The One Who Connects

Modern Society in AonDor

47 posts in this topic

That list will be useful if I ever get myself to start cracking at AonDor hacking. Or start hacking at cracking.

Programming anyway.

Edited by Oversleep
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

That list will be useful if I ever get myself to start cracking at AonDor hacking. Or start hacking at cracking.

Programming anyway.

Glad to be of help. I guess this means I haven't committed any major fouls in my assumptions about powers?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aon Kii is actually "Justice", not "Light, Illumination". And when drawn it causes the guilty to feel pain, not change color.

Edited by SilverTiger
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aon Are "Unity,Cohesion"

  • suppresses rioting or raises morale by causing everyone to join together towards a common goal.
  • reduces waste by repairing any and all broken objects.

Aon Eto: "Body, flesh, muscle"

  • Allows for increased success in surgeries.
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SilverTiger said:

Aon Kii is actually "Justice", not "Light, Illumination".

Well that was a mistype on my part. I'll fix that in a moment. Good eye

3 hours ago, SilverTiger said:

And when drawn it causes the guilty to feel pain, not change color.

But you've lost me here. What did I say to imply color changes?

1 hour ago, Nathrangking said:

Aon Eto: "Body, flesh, muscle"

  • Allows for increased success in surgeries.

I figured Eto was the fancy modifiers for Aon Ien healing, hadn't considered that it could be medically oriented on its own. I like that.

1 hour ago, Nathrangking said:

Aon Are "Unity,Cohesion"

  • suppresses rioting or raises morale by causing everyone to join together towards a common goal.
  • reduces waste by repairing any and all broken objects.

I figured bullet one was more the realm of Aon Omi, since it instills calm and removes negative emotions. The second one though... I don't know about this "removes waste" bit, but the rest kinda fits with how I've theorized the Surge of Cohesion works, so I like it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a combination of Aon Eto and Aon Shao for shape shifting amulets with a set of predefined shapes?

Aon Ire: "time"

  • If actually able of changing the flow of time, time stop areas to serve as storage spaces to prevent food from spoiling.

Aon Kaa: "plants"

  • Fertilizer.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A combo of Sao:"intelligence/ service", Seo: "Loyalty/service", and Shao :"transformation/change"

  • The solution to creating the perfect civil servant or general.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

A combo of Sao:"intelligence/ service", Seo: "Loyalty/service", and Shao :"transformation/change"

  • The solution to creating the perfect civil servant or general.

 

I wonder if that could perhaps lead to darker uses of Aon Seo.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this makes me wonder what the Dhakor can do, and if it's anything close to this. Brandon doesn't like creating characters with so few weaknesses, so I think he would either make Aons weaker, or make Dhakor really strong.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Farnsworth said:

All this makes me wonder what the Dhakor can do, and if it's anything close to this. Brandon doesn't like creating characters with so few weaknesses, so I think he would either make Aons weaker, or make Dhakor really strong.

Although Aons can be very versatile and powerful they take time to draw and have to be perfectly precise in order to work. Keep in mind Selish magics are basically programming reality in one way or another.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2017 at 5:21 PM, Farnsworth said:

All this makes me wonder what the Dakhor can do, and if it's anything close to this. Brandon doesn't like creating characters with so few weaknesses, so I think he would either make Aons weaker, or make Dakhor really strong.

There are several limiting factors. More than you'd imagine, since you aren't limited by one of them.

  • As Agent34 says, they are time consuming to draw out(can be negated by inscribing them on metal plates, but when the Aon setup to turn garbage into food would fill a room, this advantage is lessened)
  • As Agent34 says, you have to make the precise lines every time(negated with inscribed plates, but those plates aren't erasable. You'd have to draw up another one to try something different next time)
  • Sel itself is still limited by distance, making the Elantrian people powerful only near Elantris. They could conquer Arelon, but they aren't moving past it
  • And the last one is the one we all forget: Knowledge. We can imagine Aon Grenades because we have a base to work off of. They don't. The rapid response idea for police/fire rescue would work wonders in a city like Elendel, but Sel doesn't have cities like Elendel. Etc...
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

There are several limiting factors. More than you'd imagine, since you aren't limited by one of them.

  • As Agent34 says, they are time consuming to draw out(can be negated by inscribing them on metal plates, but when the Aon setup to turn garbage into food would fill a room, this advantage is lessened)
  • As Agent34 says, you have to make the precise lines every time(negated with inscribed plates, but those plates aren't erasable. You'd have to draw up another one to try something different next time)
  • Sel itself is still limited by distance, making the Elantrian people powerful only near Elantris. They could conquer Arelon, but they aren't moving past it
  • And the last one is the one we all forget: Knowledge. We can imagine Aon Grenades because we have a base to work off of. They don't. The rapid response idea for police/fire rescue would work wonders in a city like Elendel, but Sel doesn't have cities like Elendel. Etc...

