It’s the year 342, and the discontentment of the people at the injustice of Elendel is barely seething below the surface. As chaos errupts around the Basin, with the growing food shortages in the outer areas of the basin going unanswered by the government, now is the time to act!

In Bilming, the largest port city, and home to many a university, you have made your home, and now you are fighting to keep it that way. Led by students inspired by Lord Elend and his fellows, supplies have been stockpiled, with plenty of guns and ammunition to go around. When the signal came, you rushed to do your part in setting up a barricade in a carefully chosen location. Now you make a stand as you wait for the people to rise up with you and overthrow the upper crust that doesn’t care at all for the working class.

Welcome to L35: Miserables. Being unwilling to miss the opportunity to make that pun, here we have a game inspired by Les Miserables, set on Scadrial, in the Elendel Basin, around the time of the riots and chaos of Shadows of Self. But before you go any further, there's something from Doc, my Co-GM, to read. Be sure to check it out. There'll be a quiz later. It's also the shape of things to come.

Spoiler

THE DEAD OF SE
Look down, and see, this miserable game
Look down, and show, some mercy if you can 
Look down, look down, on all those who might play
Look down, look down, upon the poor GMs

HAELBARDE
How do you do, my name’s Haelbarde, 
Here's my epic game of songs!
Doc's my co-GM, he wrote this 
Privately? It’s not up to scratch  (DOC: hey!)
So here are the grounds, your new arena- 
Do you hear the people sing?
Singing of love, of lies, of tragedy
This won’t end well, but what the hell
Feeling lucky? Feeling bored?
Play this game, play this game!!

THE DEAD 
Look down, and show, some mercy if you can
Look down, look down, upon your poor GMs

CITIZENS
When’s it gonna end? Who’s gonna survive?
Players will come pouring in
Most of them will die
You will die, you will die, you will die
You will sing, you will sing, you will sing

DOC
Where are the players in the game? 
Our entertainment for this show?

HAEL
Only sign up, and it’ll be you!
Join in our chorus here below!

CITIZENS
See our enemies dead
Help us win this game
They’re giving us free parodies!
Join our chorus now
We will play, we will play, we will play, we will play!

HAEL
Signups go well, they’ll fill up fast.
A week’s enough, so I say

DOC 
With all the singing in the land
It’s not too long before judgement day 
Before our taste for blood is sated
Before the songs of grief arise!

DOC
Watch out for RP, it’ll be great
It’s a bit whimsical, this request
Try to sing ‘least once a cycle
It’ll be fun and no mistake!
It’s not something that’s compulsory
But let’s all each do our share
Other than that, you know your way about
All we need, is you to join 
Don’t have time? We don’t care
Play this game
PLAY THIS GAME

ALL
Look down, and see, this game of blood and song
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man…

The Rules:
The Friends of the ABC are manning the barricade to oppose a corrupt government. It’s the job of the Constabulary to end this riot by any means necessary. While they are able to keep the Friends pinned down, they don’t have the numbers to overwhelm them. So instead they have to rely on Infiltrators who have joined the ranks of the Friends to sabotage their efforts from the inside. As long as there are infiltrators in their midst, the Friends cannot hope to hold the barricade.

Each cycle will be 96 hours, broken up into 48 hour ‘day/night’ turns. Note that flavour wise, this will be more like 6 hour blocks of time so that 4 full cycles will be a day of in game time. 

During ‘day’ turns, everyone may place a single vote on someone to lynch. The player with the most votes is killed. In the case of a tie, one of the tied players will be chosen at random. Votes are placed in red, and retracted in green. If you place multiple votes, only the earliest vote will be counted. Don't go back to older posts and edit in retractions - if you need to vote then retract, do so in the same post, otherwise post the retraction in a new post.

During ‘night’ turns, the Infiltrators get to attempt a kill on one player.

The game will be starting on a day turn.

Roles

Spoiler

There are two types of roles in this game - standard and thematic.
Standard roles can be had by either team, whereas thematic roles are specific roles that work with each other, and make reference to characters from the Les Miserables musical.

