Does the Everstorm reach indoor parshmen?

Do parshmen/Parshendi need to be outside in the storm to transform into voidbringers, or would it reach them even if they were in an (intact) indoor structure? I can't help but think that in Edgedancer, when

Spoiler

Yeddaw drove out its parshmen when they saw the Everstorm coming,

might have been just the worse possible thing they could have done. And then there's poor Rlain. I think Urithiru* is above the regular highstorm, so maybe the Everstorm can't get there either- but that would still mean he'd have to stay in Urithiru almost full time to avoid turning into a monster. But if he can just stay indoors, and people figure out how to build backwards laits, then he could just make sure to hunker inside whenever it comes.

*(And am I the only one who keeps mentally pronouncing "Urithiru" as "Urethra"?)

It's a little more complicated than it first seems, but in most cases, being indoors should be enough 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1120#25

QUESTION

A dullform Listener is indoors when the Everstorm passes over, will they be transformed into a Voidform?

BRANDON SANDERSON

No. It depends on the strength of the boundary between them, but it is possible for them to...Being transformed, taking new forms, there is a measure of will behind it, meaning for instance, even when Eshonai took the new form, she had herself open to taking a new form. By the time she didn’t want to, it was too late. But she had made the decision, even though she’d been kind of misled in some ways. If a parshmen were even in the Everstorm, and aggressively didn't want this to happen, I'm not saying they won't, but there is room for discussion whether or not they would change there. But also one who DOES want to, and there's only a pane of glass and things like that, then yeah.

TAGS

parshendi ,  everstorm ,  voidform

They have to want to change somewhat. If they do, having them in a rickety shelter may not be enough. 

Yeah, Rlain is effectively protected because he's seen what the rest of the listeners have become and he doesn't want that so he should be safe even outdoors. For parshmen things aren't as cut and dry but if they're indoors they're probably less likely to change than outdoors; Kaladin's sample chapter from Oathbringer suggests that just being indoors isn't a determining factor, even if we didn't have the above WoB to also state it. But being indoors should help for the same reason that the listeners need to expose themselves to ordinary highstorms to change and the more 'indoors' the safer.

My interpretation of the crem and unbroken glass was that it was mostly above the highstorm- that the destructive heart of the storm passes beneath or around, but that maybe stray gusts fling the occasional crem splat up. After all those centuries of no one cleaning the windows, the mud would build up. That's just my theory, though.

Also they talk of recharging their spheres when the highstorm comes again.

Have they actually been in a storm in Urithiru at the time they say that, or are they just assuming that it will come normally like it does anywhere else?

Yeah, Rlain is effectively protected because he's seen what the rest of the listeners have become and he doesn't want that so he should be safe even outdoors.

That's a relief.

Edited by Necessary Eagle

I think, like with normal stormlight, it's just thickness - dependent. WoBs below are both from the leipzig signing

Q: I was wondering: Stormlight doesn't cross walls, because people put their spheres outside. But it crosses the glass of the spheres. Is that material dependent or...
A: It's thickness dependent. In the third book there's actually a little place where it's mentioned. Some people put it right inside a little, kind of thin rock portion and the Stormlight can still reach it. So I did that quite intentionally

Q: I'm guessing that for Chasmfiends the absorption of Stormlight must be different due to the thickness (...)
A: Good, well done

7 hours ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

I thought he was more protected even than full form since he already has a bond and would have to want to Change like Eshonai 

Rlain might also be bonded as a scribe of Kaladin . . . it seems that some of the lads was glowin. . .

Don't forget that most structures are not very well protected on their leeward sides. There is going to be a lot of structural damage occurring with most of the planet not taking precautions for this new storm. They may not be as sheltered as they could be normally.

26 minutes ago, nervousnerd said:

Don't forget that most structures are not very well protected on their leeward sides. There is going to be a lot of structural damage occurring with most of the planet not taking precautions for this new storm. They may not be as sheltered as they could be normally.

While I don't disagree totally, the Everstorm appears to be less forceful than the highstorm. So while there will definitely be structural damage, it shouldn't be as devastating as you would initially imagine. 

On 6/22/2017 at 2:40 PM, Calderis said:

While I don't disagree totally, the Everstorm appears to be less forceful than the highstorm. So while there will definitely be structural damage, it shouldn't be as devastating as you would initially imagine. 

It doesn't have a stormwall; I'm not sure we know how powerful it is yet though.

Spoiler

Kaladin definitely sees roofs ripped off when he gets back to Hearthstone. I suppose that could be from the unexpected highstorm.

People were also unprepared so that will likely add to the problems. Maybe people rich enough to afford parshmen should have houses that are fairly strong but it is also possible that they have a separate servant's quarters that may not be.

• Chaos locked this topic