Elantris and its suburbs might become the safest place in Arelon, though.  And with Raoden in charge, that rapid-response infrastructure might arise very quickly. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great I found it! So I’ll necro this. I had the thought that you could make Elantrian buttons (the pressing kind, not the shirt kind). Like, all the Aonic machinery is already scratched in, but the button serves as a thing that makes an essential dot in the Aon (only when an Elantrian presses it, and only when they’re intentionally using the button to access the Dor). That would make Elantrian tech activation simpler than the way I assume the normal way they used to do it. Unless by “activating the light plates by touching them” Galladon meant literally that—no Cognitive commands required.

The button thing would be most useful for weaponry, to deactivate the safety, etc. For other tech things, I think a kind of slider (like making the distance line for Aon Tia) for toggling power (like lights, stoves, hoses, etc.) would be the essential, use-every-time-you-need-the-Aonic-thing part of inscribed machinery.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2017 at 0:09 AM, The One Who Connects said:

Wind Power: If you can make air, you should be able to make wind. Then you utilize that wind with Windmills to produce power. More space efficient and reliable system than normal windmills.

 

On 11/7/2017 at 5:27 PM, Walin said:

Elantrian buttons (the pressing kind, not the shirt kind). Like, all the Aonic machinery is already scratched in, but the button serves as a thing that makes an essential dot in the Aon (only when an Elantrian presses it, and only when they’re intentionally using the button to access the Dor).

Maybe if you combine these two ideas with a gun you could make an on/off wind cannon! I can't think of any real use for this but it could be cool. (like a certain flamethrower idea I can mention)

Edited by Szeth-2son-Vallano
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Szeth-2son-Vallano said:

Maybe if you combine these two ideas with a gun you could make an on/off wind cannon! I can't think of any real use for this but it could be cool. (like a certain flamethrower idea I can mention)

Hi Ethan, I've been stalking you.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Szeth-2son-Vallano said:

Maybe if you combine these two ideas with a gun you could make an on/off wind cannon!

I don't see why not. It's functionally little different than reconfiguring a garden hose into a water cannon.

4 hours ago, Szeth-2son-Vallano said:

I can't think of any real use for this but it could be cool.

Ventilation Systems(because I was stupid when I made the original post). Ventilation is done via moving air. Wind is moving air. I should've made that connection months ago.

Come to think of it, we have small pressurized air canisters(to blow dust out of computer parts/etc..) here on earth. So there's another potential usage, and it gets rid of the "pressurized" danger, which is another plus.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

because I was stupid

YOU SIR ARE NOT STUPID YOU ARE A GENIUS! Anyways thanks for finding a good use for my idea other than a fantastical weapon.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2017 at 4:09 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Aon Daa: "power, energy"

  • Short Range RPG: Daa projectiles are essentially dumb-fire, so long range isn't as viable.
  • "Missile" Emplacements(fixed/mobile): Heavy assumption that you can apply speed modifiers to the launched Daa projectile. They would essentially be a point and click cannon.
  • "Ammo": This could potentially replace ammunition in any destructive weaponry. It does magic damage, it's unlimited, it doesn't jam, etc..

 

Why short-range? Why not use it in conjunction with other Aons, like they were designed for, to target a specific location? And if a specific location, why not track a moving object.. And target that specific location? It seems like using Ien and Nae combined with, perhaps, Ene could make a very sophisticated Aonic targeting system and then have a button-press to activate a burst of Daa combined with Tia to send a sharp burst of Power to the location specified by Nae.. Of course, this all would be highly complicated.. Yet if a society can mechanize the basic magic system, it seems that the people who once exclusively used it could afford to spend a few weeks on each new project.

Aon Ene: "wit, cleverness"

Aon Ien: "wisdom"

Aon Nae: "sight, clarity"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, recneps said:

Why short-range? Why not use it in conjunction with other Aons, like they were designed for, to target a specific location? And if a specific location, why not track a moving object.. And target that specific location? It seems like using Ien and Nae combined with, perhaps, Ene could make a very sophisticated Aonic targeting system and then have a button-press to activate a burst of Daa combined with Tia to send a sharp burst of Power to the location specified by Nae.. Of course, this all would be highly complicated.. Yet if a society can mechanize the basic magic system, it seems that the people who once exclusively used it could afford to spend a few weeks on each new project.

Aon Ene: "wit, cleverness"

Aon Ien: "wisdom"

Aon Nae: "sight, clarity"

Ien's AonDor effect is healing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, recneps said:

Why short-range? Why not use it in conjunction with other Aons, like they were designed for, to target a specific location? And if a specific location, why not track a moving object.. And target that specific location? It seems like using Ien and Nae combined with, perhaps, Ene could make a very sophisticated Aonic targeting system and then have a button-press to activate a burst of Daa combined with Tia to send a sharp burst of Power to the location specified by Nae.. Of course, this all would be highly complicated.. Yet if a society can mechanize the basic magic system, it seems that the people who once exclusively used it could afford to spend a few weeks on each new project.