Standard Roles:
The following roles all start the game with a randomized number of charges.
Tineye (Day) - You may spend a charge of Tin to allow all players to PM during the night cycle.
Soother (Day) - You may spend a charge of Brass to cancel a vote.
Rioter (Day) - You may spend a charge of Zinc to change a vote. 
Smoker (Both) - You may spend a charge of Copper to protect yourself from Rioters or Soothers, and yourself and one other from detection by Seekers.
Seeker (Both) - You may spend a charge to Bronze to find out what metal a player is burning. If your target was protected by Copper, they appear as if they didn’t burn a metal.
Thug (Both) - You may spend a charge of Pewter to survive an attack this cycle. By default, all charges will be used to protect from a lynch (this can optionally be turned off at the request of the player).

Thematic Roles:
Village
Pauper Noble (Village) - Part of a smaller noble family, you’ve broken contact with your family over political differences. Refusing to receive any gifts of money from your family, you’ve put yourself through your education with what money you can scrounge up, or with the help of the friends you made in the Friends of the ABC. Now you fight as one of the leaders in this uprising, willing to die for your cause.

• Has one of the standard roles.
  • If found by the Convict’s Ward, or if targets them, changes to Pauper Noble (Neutral).
  • If survives an attack due to the Thief's Child, becomes Lovers with them (you die if they die, and get a permanent PM with them).

Scavenger - Having lived on the streets for all your life, you’ve got well accustomed to avoiding sight when necessary, and finding things. Having joined this fight for the rights of the lower class, you risk your life to scrounge up some extra resources for the fight.

• During the ‘night’ turn you can attempt to recover some Steel for the Ringleader. This comes with a chance of dying. The success rate starts at 100%, and drops by 33% each time (so at most 3 charges may be recovered over the game). If you die, no Steel is recovered on that turn. If the Ringleader has not used a charge, the recovered Steel is wasted.

Ringleader - One of the leaders of the Friends of the ABC, you happen to be the only Coinshot at the barricade for the time being, and you’ve already burnt through your reserves. If you can get some, you might just use it to mete out some justice if you happen to find someone sabotaging your barricade. 

• Whenever Steel is recovered by the Scavenger, you may use it to make a kill during the ‘night’ turn. You can only hold one charge at a time.

Neutral 
Parole Officer - 14 years ago, a prisoner who was out on parole from the labour gangs failed to check in at the appointed time, and has been running ever since. You almost caught them 8 years ago, but they slipped your grasp. You had just found their trail again when riots broke out, and they decided to fight at the barricade. You’ve infiltrated the barricade to try and finally catch this criminal.

• You win if your target is lynched and you took part. If your target is killed instead, you instead win if you get lynched - you get to kill one of the players that votes on you. You know the identity of your target.

Escaped Convict - 8 years ago you made a promise to protect someone. That someone has run into the middle of a dangerous riot, blinded by love. You’ve followed them so that you can make sure they make it out alive, at the expense of your own life, if need be.

• You win if you survive or if your Ward survives.
  • You know the identity of your Ward. If they are attacked, you stop the attack but are injured as a result - you cannot vote for the next two cycles. This is ability is passive, and can only happen once. If your Ward becomes Lovers with the Pauper Noble, this ability is automatically extended to protect them as well.
  • You are the target of the Parole Officer. Your votes don’t work on them. You do not know their identity.

Convict’s Ward - You saw them once, then they were gone. Can people really fall in love so soon? Could they have known that moment was your destiny? You have come to the barricade searching for this phantom you passed in the street. You’d never forgive yourself if you didn’t even try to find them.

• Your win condition is to find the Pauper Noble. Each turn you may scan a player searching for the Pauper Noble. If you find the Pauper Noble (scan them, be targeted by them, or they die), your win condition become to survive the game.
    • If you find the Pauper Noble before they die, you become lovers with them (you die if they die, and get a permanent PM with them).

Pauper Noble (Neutral) - Struck to the bone in a moment of breathless delight, your world changed in just one burst of light. What was right seems wrong, and was wrong seems right. You’ve found the love of your life, and you would die if anything were to happen to them.

• You win if you survive.
  • You become Lovers with the Convict's Ward (you die if they die, and get a permanent PM with them).
  • You lose your previous ability and alignment.

