Vasher Heightenings

Darth Revan

12 minutes ago, Extesian said:

To respond to @Calderis spoiler

Hide contents

My first thought was that the aura doesn't show off Nalthis but I can't find anything to support it. My head Canon was that Nalthis itself represents investiture saturation as heightened color. But that may just be a theory I never found enough evidence for to post 

The alternative of course is that he has his normal Breaths in another object. Or that he's simply run out of all but his Divine Breath.

Spoiler

And Wits use of the heightenings? 

Edit: I just had a thought. Is it ever mentioned if Drabs are unable to detect the breath aura? Since all Nalthians are born with a Breath, if Drabs are unable to perceive the aura, then seeing it may be a product of Breath itself. 

Edited by Calderis

44 minutes ago, Calderis said:
  Hide contents

Edit: I just had a thought. Is it ever mentioned if Drabs are unable to detect the breath aura? Since all Nalthians are born with a Breath, if Drabs are unable to perceive the aura, then seeing it may be a product of Breath itself. 

Hmmm this is an interesting WoB

Q: Why is Hoid’s color aura from his Breaths not noticed by anyone on Roshar? Are the characters just not used to noticing that sort of thing, or does he not have one?

A: There are a mixture of reasons. Not the least is Hoid's control over investiture. 

Q: Would someone with breath be able to notice his aura on Roshar? E.g. Vasher?

A: Various methods of detecting investiture would still work, depending on how good a job Hoid is doing of suppressing his.

So it should be visible on Roshar without it being suppressed. A number of reasons though. 

I believe that the Ars Arcanum from Warbreaker says that people with only one breath can't notice color distortion from Awakeners below fifty breaths themselves, so if Vasher can just suppress his Divine Breath as discussed previously, it would make sense that he just lacks enough breath to have an aura visible to a non-Awakener. Plus, since he is on Roshar, he could use Stormlight to keep himself alive, which is much more readily available on a weekly basis than Breaths. He would probably feel a lot more comfortable keeping only the equivalent of a few breaths on hand, just in case.

EDIT: And thanks, @Calderis, I'm a huge Star Wars fan and the KOTOR games are some of my favorites.

Edited by Darth Revan
Thanked another member for compliment

As other said Vasher could suppress his Divine Breath.

You may notice how in the prologue he mentioned that he could reach the fifth heightening in every moment if he want, also Denth too is a Returned and He manage to suppress his Divine Breath in the same way Vasher does.

14 minutes ago, ZenBossanova said:

Opps.... really should have used the spoiler tag there. 

We all lose track of what subforum we're in from time to time. Especially when we've got crossover discussions(magics/characters). Don't sweat it, and just try to keep them in the tags next time.

On 6/30/2017 at 1:03 AM, Calderis said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This is my opinion of why.

Everyone on Nalthis has a breath minus the drag so can at least see the Aura.  Off Nathis no one has breath so they don't see an Aura.  I suspect that a Radiant might see it or an Allomancer actively burning might as well.

As Brandon mentioned, multiple ways to detect it and people could if they knew what they were doing, or Hoid and Vasher do a bad job hiding it.  But that does not change the fact that the average POV chara has no active investiture going at the time and so won't see it.  Which is why I still agree with Calderis point - i.e. it explains the avergae population not seeing it.   The WoB explains why people in the "know" might not see Hoid's Aura specifically (and probably Vasher's).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic