If a worldhopper gives birth (and/or gets pregnant) on Nalthis...

Necessary Eagle

1 minute ago, Necessary Eagle said:

...would the kid be born with Breath?

If a Worldhopper had kids with a native of Nalthis, there's this and this: (they are both in the "it's possible" category, no express confirmation)

Chaos

If a Lerasium Mistborn traveled to, say, Nalthis, fell in love and had kids with a native Nalthian, would those kids be Allomancers? Or something else?

Brandon Sanderson

In most cases, they would still be Allomancers. Mixed, potentially, with something else depending on the native innate investiture. That mixture could do some strange things, though.

Shardlet

If a Scadrian allomancer had a baby with a Nalthian (and the baby was born on Nalthis), could the baby have an original Breath and also be a Natural allomancer?

Brandon Sanderson

It could happen, the baby would have a bit of Preservation and a bit of Endowment.

If an already pregnant Worldhopper gave birth on Nalthis, we don't know because of this:

Question

In Nalthis, when is Breath first bestowed upon a person? I’m wondering if mothers have [another Breath in their bodies during pregnancy? source of Breath in their bodies? Much [control?] over their own bodies when it comes to Breath? - uncertain] Is that where it comes from?

Brandon Sanderson

When is Breath first bestowed? Uh, so I will, oh, so you’re getting at this sort of… I got it. [laughter, pause] So, what you’re saying is, birth or conception? Yes. Uh, I’m going to go ahead and RAFO that one for… let’s just let it… let’s let… let’s let the fanbase discuss that one and come to their own decisions.

Until we know if breath is bestowed at birth or conception, we can't answer your question.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

I think when a pregnant mother dies in brave fashion (or whatever), that mother is allowed to return either herself of the baby. This is why we sometimes get returned babies.

I'm pretty sure that Returned babies are stillborn and then Return. I don't think the mother actually dies, as Susebron remembers his biological mother, and Bluefingers (and/or the Court) would believe that she bears the next God King if she got pregnant. That doesn't really imply dying in my book.

On 6/24/2017 at 3:53 PM, FiveLate said:

Darn....now I am wondering if a clone would have innate breath.....

Here.

"Q: If you cloned someone using real life technology (so not magic) would they have a normal Cognitive and Spiritual make up or be something like a Drab?

A: Cloning would most likely work like creating a twin--the body would pull Investiture for a soul, and you probably wouldn't have a drab. Though it would be possible to do it in such a way that you did create one, if you're simply working from our current cloning technology, you'd get a fully invested human being."

21 minutes ago, FiveLate said:

@The One Who Connects. My reddit-fu is non-existent, so many thanks.  I assume the implication is that cloning a drab would result in about her drab.... 

I don't think so actually. He's referencing it off of current technology, so I believe that cloning anyone, drab or not would create an embryo that is genetically identical to the original. That would then develop in utero and receive its allotted Breath regardless of the amount of Breath or lack thereof that the original had.

Edited by Calderis

4 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I don't think so actually. He's referencing it off of current technology, so I believe that cloning anyone, drab or not would create an embryo that is genetically identical to the original. That would then develop in uterine and receive its allotted Breath regardless of the amount of Breath or lack thereof that the original had.

That just makes me think of evil baby cloning factories making brainwashed children, teaching then 1 single phrase, then disposing of the bodies.

Or spiking them for the breath at the earliest stage possible, to return the breath to the original.

Edited by FiveLate
Continuation.

• Chaos locked this topic