Ask Extesian Anything

Extesian

Now I'm past the 6 month mark, I've been here long enough for some people to know me but short enough that not many know me that well. So if anyone is interested, ask away :)

For easy background, I'm 37, male, Australian (raised in Perth but live in Canberra), I recently lived in Prague for two years and I've been reading Brandon for a bit under two years (enough for one reread of the full Cosmere collection so far).

What has been your favorite place to live and why?

What has been the biggest difference from the different cultures in which you have lived?

Have you ever played jai alai?

Favorite regional dish (food) amongst the different places you have gone?

@Ammanas

My favourite place to live has definitely been Prague. It’s the most beautiful city I’ve ever seen (and I’ve travelled a LOT) and I never got tired of walking past 800 year old castles, the sense of tolerance and freedom, the beer that is cheaper than water and arguably the best in the world, the Czechs’ love of nature and the lifestyle that comes from being able to drink and party in parks in summer, and in underground bunker pubs in winter.

There are no cultural differences between the main Australian cities. I lived in Colorado (working at a ski resort) for a few months many years ago, and Americans have slightly different cultural aspects but are obviously very similar. The Czechs are fascinating. A very independent, free-thinking people (they’re the Bohemians the hippies took the word from), ultra-libertarian (not Ayn Ran libertarian but more nobody cares what you do if it doesn’t hurt someone else – a legacy also of generations of being under austro-hungarian/nazi/communist rule), they’re quite a closed people (my girlfriend is Czech but it was still hard to get to know Czechs there – it’s the flip side of the coolness of their libertarian nature).

I do not know jai alai.

Favourite dish is tough. Firstly I’m vegetarian now so my favourite dishes of the past are no longer in play. My favourite cuisines are Japanese/French (equal first), then Thai.

@Calderis

We all have superpowers. They’re regionalized. But you get tired of the same old tiny, deadly things. I had to go out of my way to go cage diving with great white sharks in South Africa, and open water diving with Bull Sharks in Fiji. Gimme big and deadly.

@Toaster Retribution

Do I like beavers? DO I LIKE BEAVERS? Yeah I stormin’ dig beavers. Civil Engineers with a bushy tail. If I didn’t have a girlfriend, I’d date one.

My favourite Cosmere character in terms of enjoyment is, without contest, Lightsong. If I were to ever be a hero, it would be along his lines. My favourite character in terms of development and moments of utter emotion is Kaladin. I get goosebumps thinking about the climactic moments with him. And in terms of curiosity, Hoid of course. How could it not be.

@Shqueeves

Depends on the pillows. One hard, or two very soft. It’s a constant problem for me. If I was a ferring, I would definitely choose the ability to store and tap neck-comfort.

Edited by Extesian

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

What is your favorite movie?

What is your opinion of Lasagna?

Which cosmere character would fit in well with your family?

Favourite movie is Lord of the Rings, easily. Not only is it the best adaptation ever made of fantasy (yes, I include ASoIaF), it is the thing that got me into fantasy, a condition from which I’ve never recovered. After seeing it, I read the books, then all the Tolkien books, then slowly migrated through Feist, Hobb, Weeks and others until discovering Brandon. All thanks to the first person to truly translate fantasy to the screen.

Lasagne I’m fond of. I’m a vegetarian now though, so lasagne is a bit harder, but eggplant or textured soy protein still makes a good one :)

Which Cosmere characater would fit it with my family? That’s a really interesting question. My family is full of honest, giving people with a lot of confidence but very little arrogance, and an outrageous sense of humour combined with a natural moderate religious conservatism. Lightsong would fit in very well, which is probably why he’s the character I enjoy to read the most. Hoid would definitely fit (but Brandon’s warnings that he does some pretty bad things means he would superficially fit in only). Wayne would fit nicely as well. Kaldin’s story and courage would fit in but not so much his personality. I’d say Lightsong the most. He may be a bit anti-religious, but then I feel that if a family member was actually a ‘god’ they would be instinctively against being worshipped :)

• 2 weeks later...