2 minutes ago, BrightnessRadiant said:
  Hide contents

Jasnah could've turned some of their limbs into crystal or something haha (problem solved)

Also I don't agree with Adolin but I was still happy about it ha!

SA spoilers

Humans might perceive themselves as a Cognitive whole too strongly for that. Would be an interesting question. Also might not have been guaranteed to bring the desired results.

Two men stood at the edge of the world.

"Are you contemplating what I'm contemplating Petyr?"
"Sure am Cranium.  But how will we get three Chulls into one pair of Horneater pants?"
"No Petyr. It's time for us to do our thing."
"And what thing is that Cranium?"
"Why it's the same thing we do every game.  Try to take over the world."

Petyr and Cranium are joining the fun.

9 hours ago, The Flash said:

Guys can we get a few more people please so we can run extra factions? Join us:D

I would love to play, but my next championship game is in 6 days, so I'd need to die early, which hurts whatever faction I'm a part of.

Can I delete the post above? 

Spoiler

Good point.

@Roadwalker @Megasif @SamiI'm going to play devil's advocate for a second and ask:

what if those guys had targeted someone other than Jasnah and succeeded in doing something horrible? What should the punishment have been for them? I think the death penalty would have been fitting, because they would have had no remorse for their actions and would likely have done them again, so killing them would have been net positive. That's where I think Jasnah's actions were just, in that she administered a fitting penalty for their intended actions, but they weren't ethical because her intent in setting out was to kill

Spoiler

@Elenion

I think @Drake Marshall has summarised it well.

Tbh I've now seen quite a few threads discussing the ethical/moral and right/wrong of Adolin's and Jasnah's actions. So I've got my mind pretty much made up as I felt closer to one conclusion than the other numerous opinions. I'll write my own summary and, although not everything, some of it will honestly be a mix of what other people have said and using that to make my own mind. There's a few initial things to consider. One is the law of their world and the perception of the right/wrong by the people of Roshar. This could change or be different by region, country, class, race. And different on the whole of Roshar, it being a different planet.

Now some of the things could be, and are, universal. Such as 'honor'; it will be similar, if not the same, in most societies/cultures. However, even honor as we have seen, can be upto perception. As we have nicely been shown by the factions in SA so far and which we will become a part of soon. A brief example is Amaram and Sons of Honor, as they clearly believe that reviving the voidbringers will bring the heralds back, leading to their salvation, so the cost does not matter. That's their code that they will adhere to and follow, and this, in their sight, (or at least Amaram, as noted by Kaladin towards WoR) is them being honorable. 

Back to Jasnah, we can split each part of the whole Jasnah affair into separate steps and whether each was ethical or unethical and right or wrong. So first they leave the safety of the library with her motive (as we know) of teaching Shallan. If Jasnah knew full well what will happen if she does go out, was it right and was it ethical/moral. 

On to your point. When they are confronted, she could have disabled them. Put them in prison, maybe. Tear a limb or two off, maybe. Kill them? Since they will keep on doing what they believe in anyway. If not Jasnah and Shallan then maybe someone else. Ones who might not be able to defend themselves.

The order of events in a scenario such as this, in most of the world(Earth), would be imprisonment, trial and punishment. Can we regard this case as someone being assaulted and killing in self defence?

The whole situation could have been avoided if Jasnah had not decided go out for this purpose initially. In her mind it was the right thing to do as it was killing two birds with one stone; getting rid of some criminals and giving Shallan important life lessons. I think that mentality itself, was wrong and unethical. Onto the confrontation itself. I think it was the best 'right' thing to do considering the character of Jasnah, the state of the world, the thinking of lighteyes and the safety of people that could have been victims to the criminals. The unethical aspect is that she decided to take the law in her own hands and mete out justice, on the basis of her beliefs and her perception of right and wrong. 

You mention the death penalty being fitting as they would have had no remorse. But, I don't think we can say that with 100% certainty. Unlikely as it may be, they could also have been someone's means of safety. And I can give an example right away. That of the soldiers turned bandits: Vathah and Gaz's gang. The penalty was death for them fleeing, I believe? Yet they became the means of Shallan's life being saved on a more than a few occasions. Now I'm not trying to plead the case of the criminals here but just pointing out that with cases like this, there is no 100% certainty. Maybe after a long time in prison, they decide to change their ways. It comes back to the thinking that will bad people always be bad. And though it is true in some, it can be false. What would you do with a person who you know might one day succumb to evil, although he is good now? Do we end him/her now so that there is no possible evil though that person? No one person should be allowed to choose who lives and dies. Ending a life is ending all possibilities for it, I think. 

To summarise, I think that Jasnah's actions, regarding the confrontation itself, were right but unethical. Hope I haven't been blabbing on and repeating the same thing. This is probably my longest post as I don't usually make these. :wacko:

I don't know if this the best place for it, but feel free to agree/disagree and point out things you feel are wrong and the things I might have missed. We still have a few hours until the game start.