Thief's Child - At night, as you live inside your head, you walk with them till morning, happy with the company you're keeping. But they've never seen you there. As they go to fight at the barricade, you follow along, hoping to win their affection, or die trying.

• You win if you survive or if the Pauper Noble survives
  • You are a Lurcher. Each night, you may spend a charge of Iron to block an attack on your target.
  • If you save the Pauper Noble from an attack, you become Lovers with them you die if they die, and get a permanent PM with them).

Thief - You never know your luck when there's a free-for-all. Here a little tip, there a little touch. Most of them are goners, so they won't miss much! You've not come to the barricade for glory. It's a world where the dogs eat the dogs, you're out to get a profit, and it's easy to steal from a corpse.

• You win if you survive and stole at least 4 unique metals over the course of the game.
  • Each night cycle, you may target a player and attempt to steal something from them. If they have an allomantic metal, you will steal one charge from them. You can only steal from a player once.

The game will start in a week. Once I've worked out what will work best to start the game (next Saturday is a bit messy for me), and the best times for my Co-GM, I'll edit in a countdown, and give a final rollover time.

One last thing to note - I have a couple more ideas for thematic roles that I may also include in the game. I will make a further post about these later if I decided to include them.

Quick Links:

Player List

1. Jay (The Flash) - has at least two steelminds - a ring, and a helmet
  2. Name Name (Straw) - has a name
  3. Albin Brodeur (Jondesu) - Skaa Crew Member
  4. Siv (Cloudjumper) - has unrealistic expectations
  5. Luigi (Shqueeves) - roots for the underdog
  6. Edmond Dantès (asterion137) - is seeking revenge for a wrongful imprisonment
  7. Carcer (Paranoid King) - is all for rebelion
  8. Dariend Castel (StrikerEZ) - walks a dark path
  9. Roger Elariel (Elenion) - is not the Pauper Noble
  10. Alonine (BrightnessRadiant) - is probably not the real Eponine
  11. Alrin (Arinian)
  12. Aimes (Araris Valerian) - in above his head, wants to fade away
  13. Bartolomeus Teki (randuir) - is slightly suspici...
  14. Darius Castel (Ecthelion III) - is self-centered, with a brother
  15. Keera Wilde (little Wilson) - fights for the right to be free!
  16. Siena Mattel (Seonid) - is running away from love
  17. Lukas Fehrweight (Drake Marshall)
  18. Altea Meza (Crimsn-Wolf) - here because she was told to
  19. Jack (A Joe in the Bush)
  20. Dandi (_Stick_)
  21. Kliff (TheMightyLopen) - roped into manning the barricade, possibly by a cousin?
  22. Garshin (Yitzi2) - thinks he's in Elendel when he really isn't...
  23. Rorik (Dalinar Kholin)
  24. Mykal (Amanuensis) - is a missionary of the path
  25. Phil (STINK) - is simply Phil
  26. Julie (Arraenae)
  27. Locke Tekiel (OrlokTsubodai)
  28. Suterna (Elbereth)

blu_1498287600.png

Edited by Haelbarde

Fine, I'll sign up. Just a note, next Wednesday I head to an all-day clinic for 3 weeks, so I'll probably only get on in the evenings, maybe mornings sometimes. The weekends will be free, so I'll probably be able to be active the first cycle, but I'll be less active after that.

Oh yeah, character. I'll be a Skaa Crew Member caught up in the noble (heh) cause. Albin Brodeur at your service (he made up the surname).

Edited by Jondesu

Probably won't join as I don't care much for LGs, but it looks interesting enough to spectate.

And out of curiosity, how long did you wait to start this game just so you could get the L35?

Also never actually read Les Miserables, so you can all rant about it to me now.

Just now, Bridge Boy said:

Probably won't join as I don't care much for LGs, but it looks interesting enough to spectate.

And out of curiosity, how long did you wait to start this game just so you could get the L35?

Also never actually read Les Miserables, so you can all rant about it to me now.

It's ok if you don't read it. But I would HIGHLY recommend seeing the show. A good production. 

I've heard it's amazing and I'm sure it is, but the book is a giant brick. As in, bigger than WoK or WoR sized brick.

