Similarities between Cosmere characters

Cel

Have you noticed how similar Cosmere characters are? As I read, I noticed these in particular:

Breeze=Roial
Older men who are smart and slightly manipulative

Rock=Kiin

Big man who likes to cook

Ham=Galladon

Big guy who is always there for the main character

Shallan=Sarene

Smart foreign princess who leaves to marry a prince

Vin=Kaladin

Has faced oppresion, still doesn't trust most people

Vasher=Szeth

Dangerous man with a big sword

Iadon=Straff Venture

Jerk who hates their son

Redin=Zane

illegitimate son of an evil guy; is slightly insane

Have any more? Post them and share your ideas!

Edited by Kaladinwillumarryme?

1 hour ago, Kaladinwillumarryme? said:

Grew up oppressed, still doesn't trust most people

The level of oppression that Kaladin suffered is nowhere comparable to the amount Vin suffered. One had a loving household but was in an environment of religious people who resented him because of his higher-birth, the other one was raised in the streets, constantly abused, and suffered every day.

1 hour ago, Kaladinwillumarryme? said:

illegitimate son of an evil guy; is slightly insane

I never got the impression of evil from Highprince Valam.

4 minutes ago, FiveLate said:

Well there are only so many types of characters out there and Brandon does a better job of avoiding the usual tropes than most.

I read a WOB were he addressed a lot of this by pointing out the specific flaws each character held that resulted in some external similarities, but I can't seem to find it now...

Exactly. If you want to speak broadly enough any two characters have similarities. I think Brandon does a good job of distinction between characters. I can't think of any of his characters that you see with any level of detail that are a renamed version of another. 

Hey, this is interesting. Even if BS didn't do this on purpose, it's still pretty interesting. And she is just pointing out the similarities between characters, not that they are the same person. I mean, how could Kaladin be Vin.

Edited by Smart Sloth

8 minutes ago, Smart Sloth said:

Hey, this is interesting. Even if BS didn't do this on purpose, it's still pretty interesting. And she is just pointing out the similarities between characters, not that they are the same person. I mean, how could Kaladin be Vin.

It wasn’t a personal attack. We just disagree. 

OK, first off, I didn't post this as a way to criticize BS's characters, I was simply pointing out similarities.

Also, I want to reword something:

"Has faced oppression" as opposed to "grew up oppressed"

I can't help noticing a similarity among Sarene, Shallan, and Vivenna. All modest, devout young women of noble birth, who start the book by arriving in a strange city. All are motivated by obligations to the families they left behind, whom they love deeply -- including an affectionate patriarch who tries to keep in touch, but can't help much (Eventeo, Balat, Dedelin).

And all three are bamboozled by a man who hides his true motives and identity -- Raoden, Kabsal, and Denth, respectively.

Oh! And all three are partnered with a splinter -- Ashe, Pattern, and Nightblood (briefly).

Like @Kaladinwillumarryme?, I'm not criticizing. Just observing a pattern. 

Look, if we're doing that, can I point out Kelsier fits the mythological trickster archetype almost perfectly? Cunning and charismatic? Check. Connections to life and death? Check. Connection to independence from controlling deities? Check. Brings knowledge and change? Check. He's even got the fire connection, since he burns metals. And the Mists could be a water link... He'd fit right in with our terrestrial tricksters. 

Oddly, Hoid doesn't fit as well, which I find fascinating. Though if you want similar characters... Hoid and Kell are very much alike (and, unsurprisingly, loathe each other.) Don't tell them I said that though! [Hides from murderous worldhoppers.] I'm fairly certain that one's intentional however....

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

• Chaos locked this topic