did not even knew he had.

Once Renarin heals Adolin and he appears out of danger, Dalinar just goes into badass mode and literally slaughter those who injured his son with a massive roar :ph34r: because I think they would make a nice scene :ph34r:

And then I could finally stop saying Dalinar does not love Adolin. 

7 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I don't think important is the right word. 

Adolin is better than pretty much everyone when it comes to how he treats Renarin, but even he could use seeing that Renarin is useful beyond boosting his morale. 

I also think it is arguably more important to get those without powers engaged and involved than it is to focus solely on the Radiants. 

Adolin loves his brother, but he grew up jealous of him because he got all of the parental attention. If Renarin becoming a Radiant implies him becoming even closer to their father, in a close knitted circle where Adolin is excluded from, then I could see him having those negative feelings once again. They won't directed towards Renarin, but towards himself for not being good enough to be loved by his parents.

Edited by maxal

21 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:
9. I'll plug my Lanceryn theory again, which would make Rysn another character who doesn't need to be a KR. I won't say that she won't become one, and Willshaper is a good pick, but I've gotten a bit jaded towards the "everybody and their mother becomes a KR" craze recently.

I get your point and, more or less, I agree with you: I wouldn't be excited if everyone turn out to be a KR.

On the other end, I understand the flourish of such theories (which I myself contributed): KR are gonna be an army. There will be hundreds, if not thousands, of them, so make sense thinking that Sanderson showed us other Proto-Radiants besides the main characters. Of course not everyone of them will turn in a KR but every reader has a favorite side character (mine being Rysn) that gets pushed in this kind of theory XD

Anyway, I didn't know of the deep connection between Larkin and Lanceryn: that's a very interesting news! And I agree with you, seeing her riding a Lanceryn in the back half books would be glorious!

Either way, so long as I get one Rysn Interlude for book (being her a KR, a Lanceryn rider or being carriend around by Vstim on his back) I will be happy XD

2 hours ago, maxal said:

There's even a Death Rattle that could refer to this situation:

"I'm standing over the body of a brother. I'm weeping. Is that his blood or mine? What have we done?"

I know most readers think this refers to Tien's death but seeing how much Death Rattles are about Kaladin, I would like better if this one was instead about Renarin.

Edited by Rhaegar'Elin

1 minute ago, Rhaegar'Elin said:

Either way, so long as I get one Rysn Interlude for book (being her a KR, a Lanceryn rider or being carried around by Vstim on his back) I will be happy XD

Well, she gets an interlude during Oathbringer, so we'll both be happy until the next book. Now that you mention it though, I'm genuinely curious about what her Interlude will be about(and when).

• Her legs were shattered, so I don't expect her to have left the Reshi Isles unless it's been a while and she can walk/lean on somebody to walk again.
  • I doubt her Larkin will go into a chrysalis until much later because natural life cycles, regardless of if my theory is right.
  • I feel like this is still too early, but maybe Larkin to Lanceryn is a multi-stage process, so we witness an early-stage transformation during a Highstorm. It'd give us the new perspective of what Highstorms are like in the Reshi Isles, and perhaps set Rysn off on the path to discovering the Larkin/Lanceryn connection.
  • Lanceryns are native to Aimia, so I don't expect we'll learn too much about them while in Reshi.
  • The Lanceryn is thought to be extinct(after the Scouring of Aimia), few people would know about the Larkin/Lanceryn connection, so maybe we'll learn about Larkins themselves, separate from the Lanceryn aspect.
  • We could learn more about Reshi culture and how Rysn is adapting to it, which could be interesting.
  • We could have a little joke segment of her watering her grass and having her Larkin on her shoulder like a pirate's parrot :P

Now that's an interesting(and wonderful) mental image.. Rysn, clad in Reshi garb, pot of grass in on hand, Larkin on her shoulder, gazing out at the horizon.

2 hours ago, Rhaegar'Elin said:

There's even a Death Rattle that could refer to this situation:

I know most readers think this refers to Tien's death but seeing how much Death Rattles are about Kaladin, I would like better if this one was instead about Renarin.

