Tars_Tarkas

Some Vasher musings

7 posts in this topic

Ok, my first post.

MISTCLOAKS
Since the first time I read about mistcloaks they seemed...  unnecessary.
The explanations to their existence are tenuous at best -

'It's colored and constructed to hide you in the mist,' Kelsier said. 'And it warns city guards and other Mistborn not to bother you.' He spun, letting the cloak flare dramatically. 'I think it suits me.' 

—Kelsier[1]

First of all - we're talking about mists. they hide and obscure shape anyway. At night, in the mists, I don't think the color or exact shape of the garment will make much difference.
Secondly, if the reason is to give warning - that this is a full mistborn and should not be trifled with - than we are talking about the exact opposite of camouflage.
The explanations contradict one another. They sound like rationalizations of a tradition with obscure beginning.
However... the design would be extremely useful to an awakener. 
Vasher is kinda like Hoid, thousands-of-years-old worldhopper, one the cosmere elite magic users.
We know that he can use Stormlight instead of Breath to sustain himself and Nightblood...
Could he also be an "ancient" allomancer?
Maybe he started the mistborn fashion of wearing Awakener's cloaks.

What do you think?
Edited by Tars_Tarkas

I think you're over complicating this. There's not much contradiction considering that there are exceptions to those who can see through the mists or encounter a mistborn. Mistcloaks obscure the wearer for most people but aren't helpful if the mistborn is seen by somebody using Allomantic tin or in close vicinity. 

In the case of encountering a fellow mistborn who can pierce the mists with tin, it lets them know that individual is equally powered and probably comparably skilled. For the city guards that run into a mistborn while patrolling the night, it lets them visually realize that they should just ignore the presumed noble because it's easier that way.

Hello there @Tars_Tarkas! Welcome to the 17th Shard! Happy to have you!

Vasher is an interesting topic, eh? One of the more prominent worldhoppers for sure. I love that you posted a theory and I apologize for taking shots at it haha. :) 

45 minutes ago, Tars_Tarkas said:

First of all - we're talking about mists. they hide and obscure shape anyway. At night, in the mists, I don't think the color or exact shape of the garment will make much dif

The color and shape of camouflage is quite important. Breaking up the human form into something the eye won't recognize is essential. You can read about ghillie suits as a read world analogy to the theory Kelsier is explaining here. Color is a bit less important but, again, still very much an integral part of camouflage. I expect a bright pink Mistcloak would be less helpful, eh? :)

Secondly, if the reason is to give warning - that this is a full mistborn and should not be trifled with - than we are talking about the exact opposite

Camouflage is not invisibility so, if the hiding aspect of the Mistcloak fails then it becomes a symbol of authority and power. Perhaps the two explanations are not contradictory but, rather, are more of a layered response. If layer 1 (the camouflage) fails then layer 2 (the symbol of authority) takes over.

However... the design would be extremely useful to an awakener.

Agree... to an extent. While the tassels on a Mistcloak would aid the Awakener with certain commands it would also, probably, increase the amount of breath required to Awaken the cloak as the tassels do not help make the cloak more human shaped. Remember, Vasher's clothes/cloak had tassels that appeared as the legs/arms of a person - a Mistcloak has so many tassels I would think it would make Awakening it harder.

Vasher is kinda like Hoid, thousands-of-years-old worldhopper, one the cosmere elite magic users.

Vasher is not thousands of years old in our current timeline. As of the Stormlight Archive he is, most likely, anywhere from 400 - 700 years old (give or take a bit - see this section of the Coppermind or this post). As far as I am aware, Warbreaker, the book, takes place after Hero of Ages. Now, in Warbreaker, we think Vasher Returned about 300 years before the start of that book so it is possible Vasher visited Scadrial before the events in Mistborn era 1 but it seems that Mistcloaks have been around for a long time so it is doubtful Vasher started the tradition. If anything, it is more probable that Vasher got the idea for his cloak from seeing Mistborn haha!

46 minutes ago, Tars_Tarkas said:

We know that he can use Stormlight instead of Breath to sustain himself and Nightblood...

One small caveat, I do not think we are sure that Vasher could use Stormlight to sustain Nightblood with his current understanding of how to use Stormlight. Granted, I think it is entirely probable Vasher could but I just wanted to point out that I am not sure this has been confirmed. Vasher can use it to feed his Divine Breath.

48 minutes ago, Tars_Tarkas said:

Could he also be an "ancient" allomancer?

Doubtful. Beyond the earlier reasoning that Vasher isn't really that old, I think we would have seen hints from Brandon that Vasher could use Allomancy. It would be really, really weird if Vasher gained Allomantic powers before the events in Warbreaker but never used them against Denth & Crew.

Anywho, I might be off on some of my points so don't just take my word for it! Keep searching out WoBs (words of Brandon) to help you flesh out your theories. Thanks for posting!

Thank you, guys, for pointing out mistakes and generally finding the weak links :)
It would be cool if vasher got the idea from mistcloaks

I read through this and thought "What Zahel is this guy thinking!"

I'm sorry ... I'll leave now

Enough with the jokes, I thought this was an interesting idea but I rationalized it to a long time spent with other skilled awakeners and time to perfect his craft. Great first idea though, you deserve an upvote for it

On 6/14/2017 at 2:09 PM, Tars_Tarkas said:

Vasher is kinda like Hoid, thousands-of-years-old worldhopper, one the Cosmere elite magic users. [..]
Could he also be an "ancient" Allomancer?
Maybe he started the Mistborn fashion of wearing Awakener's cloaks.

On 6/14/2017 at 3:01 PM, CaptainRyan said:

If anything, it is more probable that Vasher got the idea for his cloak from seeing Mistborn haha!

Vasher has never been to Scadrial.

"Q: Has Vasher ever been to a world other than Nalthis or Roshar, or was this his first time worldhopping?

A: Vasher has only been to Roshar and Nalthis, beyond places in Shadesmar."

Ryan is correct about his age, Vasher returned around the same time as the other 4 Scholars(IIRC), and before returning, he lived a normal human life, which includes a normal human lifespan. Given that he died, he probably didn't have the longevity granted by the 5th Heightening.

That said, it's definitely a connection I haven't made before, so props to you for that Tars.

Thank you! :)
I have'nt even read every cosmere book, let alone delved into the WoB crypts

5 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Vasher has never been to Scadrial.

Ryan is correct about his age, Vasher returned around the same time as the other 4 Scholars(IIRC), and before returning, he lived a normal human life, which includes a normal human lifespan. Given that he died, he probably didn't have the longevity granted by the 5th Heightening.

That said, it's definitely a connection I haven't made before, so props to you for that Tars.