Top 10 theories going into Oathbringer

bdoble97

54 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Shallan gaining the knowledge that Kaladin killed her brother will hopefully end any idea of them getting together. Im a sucker for a good lovr story but do not want Shallan and Kaladin to ever be together. Shallan and Adolin need to be together in my opinion.  I want Shallan to be the only one Adolin tell of what he did at the end of WOR

I really don't mind who shallan ends up with, I think Brandon could make either relationship work. I just want Kaladin to end up with someone, I mean give him a break, he's suffered through enough trauma, don't add heartbreak onto the pile.

It's a little late, but here's my list:

1.  Kaladin returns to Hearthstone, and rescues a bunch of tranformed Parshmen being mistreated.  By following him to safety, the Parshmen become proto-squires who are immune from Odium's influence.

2.  Along the way, Kaladin, Roshone, and the collection of spheres are in the same place at the same time.  Kaladin uses them to replenish his stormlight and impose conveniently righteous retribution on Roshone.

3.  Shallan finds a book in the depths of urithuru called Oathbringer that explains how the Knights Radiant went from surgebinders having Oaths, through Ishar's influence.

4.  Adolin goes back th reclaim his father's blade Oathbringer and finds it missing.  At the same time, he is asked to release the bond to his blade so that he can bond the Honorblade.  After releasing his blade but before finishing the new bond, Renarin reveals that he took Oathbringer, but he has to reveal the crime to Dalinar so that he doesn't break his oaths.

5.  Adolin is teleported back to the Shattered plains by Shallan with nothing but his plate.  He is taken by the non-Stormform Parshendi, and thrown in prison with Eshonai, who has also lost her blade.  Adolin helps her escape, and she is able to avoid the influence of the unmade long enough to change to another form.

6.  Dalinar tries to convince the other nations to find their surgebinders and unlock their Oathgates.  The nations all refuse because they think it is a trick from the blackthorn.  Except that Taravangian allows Vedenar's gate to be opened.  Dalinar trusts Taravangian and allows himself to be maneuvered into putting his forces in danger.

7.   Turns out that Jashnah knew what Taravangian was all along, and returns in time to save Dalinar's armies and Vedenar.

8.  Nale sends Szeth to kill Ishar for betraying the Heralds.

9.  Kaladin meets up with his father and with Amaram in Kholinar.  Amaram is, probably insincerely, apologizing to Lirin.

10.  Dalinar's bond allows the Stormfather to begin to heal from the wounds suffered during the Recreance.  With the Stormfather's blessing, many more spren come to the physical realm to bond humans (and, at the very end of the book, Eshonai, under the watchful gaze of Hoid).  Sharders everywhere squeal in delight at the layered meanings of "Oathbringer."

4 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

What about a Mraize vs Amaram fight? That could be cool, especially since we haven't seen either one fight before.

I give to Mraize hands down. He's a worldhopper who considers himself a predator. 

The only thing Amaram gas ever managed is to ride in "heroically" at the end of battles already won, and have his horse fall on him and break his leg. 

2 hours ago, Grahamfactor said:

5.  Adolin is teleported back to the Shattered plains by Shallan with nothing but his plate.  He is taken by the non-Stormform Parshendi, and thrown in prison with Eshonai, who has also lost her blade.  Adolin helps her escape, and she is able to avoid the influence of the unmade long enough to change to another form.

Great inspired list, I loved reading it. As for this one, I have to admit I did have something similar within my speculative story arcs. I did have Adolin getting entangled with Eshonai and the Parshendis.

In an attempt to regain his father's trust, Adolin goes too far within a battle skirmish meant to clean the Plains from the remaining Voidbringers. Dalinar severely understates the harshness of the battle and Adolin is faced by more than his forces can handle. He is forced to call a retreat, but being Adolin, he remains behind to make sure every single one of his man makes it out of the battlefield. He lingers for too long and he ends up being trapped behind the enemy lines, without any ways to regroup with his army. Then, he is defeated and, being recognized as Dalinar's son, taken prisoner. This works better if it happens after another speculative arc where Adolin is asked to surrender his Shards in payment for murdering Sadeas. Whoever was next in command within Adolin's army is tasked to bring the dire news to Dalinar: the son he has been entangled with over the murder of Highprince Sadeas has gone missing onto the battlefield. Maybe his guards are able to glimpse him being captured, alive, but are forced to flee too.

