Favorite Wayne Quote

firstRainbowRose

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2018 at 8:49 PM, Lopen stormblessed said:

What is the full story to this?

Here it is bands of mourning ch6 the scene where he and Marasi are in the booth in the train's dining car 

Wayne nodded thoughtfully. “I knew this fellow once,” he said, leaning back again, feet on the table, “who thought it would be a good idea to take people huntin’. City folk, you know? Who ain’t never seen an animal larger than a rat what ate too much? Out in the Roughs, we got lions. Fierce things, with lotsa teeth an—”

“I know what a lion is, Wayne.”

“Right. Well, Chip—that’s his name—he got some broadsheets printed up, but borrowed some notes from his girl in order to do it. And so she thought she should get a piece of the money once he got people to pay for this trip. Well, the first money came in, and they got in a fight and she ended up stabbing him right in his holster, if you know what I mean. So he stumbles out into the street all bleedin’, and that’s where the constables found him and told him you can’t be killin’ no lions. There’s a law about it, see, as they’re some kind of noble natural treasure, or some such.

“Anyway, they took Chip and stuffed him in jail, where they slammed the bars—by accident—on his rusting fingers. Broke his hand up right good, and he can’t bend the tips of his fingers no more.”

His drink arrived—a bottle of whiskey and a small cup. He took it, telling the waiter to charge Waxillium, then poured some and settled back.

“Is that the end?” Marasi asked.

“What?” Wayne said. “You want more to happen to the poor fellow? Right sadistic of you, Marasi. Right sadistic.”

“I didn’t mean…” She took a deep breath. “Did that have any relevance to the situation I’m in?”

“Not really,” Wayne said, taking a drink, then removing a little wooden box from his pocket and getting out a ball of gum. “But I tell ya, Chip, he has it really bad. Whenever I’m thinkin’ my life is miserable, I remember him, and tell myself, ‘Well, Wayne. At least you ain’t a broke, d*#kless feller what can’t even pick his own nose properly.’ And I feels better.”

It is one of my favorite scenes in all of Brandon's work 

Edited by Skip Hates Dragons

• 2 years later...

“Of course I am,” Wax said. “This is my second marriage. I’m an old hand at the practice by now.”
Wayne grinned. “Oh, is that how it works? ’Cuz in my experience, marryin’ is the one thing people seem to get worse at the more they do it. Well, that and bein’ alive.”

-
He grinned, then winked at her as the waiter finally stepped over.
“You wanted—” the waiter began.
“Liquor,” Wayne said.
“Would you care to be a little more specific, sir?”
“Lots of liquor.”
-
“Wax,” he complained, pointing, “the immortal bloke is being creepy again.”
-

“He can’t understand you, Wayne,” Marasi said, marching past. “He’s swapped metalminds to keep himself warm.”
Wayne stopped in place as they all hiked onward. “Well, when he gets his brain back, someone tell him I’m a god, all right?”
-

-

I couldn't choose one.

I love how Wayne has so many dirty jokes that are subtle enough to fly under the radar.

My favorite is probably in Bands of Mourning. In Chapter 12, he and Marasi meet up with the banker Mr. Eriola. Wayne sniggers at the name, which sounds similar to areola, the name for a part of the breast. Then, a few chapters later, Marasi makes a comment about how much she appreciated the banker's help, to which Wayne replies "Honestly, I thought he was a bit of a tit." On the surface, this sounds like it's just Wayne expressing his opinion on Mr. Eriola's uptight personality, but it's also more literal, since the areola is a part (bit) of a breast.

• 1 year later...

There are too many amazing Wayne quotes to choose one! My favorite is probably the long scene in Shadows of Self where he describes the "temple of the common man" or when he and Wax are trying to decide how to get into somewhere and exchanging strange names for things they do. "Rotten Tomato", etc. 

"Takes a real special type to be a proper criminal...You ain't that type. You see, in this conversation, I tricked you into confirming the name of the guy who recruited you and giving the location of your base."

Also, almost any non-verbal interaction:

When he is a constable thinking about if its the uncomfortable hats that make them so grumpy, when he is cheating at the game with Wax and the real game is Wax figuring out if he is cheating....

When he drops a water tower to stop Wax's wedding and elaborates to Marasi that Wax will just pay for everything and ask no questions.

Oh, AND... The part where he explains that Wax has marked bills in his wallet at all times:

"Wax just carries some marked bills... Just in case."

(The non-verbal is so much better)

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

"I need you to stay behind as we go into those slums," Wayne said, determined to impress solemnity into his voice. "It's not that I don't want your help. I do. It's just going to be too dangerous for you. You need to stay where I know you're safe. No arguments. I'm sorry."

"Wayne," Wax said, walking past. "Stop talking to your hat and get over here."

From child Wayne talking with his Ma:

“So Jak didn’t let that happen. He had to go into the canyon—but it was filled with snakes.”

“Bloody hell!”

“Wayne…”

“Regular old boring hell, then! How many snakes?”

“A million snakes.”

“Bloody hell!”