Essay by Zephyras,

A human/parshendi hybrid,

The liaison of the Parshendi and Alethi leaders,

Aged Peacekeeper of the once grand city of Stormseat,

Also known by the alias, Cloaked Wanderer of the Unclaimed hills,

Ponderer of boring immortality.

:P

P.s I have done a terrible job of quoting and editing and doubleposting

Edited by Megasif

17 hours ago, BrightnessRadiant said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Jasnah could've turned some of their limbs into crystal or something haha (problem solved)

Also I don't agree with Adolin but I was still happy about it ha!

SA spoilers

Do we even know if it's possible to

Spoiler

soulcast part of an object?

Day 1: Fateful Greetings

Dalinar Kholin watched the delegation move across the Shattered Plains. The bridges joining the plateaus moved slowly, armored chulls dragging their immense frames with methodical slowness. The bridges were sturdy, capable of supporting a cavalry charge, and his folk walked confidently across it. This peace treaty could be a gift from the Almighty. With the war ended, he could get the fractured political leaders of his people back home, governing as they were meant to. Alethkar could cease pouring years of resources into an endless war, and use her newfound unity to become strong and prosperous. But first, peace had to come.

Not everyone would be happy with it. Many of the Highprinces loved the play-act of war that this had become. No real risk to themselves, and a great deal of financial gain from the gemhearts of the plateaus. Some might even violently object. He looked back at his company, walking over the chasms.

He hoped no traitors walked among them.

--------------------------------------

Eshonai sat in nimbleform, on a rocky mount overlooking the meeting plateau. The Alethi had come armed, of course. That was to be expected. She hummed the Rhythm of Satisfaction, though. After years of war, she had offered a peace token and he had actually come! There might be a way to save her people after all. But she had heard worrying rumors from the scholars - rumors of new and dangerous forms, connected with their gods. Some among them might be desperate enough to assume those forms. She would have to keep a close watch on her own.

--------------------------------------

Day 1 has begun! It will end in 48 hours. Remember that there is no Night Cycle - all actions are performed during the Day Turn, along with votes and the lynch.

blu_1499994000.png

Alethi Player List:

1. Locke @OrlokTsubodai
  2. Straw @Straw
  3. Unnamed Character 1 @BrightnessRadiant
  4. Ethelinar @StrikerEZ
  5. Zephyras @Megasif
  6. Stick @_Stick_
  7. Samar @Sami
  8. TBD @A Joe in the Bush
  9. Aredor @asterion137
  10. Max Mercury @The Flash
  11. Rif @Yitzi2
  12. Unnamed Character 4 @Sart
  13. Raaman @Hemalurgic_Headshot
  14. Unnamed Character 5 @Crimsn-Wolf
  15. Kreshela @Elbereth

Parshendi Player List:

1. Kintas @Jondesu
  2. Plato Andersen @Elenion
  3. TBD @Roadwalker
  4. Kyner @Drake Marshall
  5. Anya @Daniyah
  6. Mint @Frozen Mint
  7. Corinoc @cloudjumper
  8. Petyr and Cranium @Alvron

Edited by Seonid

• Alvron locked this topic

I had a feeling I would be parshendi. Even prepared some RP for it. Which is back home on my computer. I'll post it in an hour or so when I get home.

Anyways, we are a slight minority. Interesting. Factions analysis will arrive soon too.

Also, first post :D

EDIT: ninjad striker why u do dis

Edited by Drake Marshall

11 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Okay, since I'm Alethi, my character will be Ethelinar, a young lighteyes of the sixth dahn trying to find his way in the world.

And by the same token, my character will be Rif, an Alendi darkeyes from the camp of Highlord Vamah.  He tends to be shy, except when he has an idea he wants to share.

Speaking of which:

"Let's get it out, right now.  The Parshendi cannot be trusted.  This "peace" thing is a nice dream, but it's not going to work, and trying to make it work is a bad idea."

(OOC more details: Parshendi characters come in one of three categories: Parshendi Ghostbloods have a win condition incompatible with everyone else's, and therefore should be lynched.  Voidbringers are trying to kill Alethi, and therefore should be lynched.  Regular Parshendi, if they're all killed with at least one Son of Honor and at least one vanilla Alethi alive, will result in a victory for the vanilla Alethi, and therefore should be lynched.  Conclusion: We should lynch a Parshendi character.)

I really really really wanted to be parshendi. Darn. Well hi, I'm max mercury, and I have no idea why any sane Rosharian mother named their child that. Oooh and I think I might create another analysis compilation document. It might not be as important in a faction game, but it might be a valuable resource (and no one has told me not to do it, so I think it's ok...). 

Edited by The Flash

2 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

@Seonid I was wondering, do all the Alethi have an Alethi-only role? Or are some of them just Alethea, with no special roles?

Also, I'm really excited for this game. I'll do some RP tomorrow probably.

Play and find out!

Ok. Max Mercury. Hm. 

Max Mercury is a lighteyes of the 4th dahn, who serves underneath Highprince Thanadal. Being under an unimportant Highprince has its disadvantages, though. And so he plans on using this trip to curry favor with some of the more powerful highprinces...