In the meantime, prisoner Adolin becomes acquainted with Eshonai. I mean, huh, insert whichever plot line you think works well here, but the idea is Eshonai helps him escape. She beats her stormform and realizes if she wants to save her people, she has to make peace with Dalinar Kholin. Since this war started because she spied on a conversation which had her people assassinate Gavilar, she might think saving Adolin might help end up. The two form an uneasy alliance. Adolin proves to be actually better than his peers at figuring out the whole rhythms thing as they deal with something he understands all too well: emotions.

Maybe the Parshendis try to ransom Adolin, maybe they don't. In the end, Adolin makes his way back home, with Eshonai and well insert whichever story arc you want here.

I thought it had potential, but I would rate as one chance in a million of happening. The idea was to group Eshonai and Adolin within the same story line as I thought it was an interesting idea combined with the fact I do think they have unfinished business.

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

I give to Mraize hands down. He's a worldhopper who considers himself a predator. 

The only thing Amaram gas ever managed is to ride in "heroically" at the end of battles already won, and have his horse fall on him and break his leg. 

Amaram seems to be accepted as a good warrior and swordsman among lighteyes, and we know its not all false reputation: Dalinar has seen him fight in duels. And he also has Plate and Blade.

54 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Amaram seems to be accepted as a good warrior and swordsman among lighteyes, and we know its not all false reputation: Dalinar has seen him fight in duels. And he also has Plate and Blade.

Just blade 

Jasnah discovers the existence of oath gates opens one and travels to urithiru where she and Shallan resume their relationship as teacher and student

Zahel runs into Szeth and some words are exchanged

The members of the 17nth shard catch up with Hoid and try to capture him. Whereupon he beats them with little effort and walks away.

Kaladin will run into Roshone, but will spare his life and follow his oaths instead of seeking revenge. 

Renarin will at some point save Adolin's life.

On 7/10/2017 at 3:40 AM, FiveLate said:
  1. We learn more about other unmade.  We only have small amounts of facts on 3 of them, and the names of 6.  I theorize there should be 9.

Where is that info I would love to see it.

On 7/10/2017 at 9:09 AM, Rawrbert said:

5 - Navani will have bonded the Honourblade Kaladin gave to Dalinar, to study it, have protection of her own when Dalinar isn't around, and because nobody will expect her, a woman, to have something so precious.

Great idea!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea if this has been mentioned before, but I think there will be a not necessarily awkward love triangle. I think it will end up which Shallan and Adolin, with Kaladin as a close friend to both, but it might start as a sort of stare- down, with Shallan being Shallan, and in the end Kaladin choosing to... How do I word this? Give his life 100℅ to the Knights, instead of having the distractions of love.

I think odium will choose a champion and it will be...

Edgedancer spoilers

Spoiler

Lift!

Odium will promise her the elusive tenth pancake, and she will figure that since she already pals around with a voidbringer there really isn't much to lose in agreeing to the bargain. Nobody else will give her the storming tenth pancake, and if Darkness is kind of, sort of, maybe the good guy, how much worse can odium be really? Roshars fate is not to be scoured, it's to be eaten!

38 minutes ago, Tesh said:

I have no idea if this has been mentioned before, but I think there will be a not necessarily awkward love triangle. I think it will end up which Shallan and Adolin, with Kaladin as a close friend to both, but it might start as a sort of stare- down, with Shallan being Shallan, and in the end Kaladin choosing to... How do I word this? Give his life 100℅ to the Knights, instead of having the distractions of love.

I'm not a fan of romance in books. I hate the idea of a love triangle. I don't want it. 

But I don't want this either. Kaladin's already sacrificed more than enough. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

I'm not a fan of romance in books. I hate the idea of a love triangle. I don't want it. 

