Mraize's branch

Calderis

Thanks to @Oversleep I was reminded of this WoB. 

[02:37:00]

Questioner: The cosmere treasure room had a white tree branch [???] the bones from Sel.

Brandon: It is not from Sel, it’s from Yolen.

I've had to questions about this that I have no idea how to answer and was hoping to prompt some discussion. 

1: if it's a bone white branch from Yolen, is Mraize's really bringing something fain to uninfected worlds? 

2: how in Damnation did Mraize get something off of Yolen when even Kriss can't find it?

The first is terrifying, and the second makes me really want to know who Mraize really is. 

Edited by Calderis

Yeah its pretty intriguing. Here's an idea. Mraize is a Yolish dragon.

Q: One race on Yolen are dragons with the ability to shift. Now I'm positivly sure  that we haven't seen a dragon in his "dragon form" yet.
A: Right.
Q: How about their human form? And would it be possible to actually recognize their human form?
A: You have very likely seen...yes, you have seen a letter from a dragon....There are some that are off world, so you might have seen them. I won't tell you for sure, but you would not recognize them.

Joking/not joking :o

Ooh. I just got to his trophy room in the audiobook. I didn't know about this WoB, but that's crazy it's from Yolen. I wonder if/what Yolen had regarding magic other than Fain and Yolish Lightweaving.

Also, I've looked here and on Reddit, but I couldn't find mention of(quoting for ease): " 'That chunk of pale pink crystal looks like it might be...some kind of gemstone. But why is it so delicate?' Bits of it had flaked off in its case, as if simply setting it down had almost crushed it." I would love to know what that is.

7 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Yeah its pretty intriguing. Here's an idea. Mraize is a Yolish dragon.

Joking/not joking :o

Um... That would definitely explain the branch... 

This is my head-canon til proven otherwise 

1 minute ago, Ardjet said:

Ooh. I just got to his trophy room in the audiobook. I didn't know about this WoB, but that's crazy it's from Yolen. I wonder if/what Yolen had regarding magic other than Fain and Yolish Lightweaving.

Also, I've looked here and on Reddit, but I couldn't find mention of(quoting for ease): " 'That chunk of pale pink crystal looks like it might be...some kind of gemstone. But why is it so delicate?' Bits of it had flaked off in its case, as if simply setting it down had almost crushed it." I would love to know what that is.

I thought that was Soulstone from Sel?

14 minutes ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

I thought that was Soulstone from Sel?

I think people had assumed she had misidentified the Selish item as a small tree branch instead of a bone, when in fact she had correctly identified it as a tree branch. To be fair though, Shallan does misidentify hemalurgic spikes as needles, so it's not an unreasonable assumption.

The pale pink crystal is most likely an Aether, not soulstone.

6 minutes ago, Ari said:

I think people had assumed she had misidentified the Selish item as a small tree branch instead of a bone, when in fact she had correctly identified it as a tree branch. To be fair though, Shallan does misidentify hemalurgic spikes as needles, so it's not an unreasonable assumption.

The pale pink crystal is most likely an Aether, not soulstone.

Well, those hairpins haven't been confirmed to be hemalurgic spikes at all. It's speculated by us sharders that they're spikes (and probably are, in my opinion), but for all we know, they could just be really special hairpins.

Also, none of the objects except the Yolish branch have been confirmed, I think. Which is kind of ironic, considering we don't even have a book from Yolen yet. At least, not a canon book.

1 minute ago, Silverblade5 said:

Why Mraize? Why not Iyatil? She's his Babsk after all.

Simply because we know she's not. She was born in Silverlight. The babsk thing could just be a ruse. I don't seriously think he's a dragon but he COULD be. She can't. 

Ardjet it's a reasonable point, but it also doesn't say the color and given we've been told the branch is from Yolen, fain life is a pretty good bet.

On my silly Mraize is a dragon theory, I should also note that Peter has said that it's "pretty clear in the book that Mraize is from Thaylenah", and Brandon has referred to Mraize visiting a few other planets heavily supervised by his babsk. They don't exactly rule it out, but it is more fun. But it is something I've been on the lookout for, someone who could be a dragon.

The big point is that the collection is completely extraordinary, it (probably) includes sand from Taldain, which has been inaccessible for a long time. It has an artefact from Yolen, which has definitely been 'inaccessible' for a long time. The others are likely to be hemalurgic spikes (hairpins), hair from a descendent of the first Returned (the royal family), a Tear of Edgli flower, an Aether (indeed this is commonly viewed to be the reason that we've been told aethers are canon). The silver knife I assume is related to Threnody and I've wondered if it's the one that Nazh gave Kelsier.

Given how extraordinary the collection is, if Mraize isn't a stormin' dragon, the collection must have been at least gathered by someone incredibly powerful or incredibly old (likely the latter). I've wondered about a Herald. Or someone influenced by a player like Kelsier. Or a collection of someone like Khriss that has been stolen. But irrespective of how useful it is, it shows that whoever has collected it is a serious Cosmere-player.

I disappear for a couple hours and the thread explodes. I agree the dragon idea is unlikely, but it's definitely fun.

The collection itself is impressive, even without an item from Yolen. Add that in and it's extraordinary. It's almost like they raided Hoid's home base. 

This post gave almost gave me a stroke, thanks guys. The Mraize thing has big implications that I never even thought of.  