I always thought this Death Rattle was referring to Renarin standing over Adolin's injured body. Kaladin wasn't injured nor responsible for Tien's death, the part where he wonders if the blood is his or his brother combined with the part where he wonders what he has done has always made me think it wasn't Kaladin and Tien. It just does not fit this scene, but it would fit a future scene where Renarin/Dalinar are somewhat responsible for harm coming towards Adolin resulting in him getting gravely injured.

Most readers however disagree with me. I too feel too many death rattles are about Kaladin: not everything ought to be about Kaladin.

To my knowledge nobody has mentioned Dawnshards as a theory. I would like to add that we will be finding out more about them and how it binds a voidbringer.

If anyone is unfamiliar with the term dawnshard I will include a quote which holds basically all the information we know about them thus far:

Taking the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal, he crawled up the steps crafted forHeralds, ten strides tall apiece, toward the grand temple above.”

—From the Poem of Ista. I have found no modern explanation of what these "Dawnshards" are. They seem ignored by scholars, though talk of them was obviously prevalent among those recording the early mythologies

@Calderis Good catch! I love a good story about mythological weapons that are used to to overthrow the opposing force (if its done right). My favorites are The swordbearer by glen cook (a book that I have enjoyed and reread probably more that I should have) and The Forgetting Moon by Durfee. Very excited to see where that storyline goes. 

Just now, Calderis said:

"But without the Dawnshards... "

Implying that they were on for vital importance in past Desolations. 

Is it just me that kinda wants them to not be important this time around? I don't mean the "make do without them" type, I mean "actually aren't useful this time around."

Despite the number of "artifact of great power" stories in his works, he's done pretty well at subverting the tropes/our expectations, so we'll see

3 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Is it just me that kinda wants them to not be important this time around? I don't mean the "make do without them" type, I mean "actually aren't useful this time around."

Despite the number of "artifact of great power" stories in his works, he's done pretty well at subverting the tropes/our expectations, so we'll see

It would be cool if the Dawnshards were very important, but forever lost, which means that the characters will have to find ways to do without them (and eventually succeeding).

3 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Well my favorite stories are interesting twists on tropes.. .and I think thats what he will do. In Brandon I trust!

5 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Nah I'm with you. There's already plenty hidden in this story. I'd like it to be more like what @Toaster Retribution just said, one more thing stacked against them when the odds are already bad. 

The hinted at object of power that saves the day in the past is no more and you have to make do. 

First five serious predictions.

1.       We will learn why Dalinar forgot his wife. Likely he asked to forget and it is related to her death.

2.       Kaladin will learn why his name sounds like a lighteyes name. He is named after a lighteyes on his mother’s side. One of his maternal grandparents is a tenth dahn who married a darkeyes of the first nahn.

3.       Shallan will learn something from the Ghostbloods that will alter how she sees Roshar. Likely something about the Cosmere.

4.       Adolin will be broken and begin on the path to becoming a Knights Radient, though he may not hear a spren until the end of Oathbringer or the beginning of Stormlight 4. I don’t think the spren will be his shardblade, but who knows? Well, Brandon does and the Beta readers, but that is beside the point. ;)

5.        Eshonal survived her fall. If Kaladin and Shallan could, why not a voidbringer in full shardplate? She will continue on her path to becoming the Odium’s Champion.

Now five silly predictions.

6.       Lift will make it to Urithru and open a pancake stand with the former Emperor of Emur.

7.       Jasnah and Wit will start a roadshow called “The End of The World Follies,” featuring the Lizard Crab thing.

8.       Stick will start the Religion of Self among the Spren, which denies soul casting. His founding creed, “I AM A Stick.”

9.       Zahel is embarrassed in front of his fellow ardents,  when a woman, with bright red hair, stomps up to him, causes a cloak to come alive and wrap him up. She then yells, “Vashar, how dare you leave me behind and where is nightblood?”  

10.   Taln regains his senses and then smacks the heck out of the Sons of Honor for bringing about what he suffered 4000 years to prevent. Or he hugs each of them for ending his suffering.