Also I've heard the first 15 chapters are description for a priest and his house.

So definitely on my reading list as I have the book, but it'll take a while for me to really get to it.

On a side note, PK read the whole thing in about a week.

I'll join as Edmond Dantès. He was wrongfully imprisoned by the elendel constabulary after being framed by four people from bilming and has arrived at the barricade to hunt them down and exact his revenge

Edited by asterion137
rp

1 minute ago, Bridge Boy said:

I've heard it's amazing and I'm sure it is, but the book is a giant brick. As in, bigger than WoK or WoR sized brick.

Also I've heard the first 15 chapters are description for a priest and his house.

So definitely on my reading list as I have the book, but it'll take a while for me to really get to it.

So have I. It took me about 5 days of inconsistent reading. Marvel at my amazing talent for reading. I've read WoK in a day or so. Mind you that's pretty much the only talent I've been developing all my life so lol. 

BWAHAHA! L35 miserables! I'd completely forgotten about it!

Signing up as Carcer, completely innocent of anything you think he might have done. He's very friendly, except for when he's not, and he disagrees with the statement that you can't take the law into your own hands. He's a dab hand with a knife, and you should never trust him around a bottle of ginger beer.

Oh, and he's "all for" the rebellion.

I'm signing up. I haven't read/seen Les Miserables, but this looks really fun!

Dariend Castel, a poor boy that took a dark path to save someone he loved, but now it's too late for him to turn back. He'd do anything to protect his loved ones, even if it means he'd never see them again.

I haven't read Les Mis (or even seen the play), but this looks like it's going to be a blast. Sign me up as Roger Elariel, the rebellious son of a nobleman who joined the political activism scene as a young university student. Now he's at the barricade, fighting against his father and all that he stands for.

3 minutes ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

Quick question before I read the rules...are there spoilers for Mistborn in here? I'm only on the well of ascension.

There are some spoilers, but I can't remember right now where they fall in the series. Just finish the books tonight. :P

13 hours ago, Straw said:

Darn it Flash! I wanted to be first! Whatever, I'll play as Name Name.

He is the fastest man alive, so I'm not sure what you were expecting to happen... :P

12 hours ago, Bridge Boy said:

I forget when exactly I put my name on the list, but I think it was about a year.

12 hours ago, Bridge Boy said:

12 hours ago, The Flash said:

So have I. It took me about 5 days of inconsistent reading. Marvel at my amazing talent for reading. I've read WoK in a day or so. Mind you that's pretty much the only talent I've been developing all my life so lol. 

You guys are doing better than me - I found it hard to engage with the 15 chapters of priest description stuff. I'm more familiar with just the musical (mostly the Original London Cast recording, though I got to see it in London in January, which was really cool!). I should probably get to the book at some point....

2 hours ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

Quick question before I read the rules...are there spoilers for Mistborn in here? I'm only on the well of ascension.

Probably, at least partially anyway. It's set during Shadows of Self (Mistborn 5), though I wouldn't say we're dealing with any major plot stuff from any of the books. Stuff from the end of Book 3 might get indirectly spoiled I guess, and some of the general setting stuff for the Era 2 stuff. But the important plot details from Books 4 and 5 shouldn't be touched on at all. Edit: This is in general. As far as the rules themselves, the only bit that would spoil anything is the opening two paragraphs of RP, which give the setting info from Books 4 and 5. The rules otherwise don't spoil Mistborn. They may potentially spoil bits of Les Mis though.

Edited by Haelbarde

2 minutes ago, Haelbarde said:

Probably, at least partially anyway. It's set during Shadows of Self (Mistborn 5), though I wouldn't say we're dealing with any major plot stuff from any of the books. Stuff from the end of Book 3 might get indirectly spoiled I guess, and some of the general setting stuff for the Era 2 stuff. But the important plot details from Books 4 and 5 shouldn't be touched on at all. Edit: This is in general. As far as the rules themselves, the only bit that would spoil anything is the opening two paragraphs of RP, which give the setting info from Books 4 and 5. The rules otherwise don't spoil Mistborn. They may potentially spoil bits of Les Mis though.

