Mraize's branch

Calderis

6 hours ago, Argel said:

I thought we had a WoB that confirmed Mraize was from Roshar?

We have Word of Peter rather than Brandon, which via some hair-splitting around the wording could be argued to mean that the book makes it look like he's Thaylen even though he actually isn't. I don't think that's what Peter intended but Sharders will be Sharders. xD

On 6/22/2017 at 6:15 PM, Ardjet said:

Also, I've looked here and on Reddit, but I couldn't find mention of(quoting for ease): " 'That chunk of pale pink crystal looks like it might be...some kind of gemstone. But why is it so delicate?' Bits of it had flaked off in its case, as if simply setting it down had almost crushed it." I would love to know what that is.

As noted, this is almost certainly an Aether from the unpublished Aether of Night. We know that Brandon wanted to work them into the cosmere even though Aether is unpublished and we have Word of Peter that we've already seen references to them. Brandon tried working Aethers in with Liar of Partinel but he wasn't satisfied with the work and they probably won't appear in the final version now that Aether of Night is going to be revised and released eventually. But the sample chapters did have an Aether which was described as 'rose-colored crystal'. So we know the crystal in Mraize's collection looks like an Aether and as LoP isn't canon the reference to Aethers that Peter had in mind almost has to be this trophy.

On 6/23/2017 at 3:19 PM, Straw said:

Currently, we know too little about fain life to make any assumptions about its nature, so  we don't even know if it can even infect things anymore.

If we assume for purposes of argument that what Liar told us about fainlife is at least somewhat accurate, the branch itself is probably safe as long as nobody tries to eat it. It's skullmoss that spreads fainlife so as long as the branch is dead and was sterilized to kill any of the spores that might have been present when it was cut, it should be safe to keep around as a 'more awesome worldhopper than thou' trophy.

Which doesn't answer the question of how the hell he got his hands on such a thing...

• Chaos locked this topic