Quick Fix Game 24: Eliminating Elysium

Sart

Eliminating Elysium

First off, there are massive spoilers for Defending Elysium, a short story Brandon wrote, in this game. Thankfully, the story is free to read on Brandon's website. Here's a link to it. Now then, on to the game itself.

Chaos has erupted in the Outer Platforms after it has been revealed that rogue aliens have been impersonating humans in an attempt to gain superior weaponry. Unfortunately for the visitors to Jupiter Platform 19, their missile station has just been infiltrated. The bunker has been cut off from the outside. If the aliens gain control of the missiles, who knows what chaos they might cause.

Cytonics:

The ability to sense other minds is present in all intelligent lifeforms. During the night cycle, a player can protect himself from the actions of another player. If that player tries to use an action on the protected party, it will not happen, and the other player will be immediately killed. Cytonics does not count as an action, so Cytonics cannot block other Cytonics.

For example, Tom, a normal human, sends in his night action to protect himself from Steve. Steve tries to investigate Tom during the night. It will backfire hilariously, and Tom will kill Steve instead. Oops. Or Tom could protect against Bob, an alien. If Bob tries to attack Tom, Bob dies instead. Yay.

Roles:

• Firebrand: You can rile up the crowd, and make people look worse than they actually are. Each night, instead of using Cytonics, you can place a secret vote on a target player.
  • Soldier: You won't go down without a fight. Well, as long as the aliens don't kill you with their mind. If you are lynched, and the person you guarded against voted for you, then you will automatically kill that player as you die.
  • Politician: You know how to judge a crowd, and can figure out who is suspicious of you. Each night, instead of using Cytonics, you can detect who guarded against you.
  • Cyto Adept: You're a quick learner, and have figured out how to guard against multiple people. You can target two players with your Cytonic powers.
  • UIB Agent: You suspected that the Phone Company had infiltrated the base. You didn't expect to find aliens here too. Instead of using Cytonics, you can target one player during the night to learn that player's role.
  • Phone Company Operator: You realized that this was a prime target for the aliens, and teleported here as fast as possible. You can target two players with your Cytonic powers. Furthermore, instead of using Cytonics, you can kill a target player.
  • Alien: You swapped minds with a human, and now look just like one of them. You have a Google Doc to conspire in, and you have a group kill.

Quick Links:

Heh, this seems fun.

I'll join as Nathaniel Southeast, a poor guy who won the galactic lottery, then subsequently lost most of the money in a bet and now works as a scientist. 

Dont ask how, just go with it.

Oh, a question about Cytonics:

Can everyone use it, regardless of role (except that one role)? Also, is it a more than one-time use? Oh, and do the Aliens have any of the other roles, or are they just aliens?

I'll join as Plato Andersen. He's a scrawny fellow, better with Cytonics than most because he has to be to make up for his lack of brawn. He left his homeworld after the woman he loved rejected him for another man, and the other man subsequently ended up in a spaceship accident. Although Andersen didn't actually have anything to do with it, rampant suspicion and prejudice forced him to find work on an outer platform. His life's work is to prove his innocence, but there are few ways to fight public opinion.

Hopefully I'll have time to write some in-character RP this game!

Right, signing up as Tom Kress for this one. He was a pro-alien lobyist, but had to leave his political career after the news of aliens infiltrating human society broke and his motivations suddenly be came the subject of suspicion. He is, however, convinced that this is nothing more than a slanderous story made up by xenophobic activists, and intends to prove this.

edit: @Sart, how long are the cycles, and are PM's allowed?

edit2: if someone is killed by hitting a cytonic defense, is it revealed who was the defender?

Edited by randuir

Yeah, I'll give this one a go. The cytonics thing sounds pretty fun, since you don't know if you'll defend yourself from an elim or a friendly. But wouldn't somebody who is helpful to the village always defend themselves to keep from being killed by an elim?

Devon Halberdeen, geek and proud. He used to spend his free time reading books and wikipedia articles, but now that aliens are real, he's gotten a lot more involved in the scene. He would walk around hoping to find one, or practice using cytonics to make himself look cooler. He's socially awkward and not the most attractive, but he doesn't really care. Because aliens.

Yeah he's not going to survive long.

49 minutes ago, Bridge Boy said:

But wouldn't somebody who is helpful to the village always defend themselves to keep from being killed by an elim?

Not if being helpful to the village requires doing something instead of defending themselves.  And even if they defend against one individual, another could still kill them.

49 minutes ago, Yitzi2 said:

Not if being helpful to the village requires doing something instead of defending themselves.  And even if they defend against one individual, another could still kill them.

Though pre-game discussion isn't forbidden, might I suggest we leave this discussion till C1? There'll be little enough to discus in C1 without all the strategizing getting done pre-game :P.

Okay just finished reading the story! Why is Brandon Sanderson so talented lol...even his short stories suck you in! :P I loved it! @Sart thanks for this game (causing me to not be lazy and actually read some more lol)

I'll sign up as Raven.

Edit: just read the rules for the game now that I finished the short story. Wowzers, that's a lot of kill power :lol: looks like fun!

Edited by BrightnessRadiant

21 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

When does the game start?

I'll probably sign up. Hm... I want read the thing and come up with a character first though.

Sometime next week. I just got done with my internship, so I will have a lot more free time. I'm thinking Wednesday, the 21st.

21 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Oh, a question about Cytonics:

Can everyone use it, regardless of role (except that one role)? Also, is it a more than one-time use? Oh, and do the Aliens have any of the other roles, or are they just aliens?

Everyone can use Cytonics. You can use Cytonics as many times as you want. Aliens can have any role in the game.

21 hours ago, asterion137 said:

So if you use cytonics on an elim and you get elim-killed, does the elim die? Or does it have to be the person who sends in the elim order?

It has to be the person sending in the action. Cytonics only works if the player is targeting you with an action, in this case, the eliminator kill.

16 hours ago, randuir said:

Right, signing up as Tom Kress for this one. He was a pro-alien lobyist, but had to leave his political career after the news of aliens infiltrating human society broke and his motivations suddenly be came the subject of suspicion. He is, however, convinced that this is nothing more than a slanderous story made up by xenophobic activists, and intends to prove this.

edit: @Sart, how long are the cycles, and are PM's allowed?

edit2: if someone is killed by hitting a cytonic defense, is it revealed who was the defender?

Day and night cycles are 24 hours long. PMs are not allowed, because everyone is paranoid and trapped in a tight space. The defender will not be revealed.

12 hours ago, Yitzi2 said:

Question: What's the win condition for each team?

Also: What are the PM rules?

Standard win conditions: Aliens want to outnumber the Humans, and the Humans need to kill all the Aliens