Homeworld of the Ones Above

9 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Possible. I suppose if silverlight scholars develop FTL, which why not, it would be using this method only. 
Wow.. I think space era is going to be amazing!!

I agree. It's what all of this is leading up to and the Cosmere is going to be the first of it's kind as a fantasy series/universe that runs the gamut from Medieval Kingdoms to Sci-fi Space Operas!

1 hour ago, Lunu’anaki said:

I agree. It's what all of this is leading up to and the Cosmere is going to be the first of it's kind as a fantasy series/universe that runs the gamut from Medieval Kingdoms to Sci-fi Space Operas!

For the first time in fantasy, we'll get to see a world, actually multiple worlds, develop and go through various stages of civilization

I don't think any other work has done this

3 hours ago, Honorless said:

For the first time in fantasy, we'll get to see a world, actually multiple worlds, develop and go through various stages of civilization

I don't think any other work has done this

It is stuff like this that no one else does that I am here... :)

Hey @Karger, I'm sorry about the way I acted on this thread. I definitely came off way too strongly. I think I carried over a lot of the vitriol over from our arguments on one of Oltux's topics on Shardplate & Copperclouds and Skathan, where you disagreed on my defenses of your own theories. Let's just let bygones be bygones.

I decided to apologize here publicly since the fight was public too. Just DM me one way or another; let's not create more of a show for future visitors to this thread.

Edited by Honorless

2 hours ago, The traveller said:

How do you guys think Nalthis might achieve FTL? There magic seems to be least explored and I can not think of how awakening might help.... any ideas..

Maybe very complex commands are now possible and there are national treasuries of Breath; entire civilizations and technological marvels fuelled by Breath. After all, Awakening is the most unrestricted Investiture system we've seen so far: an Awakener could easily Command a machine to have pertual movement, which could be used to generate energy, that could be used to fuel spaceships.

Higher Heightenings can grant immortality but that wouldn't be too widespread, so I don't know what they're going to do about the long, long, long travel through interstellar space.

6 hours ago, Honorless said:

I decided to apologize here publicly since the fight was public too. Just DM me one way or another; let's not create more of a show for future visitors to this thread.

Agreed.

6 hours ago, The traveller said:

How do you guys think Nalthis might achieve FTL? There magic seems to be least explored and I can not think of how awakening might help.... any ideas..

Hmm.  Honestly with Nalthis's magic system the right command would do it.  "Go impossibly fast when asked to!"  Or. "Make waves/holes in the space time continuum!"

Edited by Karger

On 11/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, Honorless said:

To add to 3): so many Elantrians must've chosen the Pool by this time. The Pool, which we know, is actually Devotion's Perpendicularity. So there must be many Elantrian worldhoppers by this point, like the lighthouse keeper/Hoed from before the Reod.

I previously noted that the Ire seem to have a lot of Realmatic knowledge but seemingly no desire to help Sel flourish. I didn't consider these other Elantrians who might have grown weary of the world and chosen the Pool or otherwise thrown into the Pool. 

Yup, Sel is also a good candidate for the Ones Above.

Less Worldhoppers from Sel, as it turns out. I didn't factor in the Dor, which is a giant storm of churning plasma Investiture

Titan Arum

If a Hoed goes to the shardpool in the mountains, what happens to them in the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

What do you think happens to them?

Titan Arum

I want to say that the IRE, but I know they’re not because they’re really, really, really, really old.

Brandon Sanderson

I have...

Questioner 2

I have a theory that that’s how you get seons.

Brandon Sanderson

Here’s the thing, here’s the thing, what have I said about the Cognitive Realm on Sel?

Titan Arum

That it’s really, really dangerous.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Any guesses why?

Titan Arum

Because the Shards are Splintered so all the power of the Dor is kind of sloshing around and it’s basically like a highstorm there.

Brandon Sanderson

So, what would happen if someone went into there through the shardpool?

Titan Arum

It’s probably not as good as they think it is?

Brandon Sanderson

No.

Titan Arum

Would they get splintered like that?

Brandon Sanderon

No they’d just...

Titan Arum

Would they get ripped apart?

Brandon Sanderon

Yeah. That’s why it’s really dangerous.

Titan Arum

Ouch.

Questioner

So the Elantrians are just dying when they go in...

Questioner

So when the Hoed or the Elantrians go in...

Brandon Sanderon

For the...let’s just say they’re cast into a very dangerous environment without any preparation for it.

Questioner

So how’d the Ire get there?

Questioner

They have gone before or they may have been properly prepared.

Brandon Sanderon

There’s some theories, that are theories that could totally be the case.  Or you could theorize others as well.

