Application of Fabrial-Tech in a more modern era.

Calderis

2 hours ago, gbazz4 said:

Though we don't know what exactly Division does if it does something like blows stuff up couldn't you make a Fabrial that essentially was like a grenade and throw it into a group of enemies and blow them up (Since presumably a Dustbringer doesn't blow up then the Fabrial also could be designed where it doesn't blow up but built in a way that causes an explosion while not damaging the Fabrial and then it is reusable)?

Division splits molecular bonds. No atom splitting, so I presume no explosions either.

Concerning the Division Surge: it is about breaking molecular bonds. Splitting atoms/nuclei would be waaaay to powerful, as he actually explored it in Dragonsteel. That somehow slipped out accidentally (or at least it seemed like that to me).

2 hours ago, gbazz4 said:

It is hard to think of all the possibilities because we don't know much about many of the surges

Consider using the Surges we do know in the non Surge Fabrials we know (Diminisher, Attractor, Conjoiner, etc..) it's a whole new perspective

20 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Division splits molecular bonds. No atom splitting, so I presume no explosions either.

The reason i thought about explosions was from the description in the Prelude in WOK. "Smoke curled from the occasional patches of growth or heaps of burning corpses. Even some sections of rock smoldered. The Dustbringers had done their work well." Since abrasion is their other surge and that lets you get slick that led me to believe division causes some kind of burning/explosion. 

Are there other WOB on this? The link you sent me is someone's paraphrasing of what was said by Brandon at an event. Having a verbatim WOB would be like a primary source to use. I am more inclined to value in book descriptions for information to theorize about if there is no WOB verbatim.

I can imagine a Space Elevator, based on the platforms Navanni drew.  The counter balance from space being asteroid on interstellar goods going down the gravity well, to provide the force of lift passengers or other materials. 

We already see faster than light communications with Spanreeds, so I imagine written or textual space comms would be very simple, maybe be even automated to an auto draw thing to transmit pictures.  Or span reads acting like modems and then image tools pulling in the binary result for processing.

For transportation I see more a MagLev style thing but with Lift "slicking" the rails so its just air resistance for speed.  Alternating gravitation fabiral acting like polar switching magnets to provide the push.

Lightweaver movie theaters and "Public Announcements"

Single use or maybe multi-use precharged first aid kits that use progression.

Anyways just wild brain storming

5 minutes ago, gbazz4 said:

Are there other WOB on this? The link you sent me is someone's paraphrasing of what was said by Brandon at an event. Having a verbatim WOB would be like a primary source to use. I am more inclined to value in book descriptions for information to theorize about if there is no WOB verbatim.

Blame the search system on here not looking inside spoiler tags. From that same topic, page 1, first big spoiler tag (the Leipzig Signing Transcript)

Q: The Division Surge: does it actually split atoms or does it split the bonds of molecules?
A: It splits the bonds of molecules, it does not split atoms.
Q: That would be completely overpowered.
A: I have done an atom splitting magic originally in Dragonsteel. And wooow it was overpowered. So really, this is fiddling... You'll see what it does when I use it, but we'll not be splitting atoms. There won't be nuclear reactors, nuclear fission, so.

6 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Blame the search system on here not looking inside spoiler tags. From that same topic, page 1, first big spoiler tag (the Leipzig Signing Transcript)

Thank you that is very helpful. This makes me wonder exactly what this surge does? You are not doing nuclear bangs, but if you split the bonds of molecules what does that do that leads to smoldering rock and burning corpses? 

Just now, gbazz4 said:

Thank you that is very helpful. This makes me wonder exactly what this surge does? You are not doing nuclear bangs, but if you split the bonds of molecules what does that do that leads to smoldering rock and burning corpses? 

One thing we had used to describe what we thought Division was like a year ago(or more) was that your molecules coming apart would look like someone had dropped acid on you to the non-scientist. Something like that could definitely cause even rock to smolder, and would be effective against a Thunderclast(which was basically all the reason we needed to like the interpretation and consider asking Brandon about it)

And then there's Abrasion, which you mentioned earlier. Friction force could lead to burning.

8 minutes ago, gbazz4 said:

I'm guessing that abrasion can be used to increase friction as well as reduce it, to create heat. Mix this with splitting molecular bonds, and there are plenty of flammable gas molecules bound together in all kinds of substances.

Edit: and The One Who Connects ninja skills are in top form today. 

Edited by Calderis

For me, Division is pretty unsubtle and perfectly destructive. If you’re cutting molecular bonds you’re reducing water to hydrogen and oxygen, you’re reducing rock to (I dunno, silicon, oxygen, carbon, whatever else), you’re reducing a human being to carbon, hydrogen, oxygen etc. In other words, anything you use the power on is no longer that thing, it breaks down into its component atoms. I imagine the problem with it is the amount of investiture required.

Edit – and yeah, The One Who Smashes It is smashing it today. I think I’ve used up half my upvotes in half an hour of reading The One Who Reaps My Upvotes’ posts.

Edited by Extesian

• Chaos locked this topic