But, let me get this straight, listing it out helps me organize my thoughts(feel free to point out if I'm just suffering symptoms from the aforementioned almost-stroke)

1. Vile of pale sand= Sand from either the Dayside or Darkside of Taldain. 

2. A thick pair of hairpins= Possible hemalurgic spikes.

3. A lock of golden hair= Possibly a lock of hair from someone with the Royal Locks, or a lock of hair from a lost love of Mraize. 

4. A silver knife= Maybe a knife from someone from Silverlight(I know, not very imaginative)

5. A branch of tree= From Yolen.

6. Odd flower= Possibly Tears of Edgli.  

7. Flakey stone= Possibly soulstone(distance could be a factor for flaking).

Edited by Kered

6 minutes ago, Kered said:

This post gave almost gave me a stroke, thanks guys. The Mraize thing has big implications that I never even thought of.  

But, let me get this straight, listing it out helps me organize my thoughts(feel free to point out if I'm just suffering symptoms from the aforementioned almost-stroke)

1. Vile of pale sand= Sand from either the Dayside or Darkside of Taldain. 

2. A thick pair of hairpins= Possible hemalurgic spikes.

3. A lock of golden hair= Possibly a lock of hair from someone with the Royal Locks, or a lock of hair from a lost love of Mraize. 

4. A silver knife= Maybe a knife from someone from Silverlight(I know, not very imaginative)

5. A branch of tree= From Yolen.

6. Odd flower= Tears of Edgli. 

7. Flakey stone= Possibly soulstone(distance could be a factor for flaking).

Has the flower been confirmed as one of the Tears? Because if the hair is some of the Royal Locks there's already something from Nalthis, perhaps the flower is Patji's Finger.

5 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

Has the flower been confirmed as one of the Tears? Because if the hair is some of the Royal Locks there's already something from Nalthis, perhaps the flower is Patji's Finger.

Honestly, I don't know. It seems to be agreed upon by the majority of Shard that the odd flowers are the Tears, but that's only from what I've seen. 

This is the only WoB I've found on the subject:

CHAOS

Is Edgli Endowment's real name?

BRANDON SANDERSON

RAFO, however the flowers are related to Endowment somehow...

10 minutes ago, Kered said:

Honestly, I don't know. It seems to be agreed upon by the majority of Shard that the odd flowers are the Tears, but that's only from what I've seen. 

This is the only WoB I've found on the subject:

CHAOS

Is Edgli Endowment's real name?

BRANDON SANDERSON

RAFO, however the flowers are related to Endowment somehow...

I'm fairly certain that it was confirmed in a book personalization that Edgli is Endowment. I'll check tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I'm fairly certain that it was confirmed in a book personalization that Edgli is Endowment. I'll check tomorrow.

I'm bad with the posting of WoB's. I'm just going to start tagging you so you can just drop knowledge bombs until you get annoyed lol. 

10 hours ago, Extesian said:

Ardjet it's a reasonable point, but it also doesn't say the color and given we've been told the branch is from Yolen, fain life is a pretty good bet.

On my silly Mraize is a dragon theory, I should also note that Peter has said that it's "pretty clear in the book that Mraize is from Thaylenah", and Brandon has referred to Mraize visiting a few other planets heavily supervised by his babsk. They don't exactly rule it out, but it is more fun. But it is something I've been on the lookout for, someone who could be a dragon.

The big point is that the collection is completely extraordinary, it (probably) includes sand from Taldain, which has been inaccessible for a long time. It has an artefact from Yolen, which has definitely been 'inaccessible' for a long time. The others are likely to be hemalurgic spikes (hairpins), hair from a descendent of the first Returned (the royal family), a Tear of Edgli flower, an Aether (indeed this is commonly viewed to be the reason that we've been told aethers are canon). The silver knife I assume is related to Threnody and I've wondered if it's the one that Nazh gave Kelsier.

Given how extraordinary the collection is, if Mraize isn't a stormin' dragon, the collection must have been at least gathered by someone incredibly powerful or incredibly old (likely the latter). I've wondered about a Herald. Or someone influenced by a player like Kelsier. Or a collection of someone like Khriss that has been stolen. But irrespective of how useful it is, it shows that whoever has collected it is a serious Cosmere-player.

If I were a Dragon on Roshar, I'd absolutely pick a local place to be from. ;) I'm not saying he IS a Dragon, but Mraize's apparent origin and Peter being vehement that it's evident in the text isn't the same as having a WoB he's actually Rosharan. And honestly, this would be a perfect question to RAFO just to act as a bit of a red herring, haha. Mraize bears watching anyway, so it's not like it particularly matters right now whether the theory has merit, because we'd be apt paying attention to him no matter where he's from or what species he is.

This is one of the downsides, again, to not having had Liar released: we have no idea how you'd spot a Dragon in disguise.

The flower could also be Mare flowers, while not as impressive as Edgli's Tears regarding its direct uses, they also have a lot of history behind them. 

My first impression of hearing the branch was from Yolen was to guess he might have gotten it, or bought it from descendants of the original Yolen imigrants. After all, isn't it relatively plausible to imagine there would be some Cosmere objects and souvenirs markets in Silverlight?

Then again Brandon is well known for going for the craziest most implausible, yet doable path of all. 

What impressions are there regarding Mraize's origin? As I admit I did not see even one, but I haven't read SotD, and SfSitFoH just once. 

@WhiteLeeopard Mraize, by all information we can actually confirm (with gaps filled via occam's razor) is a Thaylen man who, whether before or after joining the Ghostbloods, met Iyatil and learned to worldhop from her. 

Considering how little information we have though, and how plausible both shape-shifting and illusion are in the Cosmere... Occam's razor doesn't really bear much weight.