The World of Tenov-Worldbuilding project

Dragon314

Hey, @The Flash, if you're still looking for a reason why the Kraut are leaving the valleys, I came up with a creature that might provide answer to that question.

There are usually caves in mountains, right? Sometimes those caves can form long systems of caverns connected together in complex patterns.

Well, my idea was that Giant cave spiders, maybe three-five feet tall and four-seven feet long, live in those cave systems. Maybe some of them left the caves in search of food and found the valleys. If they came out at night, they could easily spin large webs to try and catch prey with little to no interference.

The webs can be dissolved by acid, though without an enzyme found in the spiders venom/saliva it can take days to fully dissolve. Given this situation, the Kraut would start getting captured in the webs. Within a few months the spiders would begin to completely overwhelm the Kraut, forcing them to flee the valleys.

The reason the spiders can't follow is due to the cold temperature of the mountain at high altitudes. I'd need to explain how they survived in the cave if this idea works, but hey. It's a work in progress.

What do you think?

Edited by ShadowLord_Lith

47 minutes ago, ShadowLord_Lith said:

Hey, @The Flash, if you're still looking for a reason why the Kraut are leaving the valleys, I came up with a creature that might provide answer to that question.

There are usually caves in mountains, right? Sometimes those caves can form long systems of caverns connected together in complex patterns.

Well, my idea was that Giant cave spiders, maybe three-five feet tall and four-seven feet long, live in those cave systems. Maybe some of them left the caves in search of food and found the valleys. If they came out at night, they could easily spin large webs to try and catch prey with little to no interference.

The webs can be dissolved by acid, though without an enzyme found in the spiders venom/saliva it can take days to fully dissolve. Given this situation, the Kraut would start getting captured in the webs. Within a few months the spiders would begin to completely overwhelm the Kraut, forcing them to flee the valleys.

The reason the spiders can't follow is due to the cold temperature of the mountain at high altitudes. I'd need to explain how they survived in the cave if this idea works, but hey. It's a work in progress.

What do you think?

I love it! An upvote for you.

17 minutes ago, The Flash said:

What if the caves aren't cold? Perhaps the mountains are volcanic.

Perfect! That would also explain why the webs are so tough, the have to withstand decades of constant heat and or contact with magma. Now I just need to work on what they were originally feeding on... I'll be back in a minute!:D 

On 6/14/2017 at 4:12 PM, ShadowLord_Lith said:

I'll try to figure out how they can survive the cold of the caves but not the cold of the mountains.

On 6/14/2017 at 4:51 PM, The Flash said:

What if the caves aren't cold? Perhaps the mountains are volcanic.

Caves, volcanic or not, aren't typically cold or hot. Most caves stay at a comfortable 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit year-round.

Hey guys I just had a thought so far this world seems to follow many of the same architypes of Earth. There's Mammals, Reptiles Amphibians etc. but why does there have to be only the standard ones? So I am introducing a potential new kind of animal, the Floras! This particular section in the animal kingdom is made up of plants that have gained sentience more advanced shapes and much faster metabolism. I think that one of the coolest possibilities with making new Kingdoms of animals would be how these new architypes would reproduce. Mammals have live young, Reptiles, Amphibians, Insects and Birds lay eggs, but i'm sure more ways could be created. Let me know what you think about making new types of animal!

4 hours ago, Cosmere Savant said:

Hey guys I just had a thought so far this world seems to follow many of the same architypes of Earth. There's Mammals, Reptiles Amphibians etc. but why does there have to be only the standard ones? So I am introducing a potential new kind of animal, the Floras! This particular section in the animal kingdom is made up of plants that have gained sentience more advanced shapes and much faster metabolism. I think that one of the coolest possibilities with making new Kingdoms of animals would be how these new architypes would reproduce. Mammals have live young, Reptiles, Amphibians, Insects and Birds lay eggs, but i'm sure more ways could be created. Let me know what you think about making new types of animal!

Well, if the Floras are made up of plants... you know how some some plants like spider plants reproduce when parts of their stems grow roots and then the baby plant is separated from the parent plant by cutting that stem? It could be some reproduction like that.