Aon Ene: "wit, cleverness"
Aon Ien: "wisdom"
Aon Nae: "sight, clarity"

Ene: Emits a light that enhances mental capacities, Linking Aon to control the timing of activating Aon Chains
Ien: Healing (as Agent34 mentioned)
Nae: functionally a magnifying glass

None of these are actually that helpful for what you are thinking of. Ien is healing, which is irrelevant. Nae is a magnifying glass, and doesn't appear to target or specify anything. In it's base form, it requires an Elantrian to move it around(granted, you'd have to move it if you put it in a scope too, so..) Ene is the only one that has potential, but that'd be in the timing department, where it would probably end up anyway.

Targeting a specific location was never out of the question. Aon Daa is essentially a dumb fire grenade/rocket that doesn't fall to gravity. If the target doesn't move, then as long as you aim it correctly, it will hit the target. The problem with dumb fire is that as you aim further away, there is more opportunities for something to cross it's path and end it early. That's why the missile emplacement runs under the assumption that you can enhance it with speed modifiers, and why the RPG idea was short-range.

The problem with tracking a moving target is that it's still dumb fire at the end of the day. We don't presently know of any Aons that could change that, it if is even changeable. And that doesn't even delve into how it would target this object. First, you'd need an Aon that detects things(it stands to reason that there is one), and then you'd have to do... extensive coding(and/or have an Elantrian constantly on standby). You can't just have the code detect and target "anything that moves" for obvious reasons, so you'd need to add specificity.

Aon Ien needs modifiers(probably Aon Eto) to target specific parts of the body to maximize it's effectiveness, and I'm pretty sure our detector Aon would need to do the same. The code to do so can be done one of two ways: target anything that is part of the list, or target anything that is not part of the list. The first option requires you to know/remember everything the enemy has at their disposal, and falls apart the moment the enemy creates something new, which would require rewriting the code to include it. The second option avoids this issue entirely, but runs the risk of not being specific enough, and needing someone on hand to manually specify on a case by case basis. If we were running a missile turret, then that'd probably be fine. But this is an RPG, and you're in the field.

As for the Aon Tia idea, that was never gonna work. It's a fixed point that you teleport to: This distance in that direction. It's no different from leading your shot the normal way, just with a shorter lead time. But you'd have to specify the exact location that the target will be at when you fire, which requires much more effort on your part than manually leading your shot.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aon Daa could make a small zone that boosts the power of other Aons. Shao could make an "Aon factory" which could produce metal Daa power boosting plates. Ien/Ene and Daa factory = infinite intelligence. Ire = super Taravaugians? Edo + Daa booster zone makes unbreakable armour. Omi and Daa make mind control. Daa makes everything ridiculous.

Edited by TheYoungPyromancer
spelling
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

Aon Daa could make a small zone that boosts the power of other Aons. Shao could make an "Aon factory" which could produce metal Daa power boosting plates. Ien/Ene and Daa factory = infinite intelligence. Ire = super Taravaugians? Edo + Daa booster zone makes unbreakable armour. Omi and Daa make mind control. Daa makes everything ridiculous.

Aon Daa has only been used as an attack Aon. Where'd you get power enhancement from?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Agent34 said:

Aon Daa has only been used as an attack Aon. Where'd you get power enhancement from?

He's going off the "definitions." He made the same "Ien = wisdom" mistake Recneps made on Thursday.

The words that Aon Daa represent are "power, energy." It's a reasonable enough assumption to make, and it's essentially the one that I made about Aon Rao(except I have the Ars Arcanum backing me up)

10 hours ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

1. Aon Daa could make a small zone that boosts the power of other Aons.
2. Shao could make an "Aon factory" which could produce metal Daa power boosting plates.
3. Ien/Ene and Daa factory = infinite intelligence.
4. Ire = super Taravaugians?
5. Edo + Daa booster zone makes unbreakable armour.
6. Omi and Daa make mind control.

1. Maybe not. Aon Rao though... "In AonDor, Aon Rao serves as a power amplifier."
2. Sort-of. You could use a plate inscribed with Shao & specific modifiers so you could mass-produce plates, but I'm not certain you could use an Aon to inscribe an Aon onto something.
3. At present, Ien is healing. Aon Ene though... you aren't gonna be hitting Taravangian level, but you could probably get close to a Zinc Compounder.
4. Ire is "time, age." I'm not seeing the Taravangian connection here.
5. Unless you've got a magical method, Edo is already unbreakable. It draws power from the Dor to match whatever physical force it's up against. (You raise a valid question, albeit unintentionally. What would a stronger Edo shield do, if it's already unbreakable?)
6. No. "Boosting the Power of" is not the same as "Change the Ability of." Mistborn Spoilers:

Spoiler

Omi removes negative emotions, so it's basically Soothing. A Metallic Arts version of a power boost would be Duralumin.
We've had a Duralumin boosted Soothing on someone, and while Straff was heavily numbed by the experience, he was not controlled.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.