Calamity Philadelphia signing (Feb. 20, 2016)

The lighthouse keeper survived though, so others may have managed as well, just not as many as I had originally thought

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 0:49 AM, The traveller said:

But the ones above (Toa) have the intention to eventually capture the fots.. which I doubt the scholars of silverlight are into..

Unless this is an evolved imperial silverlight.  Organizations have been known to change over time.

10 hours ago, Honorless said:

Pure speculation but if it makes you happy...

10 hours ago, The traveller said:

A little too far fetched and not based on anything we know.. possible but I highly doubt that..

Shrugs.  I am fairly certain they are scadrain.  Entertaining other lines of speculation can be fun.

Edited by Karger

• 2 weeks later...

OK lets break down all possibilities.

1. Scadrail.

Scadrail is the obvious choice.  It has a a lot of well educated people who know more then most about their invested arts.  These invested arts are also being mechanized and work at unlimited range from scadrail and they can make FTL somehow.  It has the economy necessary to sustain some serious industry and the ones above have not demonstrated any abilities that the scadrains do not have.  Assuming no major disasters scadrail in space is only a matter of time.  On the other hand scadrail has two perpendicularities.  This means that they have no need to invent space travel.  In addition to this scadrails especially northern ones have been remarkably lazy these last few centuries and they don't have any pressing need to leave home.

2. Roshar

Roshar (assuming it is not destroyed by Odium) is an extremely energetic culture on the cusp of an industrial(fabrial) revolution.  Fabrails may easily allow any of the powers we have witnessed.  Additional the surges will soon be better understood thanks to Radiant revival.  Rosharans also do have a pressing need to get off planet(Odium's forces) and only one stable perpendicularity(which is currently under siege).  FTL could well be possible with fabrail tec.  On the other hand fabrails are based on spren who can't leave Roshar.  In fact even Hoid does not yet know how to circumvent this.  This problem is almost certainly fixable but it should still be taken into consideration.

3. Nalthis

Nalthis is a nice planet.  With a growing population and only one stable perpendicularity.  This perpendicularity is also under the control of a single country with a powerful lifeless(zombie) army.  Any other country would need FTL to compete with this kind of monopoly.  We also don't know the full capabilities of breath commands.  If I had 80,000 breath and told a can of beans to be a hyperdrive it probably would listen.  However even the Nalthians themselves don't really know the full capacity of breath and breath itself is quite expensive.

4. Sel

Sel has a dozen magic systems and a bunch of plasma in the CR.  Ample reason to invent FTL.  The magic system itself is capable of anything and the population is both large and increasingly well educated.  The only problem really is the region locked nature of Selish magic systems.  This is cercumventeable but should also be noted.

5. Threnody

I thought it bore mentioning.  We have no idea of this planet's magic system or what it is capable of.  It does not have a stable perpendicularity and someone on this planet must have some ambition.

6. Taldain

Dayside magic will not do anything here(so far as we know) but we have no idea about darkside magic.  The planet is also technologically advanced and is effectively under siege.  This could be interesting.

7. Silverlight

If anyone has the tec the Silverlight will have it too if not first.  What do you think?

This one is long longer a possibility.  One down 6 to go!

Edited by Ookla the Prolific
Honorless comment

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Honorless said:

Hmm... technically, didn't we also know of Yolen around the time of that WoB? lol

We do know that Yolen exists but something odd is happening with them.  Also no canonical works have mentioned Yolen by name yet(with the exception of Khriss's essays) so a number of WoBs seem to disqualify it as a possibility.

20 hours ago, Honorless said:

Yeah, seems so :D All that plus he uses the word "planet" to describe the where the Ones Above belong, so places like Silverlight and other Worldhopper orgs based in the Cognitive are out too

Good catch I have updated accordingly.

I checked and the earliest WoB was a bit before the release of Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. So, Threnody might also not be a valid candidate. The other planets in the Drominad System are also out as they first got a mention in the Arcanum Unbounded essays. I don't think think Taldain should be counted either as White Sand graphic novels weren't out yet only the semi-canonical prose version, though an inter-Autonomy planetary scale conflict would have been interesting. Only Scadrial, Roshar, Sel and Nalthis are available as options

Edited by Honorless

12 hours ago, Honorless said:

I don't think think Taldain should be counted either as White Sand graphic novels weren't out yet only the semi-canonical prose version

Yeah but I don't want people getting mad at me for writing this one off.

12 hours ago, Honorless said:

while Sixth of the Dusk released in the same year but a bit later

Or this one.  Brandon might not have been thinking about precise release dates.