Name: Tanine, Canis Lignum

Animal Kingdom: Floras

Description: Canis Lignum or the Tanine as it is more commonly called is a small plant-beast belonging to the Floras Family. Vaguely resembeling a dog the Tanine is made up of hundreds of thousands of vines all interwoven and twisted together in such a way as to make it nearly impossible to tell the creature is not solid, in fact for 10 years after it's discovery it was not known that the Tanine was made of vines it was thought to be solid just like every other kind of animal. In the wild Tanine cannot consciuslly control these vines but they do react to their emotions. When a Tanine feels hostile or threatened it will disconect a few vines at one end raising them into the air and waving them about to appear larger, and when a Tanine feels content or happy it will gently thrum it's vines creating a dull hum similair to that of a cat's purr. Canis Lignum's reproduction system is to our knowledge unique and quiet a site to behold. Firstly Males congregate in certain areas that never change from year to year they will always meet at these spots which are always deep in the forest. The Males will then run off in pursuit of worthy prey those who bring back the most impressive kill will recieve the best mates. Once mated a Male and a Female will journey far from this proving ground into they are fairly isololated here they will begin to mate. The mating process has 3 stages the first is called Unraveling stage (or to commoners the Chaotic Ball of Yarn stage) in which the Male and Female will both unravel their vines turning them from carefully crafted plant-dogs into Chaotic Balls of Yarn (see above). Once this is accomplished Melding stage begins and the Male and Female will meld together grabbing eachothers vines with their own untill an onlooker cannot distinguish between the two. Next comes the Tree stage, this is by far the longest of the stages and can take as long as 3 months until it is complete, in this phase the Male and Female that have been melded together will slowly rise up into the shape of a large green tree perfect in every shapely aspect save color. Then over the course of the 3 months fruit will begin to grow and ripen on the trees branches once ripe they will fall to the ground splitting open to reveal a new Tanine. Once all fruit has been shed from it's branches the Tree will slowly diminish in size as it's children suck it's sap from it's roots. Eventually it dies and by this time it's young have grown strong on it's sap and are fully mature Tannine.

Discoverer: Charles Tannine

Date of Discovery: (25 years ago according to whatever calendar this plaace uses :-))

Edited by Cosmere Savant

Name: Medusa Tree, Vinae Anguis

Animal Kingdom: Floras

Description: The Medusa Tree or Vinae Anguis is a plant-beast that has been so exaggerated by wandering travelers that there reputation has grown far beyond the truth. But not by much, the deadly Medusa Trees are truly fearsome enemies especially because of their rarity, you never know if they're sneaking up on you. The Medusa Tree itself is really just a hub a central point of a vast complex that can span dozens of miles and in one record case a Medusa Tree with a 103.2 radius was discovered. The hub is not so different looking from a regular tree save for a large face in the center of the tree. Similarly to how an aspen it can put up stems from it's root systems the Medusa tree can extend shoots from it's root systems but in the Medusa Tree's case these shoots are tinged with poisonous spines. Since the Medusa Tree can span such a large range whole forests have been declared off limits due to a Medusa Tree infestation. Those brave enough to get o the Medusa Tree's hub will be met with needle sharp branches and a ground writhing with roots that make the ground tremble. The Medusa Tree is also capable of 'corrupting' other trees while this is extremely difficult for it, it usually makes a point of doing this as all 'corrupted' trees act as the Tree's eyes and ears that are out of her direct line of sight (while most Medusa Trees are called 'she' this is not always the case). The Medusa Tree despite it's dangerous prospect has become the focus point of many groups, guilds and even cultures. Those involved in these groups in exchange for a few goats and cows gain the right to 'run the forest' the challenge behind this is to get to the central hub clearing without dying. An agreement set up with the Medusa Tree then allows the adventurer to venture out of her woods without fear of reprisal if they got to her. Those who succeed are viewed with a sense of elitism and they are given incredible respect. 

Discoverer: He is lost to the annals of history

Date of Discovery: Also lost

@Hemalurgic_Headshot and @Cosmere Savant  Is it OK if I put some Tanine in Ketawri? I know that they do the mating process deep in the forest and Ketawri doesn't have forests, but the idea that they form tree like structures in the same place would kind of work with this region's constantly shifting landscape. A tree popping up every now and then would confuse people who aren't used to the land.

Edited by ryshadium90

On 6/25/2017 at 3:33 PM, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

I think these Floras would fit right in at Akalani. Just in the jungle and all. Is that alright?

Yes. Definetly! :-)

On 6/25/2017 at 3:52 PM, ryshadium90 said:

@Hemalurgic_Headshot and @Cosmere Savant  Is it OK if I put some Tanine in Ketawri? I know that they do the mating process deep in the forest and Ketawri doesn't have forests, but the idea that they form tree like structures in the same place would kind of work with this region's constantly shifting landscape. A tree popping up every now and then would confuse people who aren't used to the land.

I'm not sure if it would work out, having Tanine in the desert/tundra but if you can make it work more power to yah! :-) Maybe a different breed of Tanine would work.