This is usually me. I'm not for a love triangle, but I'm also not against it. But Sanderson is very good at putting realistic romance in his book, but keeping it from interfering from the plot to much.

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

But I don't want this either. Kaladin's already sacrificed more than enough. 

Yes, I agree with this as well. This is not what I want to happen, or what I don't want to happen, they're just my thoughts.

Edited by Tesh

1 hour ago, aemetha said:

I think odium will choose a champion and it will be...

Edgedancer spoilers

Hide contents

Lift!

Odium will promise her the elusive tenth pancake, and she will figure that since she already pals around with a voidbringer there really isn't much to lose in agreeing to the bargain. Nobody else will give her the storming tenth pancake, and if Darkness is kind of, sort of, maybe the good guy, how much worse can odium be really? Roshars fate is not to be scoured, it's to be eaten!

I can't tell if you are serious about this, or joking, or sort of half and half. 'Cause it half seems like something Lift would do...

Sorry for the double post. I posted the first one before I saw this, and you can't put quotes in posts you are editing. (At least not in any way I know about).

Only vague ideas but

Eshonai is solo for a while and because she isn't in political power anymore Odium's focus on her lessens, allowing her to fight more and maybe even free herself from the voidspren. Maybe she will bond with the comet spren, maybe not yet, but I think we'll see her join up with the group of non stormform listeners and join them. They may join the humans at some point, which should facilitate finding new non void forms. 

I desperately want a chapter from Venli's perspective, she should be a treasure trove of information about forms, Unmade etc. I want to kniw what she's up to. I hope we get new void-listener forms, I'd say this is basically a given. We'll start seeing actual Voidbringers, that use the voids(?)  from the voidbinding chart. 

I'm very excited about the illustrations, I think we may see a Kholinar map and maybe an actual fabrial/gemheart magic explanation sheet. I would love to get a detailed image of one or more listener forms. More fauna and flora as well, I can never get enough of that. If we're lucky a clearer image of the larkin, and if Shallan stumbles across some old sketches maybe lanceryn. But I've got a feeling we'll have to wait for Rysn's larkin to grow up until we get to see what they looked like. 

More fabrial discoveries of course, Navanni could perhaps reverse engineer some of the simpler mechanisms in Urithiru, or find plans how to build some of the more complicated ones. 

More radiants join the main cast, my money is still on the apothecary becoming a lightweaver, and Kaladin will bring back whoever he finds in Kholinar.

These are kind of theories, but kind of things I'm looking forward to seeing.

1. Adolin will confess to killing Sadeas.  There will be some sort of major consequence for this (either his execution or he'll flee).

2. Taravangian will make some sort of move against Alethkar.  The Diagram and Taravangian's fluctuating intelligence levels are two of the most fascinating ideas Sanserson has ever come up with.   

3. Kaladin confronting Roshone.

4. Dalinar's relationship with the Stormfather and what abilities/insights it give him (Dalinar).

5. Nale and the Skybreakers will be coming back to Uirithiru.  I'll be very interested to see how that interaction works Because 1. A confirmed Herald interacting with the Radiants in a non hostile way (I'm not counting "Taln" until it's confirmed that he's who he says he is.) 2. What place the Skybreakers will fill in Dalinar's reformed Radiants. 

6.   Learning more about Gavilar and hopefully what his goals were (that last part might be a bit of a stretch for this book).

7. How Shallan uses her in with the Ghostbloods.

8. Jasnah meeting up with the Radiants at Uritthiru and explaining what she knows to them.

9. How Elokhar fits into the bigger picture.

10.  What Dalinar's boon was.

1. Either Adolin will be killed or will be saved at the last minute by Renarin.  Kal will comfort Shallan if Adolin dies, leading to them getting together. 

2. Amaram will become a high prince, replacing Sadeas, and may end up as a radiant.

3. Jasnah becomes a worldhopper.

4. We find out who Hoid is writing to in the letter, and who he is hiding from that he says he came to Scandrial to find.  

5. Vasher finds out that Szeth has nightblood.