Thanks! *throws caution to the wind and signs up anyways :PI'm signing up as Alonine (totally not a mashup of Allomancer and Eponine lol) Some fun unrequited love/love from afar RP possibilities. She may even be fickle, and be in love with different players off and on, just to make the RP more fun lol. (For those of you who don't know who Eponine is, she's a character in Les Miserables who's love is unrequited.) 

@Haelbarde I HAVE seen Les Miserables, so I'm fine where that's concerned. I have a great respect for someone who would wait this long just to run their game under the L35 Miserables title! hahaha ;)

Side note: does anyone else see Javert, from Les Mis, as Nale from Stormlight? hehe (chase someone for their whole life just because they stole bread) :lol: (sounds like Nale and Lift to me lol)

VOILA

'TIS I!!

THE DOC HAS RETURNED TO SE!!!

TO THOSE WHO HAVE MISSED HIM, THE ADORING MASSES, THE CHEERS!

*blinks

Where are the cheers?

Heh. So yes. I'm back, for a short while, to help Hael with this game. I fell in love with Les Mis over the past few months, and practically begged Hael to let me help him with the parodies :P 

So yes, expect a lot[i/] of parodies over the next few cycles, and I hope you guys do your part to at least drop some verses! I don't expect you all to be familiar with Les Mis, the musical, but any song would do in any style. We can't offer a reward system like Aman's games, but really, it would be lots of fun to do, and a great game for all, yeah?

And to close off, here's an extra parody from me!

Master of the Game, doling out the pain
Ready with PAFO cards to drive you insane!
Offers parodies! Writeups galore!
Spectators appreciate a little gore!

Glad to do my victim friends a favor
Doesn't cost me to be nice!
But nothing gets you nothing
Everything has got a little...price! (Hint hint, upvotes!)

Master of the Game, keeper of the zoo
Ready to relieve 'em of a good night’s sleep!
Ready with the hints, keep em in suspense!
A little teasing smirk to keep ‘em nice and tense!
Everybody loves a GM!
Everybody's bosom friend
I do whatever pleases!
Ruin! Won't I bleed 'em in the end! (of upvotes!)
(And while, life. And time. And sanity.) (But upvotes)

*cackles and vanishes

Edited by Doc12

6 hours ago, Doc12 said:

VOILA

'TIS I!!

*blinks

Where are the cheers?

Heh. So yes. I'm back, for a short while, to help Hael with this game. I fell in love with Les Mis over the past few months, and practically begged Hael to let me help him with the parodies :P 

So yes, expect a lot[i/] of parodies over the next few cycles, and I hope you guys do your part to at least drop some verses! I don't expect you all to be familiar with Les Mis, the musical, but any song would do in any style. We can't offer a reward system like Aman's games, but really, it would be lots of fun to do, and a great game for all, yeah?

Everybody loves a GM!
Everybody's bosom friend
I do whatever pleases!

*cackles and vanishes

I am totally joining you in those parodies. I'm vaguely hoping to make all my RP in les mis verse.

10 hours ago, Doc12 said:

VOILA

'TIS I!!

*blinks

Where are the cheers?

Everybody loves a GM!
Everybody's bosom friend
I do whatever pleases!

*cackles and vanishes

As the great and beloved Doc made his appearance, an adoring mass of people rushed to surround him. Some of them held signs proclaiming their love. Some of them reached out to hand various gifts of statues of the twelth doctor, torches burning brightly, and artwork of lone wolves. And some simply stretched open their arms and hugged him.

Soon, the crowd started chanting.

"tt11532362fltt.gif"

Once he finished his speech and song, the crowd showered Doc with little slips of orange papers with white arrows on them. Then they mobbed him with a series of hugs again. (If he was squirming a little, they didn't notice. They just hugged him even tighter.)

Doc was back. The bloodshed would begin soon. All was right in the world.

Edited by Arraenae

I think... I will sign up as Alrin. But there high chance that I can drop from game atleast on couple days... so I'm not sure.  Sign up for now... later I will decide.

13 hours ago, Doc12 said:

VOILA

'TIS I!!

*blinks

Where are the cheers?

"Cheers"

Nice to see you again doc :D 

Now I can kill Doc and get my vengeance.  Hooray!