Edited by Cosmere Savant

Name: Evertree, Arbor Pastorem

Family: Floras

Description: Arnor Pastorem (Evertrees) are the guardians of the deep woods. Wherever there is forest that is deep and dark and quiet you will find them there. These majestic wonders of the woods are vaguely manlike in shape standing tall on two study legs and using long branchlike arms. These plant-men patrol these deep portions of the woods driving out all those humans who would kill it's trees or animals. Those who dare enter a forest patrolled by these vicious guardians take care that he does not come near you. The Evertrees are unique among the entire Floras family as they have some slight sentience. Those who have managed to befriend these majestic plant-men have reported that  they even have a religion that none of them are ever told but the knowledge is passed down generation to generation mind to mind. It centers aroud THE Evertree. The Evertree it is said was the first living thing on the world sprouting alone from the soul it grew taller then any tree had ever grown and will ever grow it's towering leaves brushed the stars in the heavens and stretched where they air grew thin riveling some mountains. The tree grew until it touched the sun, drawing the sun's enery from it the tree inhaled the power of life itself and so it awoke. That day when it partook of the sun's power it shook itself and looked about itself as the power of life flowed through it. It saw nothing but endless oceans of dirt and water with nothing to break the monotony and so it shared it's power spreading it out over the world like a blanket covering it in it's vibrant energy. Grass grew trees popped up and animals began for the first time to wander the earth. But this had a price the Evertree in giving up the life force that had sustained it died and shared it's final energy with her children the trees. Those endowed with the most power regained her old gift that of thought and movement. These were the first of the modern Evertrees who have taken their name from their first Mother. When it is time for them to die they send the life power that they had used in life to another tree young giving it to life and thought just like their first Mother and so the numbers of the Evertrees are set never to change except to diminish. 

Discoverer: The first recording of an Evertree sighting was by Edward von Castinite but they were likely discovered much earlier

Date of Discovery: The date at wich Edward con Castinite recorded seeing an Evertree in his journal is dated almost a millenium ago.

Name: Spirit, Lucem Vitae

Family: Anima

Description: Spirits exist on every continent in every region in every town in every home. These spherical balls of golden light are an omnipresent force on Tenov and no matter where you go they will be there. Spirits are held with a great deal of superstition and have becpome a part of many religions. They are worshipped as deities, cursed as devils and viewed as the souls of those past on. This last one is the most common belief as whenever something dies on Tenov it's body will disolve into glowing motes of light which will drift away on unseen winds, these will later grow larger and become full Spirits. Spirits are the base of the Anima family and particularly powerfuly Spirits act as magnets drawing other Spirits to them, if it can congregate enough Spirits to itself it will Ascend and take on a higher state of being. While Spirits are generally thought of as our ancestors they really are just another species of animal.

Discoverer: People have known about them since the beginning of recorded history

Date of Discovery: The begining of recorded history

Spoiler

Name: Aure, Lux Dryadalis

Class: Primum

Description: Aure are Lux Dryadalis are members of the Anima family and Primum class meaning that they are a mere one step above Spirits having Ascended just one time. They are very short humanoid creatures with hands that brush the ground and ears as large as their head. Rather stupid and mischevious their character is completely incongrous to their pure white and lusterous skin. While Aure have Ascended one more time then Spirits they have not left behind there previous love of consuming other Spirits which they also need to Ascend. While they are hated and often turned away in fear of some malicious practical joke Aure are unmatched climbers capable of scaling any surface no matter how shear of slick. One Aure was seen climbing a castle wall that had been coated in thousands of gallons of vegetable oil. Unfortunately for most people this also means that Aure can get into their homes and steal their belongings. Every Aure has a stash somewhere where he hoards his 'collected' items like a squirel stores nuts. If he catches someone robbing his store he will attack with unbrideled fury and passion. To quote the old saying "Hell hath no fury like an Aure who catches a thief"

Discoverer: Henry

Date of Discovery: 2103 (I think that's a date here :-))

Spoiler

Name: LacertBrachium Anguis

Class: Primum

Description: Bracium Anguis (Musucs) are one Ascension up from Spirits, cousins to the Aure. Many people ask how can you tell what a Spirit will Ascend to an Aure a Lacerti or something else. The answer is it's impossible to tell, when an Anima Ascends it will ascend to a random being of higher Class. Lacerti of course are Class Primum and like all Primum they are not the smartest of beasts. Their lack of intelligence can be attributed to their small head which rests in the center of their back. Their main body sits parallel to the ground and forms a vague circle with it's head directly in the center. Along the border of it's body theLacerti has four long arms ending in brutish 7 fingered hands capable of crushing small rocks. The Lacerti is one of the strongest animals known to man, it's wide back and strange head placement ideal for a beast of war. ManyLacerti are tamed, trained in death and prohibited contact with Spirits so as not to Ascend.

Discoverer: Henry

Date of Discovery: 2104

Spoiler

Name: Vola, Missa Lux

Family: Anima

Class: Primum

Description: Volan are small white spheres that look just like Spirits but smaller. Out of all Anima Primum Volan are the smartest and the only ones to retain their predecessor's ability of flight. Very similar to gnats Volan are small things that can take days to digest a single Spirit. Volan despite their tiny size have a surprising amount of strength allowing them to unlock doors or chests, lift leaves of other light things and even deliver a fair punch to the face with a running start. However a Volan's most valuable asset is it's superior intelligence to other Anima Primum's which intelligence is devoted mostly to memory. A Volan's ability to remember places, dates, conversations, names, blueprints and pictures is truly incredible allowing them to remember in detail entiere days that happened to them years ago.

Discoverer: Henry

Date of Discovery: 2076

Edited by Cosmere Savant