MeLaans metal bones

Mewmeister

Just now, Mewmeister said:

Why are they aluminum, they is literally no reason for then to be aluminum.

Being aluminum guarantees that they can't be pushed or pulled. Its a good enough reason for me at least.

Might I ask why you don't see any reason for them to be Aluminum?

4 minutes ago, Extesian said:

So they can't be magically affected by even the most powerful magic user I guess? 

Or just because it's soooo gangsta to use the world's most expensive metal as your skeleton. So bling.

But they are inside her body, no one alive on Scadrial could push them, even if they were steel or iron.

What's the point of bling if nobody can see it.

Edited by Mewmeister

2 minutes ago, Mewmeister said:

But they are inside her body, no one alive on Scadrial could push them, even if they were steel or iron.

We have no evidence on whether or not a Savant could push on internal metal, so better safe than sorry. And now that medallions are a thing, its money well spent.

MeLaan probably has aluminum bones for the same reason that solid gold toilets are a thing. She's an immortal and probably has a good chunk of money if she is able to afford a skeleton's worth of aluminum, so why not have one?

But on a more serious note I do think it is important to note that she might not be using it for its magical attributes, but rather its more mundane ones. Aluminum is fairly strong, but also relatively light. That sounds like a perfect material to use.

3 minutes ago, WeiryWriter said:

MeLaan probably has aluminum bones for the same reason that solid gold toilets are a thing. She's an immortal and probably has a good chunk of money if she is able to afford a skeleton's worth of aluminum, so why not have one?

But on a more serious note I do think it is important to note that she might not be using it for its magical attributes, but rather its more mundane ones. Aluminum is fairly strong, but also relatively light. That sounds like a perfect material to use.

Maybe, but I don't thing weight is really an issue. The inside of a Kanda is probably gel-like in nature.

I always assumed it was for the ability to not have anyone be able to push/pull on them when used, and so that if they were near the surface of her skin anywhere they couldn't be detected by someone burning steel or iron. 

Blue lines going to her skull and such would kind of give away that she's not your typical human. 

But the Kandra bones don't have to be a metal.  They could be crystal, or wood, or real bone.  So if the reason is to avoid Allomantic push/pull there are still plenty of options that aren't aluminum.

Because of that I do suspect it's more of a bling thing, or maybe a way to carry "emergency" funds, just sell a finger bone in a pinch.

1 minute ago, Chinsukolo said:

Kandra bones don't have to be a metal.  They could be crystal, or wood, or real bone.

I'll refer back to Weiry's point that aluminum is both strong and lightweight, whereas crystal is usually heavy, wood likely breaks down faster, and I think Harmony had a thing against human bones because of the morbidity inherent in it.

Just now, The One Who Connects said:

I'll refer back to Weiry's point that aluminum is both strong and lightweight, whereas crystal is usually heavy, wood likely breaks down faster, and I think Harmony had a thing against human bones because of the morbidity inherent in it.

I have nothing against that statement, seems logical to me.  

I just wanted to point out that they don't have to be metal, so implying their aluminium because it's a non-push/pull allomantic metal seemed kinda unlikely with so many other options that meet that need.

If I recall many Kandra had different sets for different reasons.  I could see crystal for fighting - can push/pull, add's exrta mass for hand to hand, and probably more stability.  I could see using wood in a pinch because they need'ed something to form off of an maybe their previous one was damaged or lost.  Lots of options here for a variety of materials.

Just now, Chinsukolo said:

I just wanted to point out that they don't have to be metal, so implying their aluminium because it's a non-push/pull allomantic metal seemed kinda unlikely with so many other options that meet that need.

The push/pull is largely a "if they are metal, why that one?" point. But yea, they don't have to be metal. I think hers are because metal would last the longest out of the materials we've named.

3 minutes ago, Chinsukolo said:

But the Kandra bones don't have to be a metal.  They could be crystal, or wood, or real bone.  So if the reason is to avoid Allomantic push/pull there are still plenty of options that aren't aluminum.

Because of that I do suspect it's more of a bling thing, or maybe a way to carry "emergency" funds, just sell a finger bone in a pinch.

They don't have to be, but I feel like these are all valid answers. If you can afford aluminum bones... why wouldn't you have them??

They are lighter and stronger than most non-metal materials, they are allomantically inert, so no worries about pushing/pulling or blue lines, they could be used as cash in a pinch, or even a weapon if she pulls out a femur, they are very hard to break... 

the list probably keeps going...

That was pretty obviously MeLaan's "Combat Body," what with swords stored in the armbones and such.  Wood, Crystal, rock, etc. that's soft enough to be easily shaped into a proper skeleton won't be strong enough to survive the rigors of combat, especially against Allomancers and Feruchemists, as we've seen a few times with TenSoon in the Original Trilogy.  Thus, she needed a metal.  Personally, I get the impression that kandra bodies are a little different from human bodies, and the "can't sense/push/pull" rule is a little less solid (pun intended) where they're concerned, and it's hardly a true absolute even for humans.  Thus, MeLaan would want a metal for her metal combat body that she could be absolutely certain would be undetectable via Allomancy (since if it wasn't she'd be a pretty bad infiltrator) and one that couldn't be affected by Allomancy (otherwise it'd be a pretty bad combat body).  Plus, as mentioned, she has the swords in the arms, and possibly other weapons elsewhere, at which point she's deliberately taking parts of her skeleton out of her body, where the no sense/push/pull rule no longer applies.  As such, aluminum makes perfect sense for this kind of application.

Plus, it makes for a rad Terminator shout-out.

There are loads of reasons for the aluminum skeleton:

1. Aluminum is about one-third the density of steel.  A steel skeleton would be mega-inconvenient as it would slow her down immensely
  2. Detached aluminum limbs can't be pushed away allomantically
  3. Aluminum is biologically inert; pretty much the only metals that would be better from a biochemistry perspective are titanium, surgical-grade stainless steel, and gold
  4. Kandra's bodies are different from people's, but a massive quantity of corroding metal probably isn't good for them, so most metals are unsuitable for building a skeleton, even if you don't consider weight
  5. And my favorite: Surrounding her "brain" with aluminum may prevent allomancers from possessing her.

17 minutes ago, hwiles said:

And my favorite: Surrounding her "brain" with aluminum may prevent Allomancers from possessing her.

Oh right, the aluminum foil hat concept but for Kandra. Forgot about that one. And I believe that it would, since the same works for steelpushing/ironpulling items in an aluminum box. From the May WoB roundup.

http://i.imgur.com/qdxbHAk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As so many have stated it is allomantically inert which protects her from being pulled apart or possessed. It is also lighter than most other metals which has been stated which would allow her to move relatively quickly.

• Chaos locked this topic