7 hours ago, eveorjoy said:

First five serious predictions.

1.       We will learn why Dalinar forgot his wife. Likely he asked to forget and it is related to her death.

2.       Kaladin will learn why his name sounds like a lighteyes name. He is named after a lighteyes on his mother’s side. One of his maternal grandparents is a tenth dahn who married a darkeyes of the first nahn.

3.       Shallan will learn something from the Ghostbloods that will alter how she sees Roshar. Likely something about the Cosmere.

4.       Adolin will be broken and begin on the path to becoming a Knights Radient, though he may not hear a spren until the end of Oathbringer or the beginning of Stormlight 4. I don’t think the spren will be his shardblade, but who knows? Well, Brandon does and the Beta readers, but that is beside the point. ;)

5.        Eshonal survived her fall. If Kaladin and Shallan could, why not a voidbringer in full shardplate? She will continue on her path to becoming the Odium’s Champion.

Now five silly predictions.

6.       Lift will make it to Urithru and open a pancake stand with the former Emperor of Emur.

7.       Jasnah and Wit will start a roadshow called “The End of The World Follies,” featuring the Lizard Crab thing.

8.       Stick will start the Religion of Self among the Spren, which denies soul casting. His founding creed, “I AM A Stick.”

9.       Zahel is embarrassed in front of his fellow ardents,  when a woman, with bright red hair, stomps up to him, causes a cloak to come alive and wrap him up. She then yells, “Vashar, how dare you leave me behind and where is nightblood?”  

10.   Taln regains his senses and then smacks the heck out of the Sons of Honor for bringing about what he suffered 4000 years to prevent. Or he hugs each of them for ending his suffering.

After reading so many about Dalinar possibly being involed with his wifes death I dont want ti fund out anymore

That would be a cool twist if Kaladin has lighteyes blood. I wounder how he would deal with that.

Adolin is going to go through alot of messed up stuff I think. 

I would love Zahel getting yelled at by bright redheaded Vivian. That would be so good.

16 hours ago, Ammanas said:

To my knowledge nobody has mentioned Dawnshards as a theory. I would like to add that we will be finding out more about them and how it binds a voidbringer.

If anyone is unfamiliar with the term dawnshard I will include a quote which holds basically all the information we know about them thus far:

Taking the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal, he crawled up the steps crafted forHeralds, ten strides tall apiece, toward the grand temple above.”

—From the Poem of Ista. I have found no modern explanation of what these "Dawnshards" are. They seem ignored by scholars, though talk of them was obviously prevalent among those recording the early mythologies

Have you read the prelude scene from Oathbringer (it's one of the previews)?

I suspect we saw a Dawnshard there (and if you've read it, you should know what I'm referring to).

Edited by Yitzi2

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:28 PM, Mr_Crow said:

The Everstorm has come, Voidbringers are popping up in just about every worst location you could think of.  What is the worst case scenario from here?

My thoughts:

- I think the high storms are a "helping hand" from the higher powers.  I don't think they can interfere much but the storms provide power to use shards, power for light in the darkness, and use in magic.   It has given humans a good fighting advantage so far in the books.  

Now on the otherhand, I feel the Everstorm will take away that power.

“They take away the light, wherever they lurk. Skin that is burned.”

Even their names "Voidbringers" hints that they will bring darkness of some sort, or you can interpret "Void" as the lack of substance/ Lack of stormlight.   I feel like this would be the next stone that hits.    

Or there is the possibility that the way the shard plates are used right now will stop working, forcing them to be used how they used to (by summoning them on command?  or something of the sort) 

40 minutes ago, Yitzi2 said:

Have you read the prelude scene from Oathbringer (it's one of the previews)?

I suspect we saw a Dawnshard there (and if you've read it, you should know what I'm referring to).

I have not...I am saving it for Nov. 14 to read all at once. Thanks for the heads up though!

2 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Genuine question, prelude or prologue? I don't actually remember a "prelude" being in the released materials, but I haven't looked recently.

Sorry, prologue.  The one that happens that night.