The World of Tenov-Worldbuilding project

Dragon314

58 minutes ago, Dragon314 said:

So how tall are they? Just for interactions with different species.

Also, everyone who wants to should put this in their signature so we can get more participants.

Actually, they're the size of albatrosses, which I'm going to use as my base model. I can't tell you how big they are now, but I can find it later.

The birds mostly live in costal areas. They use air magic to help them fly long distances, and will ferry goods across oceans -- at a cost.

Are we going to write stories for this, or is it just worldbuilding?

So we just... add whatever we want to the wiki. Dang. I feel like God. 

DRAGONS. Little ones. Maybe. Or a dragon rider community? I've always wanted to make something like that (especially one that turns out better than Eragon). 

So my region would be highly mountainus. Mountainous. However you spell that. Isolated dragon riders. Dragons have developed a symbiotic relationship with the humans there (I guess I should make them humans). Dragons are better adapted to hunting. But humans are better at protecting the whole, and so humans will protect the young of everyone. Dragons struggle to take care of things, and the relationship with the humans has increased their population. They bond for life. I guess maybe telepathy? No magic for now. 

Edited by The Flash

12 minutes ago, The Flash said:

So my region would be highly mountainus. Mountainous. However you spell that. Isolated dragon riders. Dragons have developed a symbiotic relationship with the humans there (I guess I should make them humans). Dragons are better adapted to hunting. But humans are better at protecting the whole, and so humans will protect the young of everyone. Dragons struggle to take care of things, and the relationship with the humans has increased their population. They bond for life. I guess maybe telepathy? No magic for now. 

1-try to be original, dragon riders is okay, but focus on why and how they're bonding.

2-Try to not make the dragons op. please. Maybe the size of a car at the most. There can't be that many of them either.

I'm thinking that my region, Ketawri, will be half desert and half glacial. I was going to have the people their have their culture based on an ancient Olympic games kind of deal, but since humans aren't as kingdom oriented then I'll have some creatures do the race courses and other activities that take place throughout the regions (determine status, eating, traveling, magic, marital, etc.) and have a few humans as their idea of a "pet". Like a guru who they all protect and honor.

Edited by ryshadium90

Just now, ryshadium90 said:

I'm thinking that my region, Ketawri, will be half desert and half glacial. I was going to have the people their have their culture based on an ancient Olympic games kind of deal, but since humans aren't as abundant, then I'll have some creatures do the race courses and other activities that take place throughout the regions (determine status, eating, traveling, magic, marital, etc.) and have a few humans as their idea of a "pet". Like a guru who they all protect and honor.

Sounds interesting. What kind of creatures? 

Added a map to Ariekanar (Region 1) that I think is pretty sweet.

Region 5, the flash? If you're god you definitely are a distracted god (Sazed!)

1 minute ago, Dragon314 said:

Sounds interesting. What kind of creatures?

I was thinking on the lines of a quadruped with fur/feathers depending on the region. But a winged creature also has possibilities. Or a slithering creature. Work in progress. Will probably end up looking up Pokemon for inspiration.

Cool.

And guys, this is by no means a "It's my region, don't touch!" Thing. Like, if you want to add a tropical fruit, or a water animal, or something else, to region 2 islands, GO FOR IT. I don't think i'm the only one who thinks a fifth of the world is a lot to deal with.

I'm changing the name of the bird species to the satori. They nest only in the Holaki Islands, and do not take kindly to having other creatures in or near their nesting sites, even friendly ones.

What level of technology will this world have? I'm thinking that the satori buy lots of tools and things that have to be made, because they don't have the dexterity to build a lot of things.

They mostly eat fish, squid, and shrimp. In addition, satori that travel by cities frequently will also eat human food. Some satori have started using aquaculture, but I haven't decided how widespread this is. The way it works is that a bunch of fish are put in a cage that floats in the ocean. The cage lets water pass through freely, but not the fish. The top of the cage has a hatch that satori open so they can dive in and catch the fish.

Technology will most likely vary on region.

For example, on Akalani humans are fairly rare and undeveloped. Most of the world is just coming into the iron age. No plate, chainmail has probably been invented. 

@The Flash if I don't hear back from you I'm opening region 5. 

4 hours ago, Dragon314 said:

For example, on Akalani humans are fairly rare and undeveloped. Most of the world is just coming into the iron age. No plate, chainmail has probably been invented. 

@The Flash if I don't hear back from you I'm opening region 5. 

Hello I'm here. I apologize in dealing with some family stuff at the moment, only just got on. Also, I may or may not have no idea how to edit a wiki. So I'm teaching myself. 

These dragons will be more like pern dragons. I'd say maybe 1000 of them tops, they only live in the mountains, and the society of dragon riders is small (in terms of overall population). 

I'm also trying to come up with a predator for the dragons that would be why they came to the humans for bonding reasons. Perhaps a Roc? Nah. I need to come up with something new. 

Anyway, dragons will at the largest be school-bus sized, in terms of body size. Most will be large van sized, not counting wing span and tail length. No magical powers, no fire, but they do have nasty claws, teeth, excellent eyesight, and all that stuff. Also, tough scales. As for their predator I keep having an image of a giant purple dragonfly but I fail to see what that would be doing in some mountains. 

Edited by The Flash

4 hours ago, Dragon314 said:

I actually had an idea for a colonial England- sort of place that would sent explorers out to the wonderful world and drink tea, etc.

In the Diaemus project, magic was discussed early on. They said that it would be best to settle on overarching rules and themes, similar to what Sel has. Then everyone can develop unique, localized strains. So:

1. What types of magic will this world have? Is it passive? Active?

2. How rare is magic?

3. What limits and/or costs does magic have?

@The Flash, what if there was something that ate the eggs of the dragons?

6 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

In the Diaemus project, magic was discussed early on. They said that it would be best to settle on overarching rules and themes, similar to what Sel has. Then everyone can develop unique, localized strains. So:

2. How rare is magic?

@The Flash, what if there was something that ate the eggs of the dragons?

I was thinking of that (that was something done in the dragons of pern series). The humans will be low tech, and I'm considering an "animal spirit magic system" thing of some sort. 

Also I need to give this largely mountainous region a name. How about Liesh-Tor. 

Edited by The Flash

3 minutes ago, The Flash said:

I was thinking of that (that was something done in the dragons of pern series). The humans will be low tech, and I'm considering an "animal spirit magic system" thing of some sort. 

If we're going on an animal theme, perhaps humans could be the only species without magic, and have to bond with animals to get magic or use artificial devices?

4 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

If we're going on an animal theme, perhaps humans could be the only species without magic, and have to bond with animals to get magic or use artificial devices?

Mmm interesting. That would give greater reason for the dragon bond. 

I've got it! They're called the Kraut. Its a big hedgehog-panther thing with acid spit. The Kraut and the Dragons are both apex predators, both hunt each others young, and basically are at a standoff until the humans come along. 

The reason that 2 apex predators got involved is because in the mountains there are some extremely fertile valleys. These have their own ecosystem, topped by the Kraut. Normally the dragons and kraut don't get involved with one another. But the valleys are dying for... reasons. And the dragons are losing ground to the kraut  (because the acid spit thing melts their wing-skin). Then the humans, already naturally expanding, come across the situation and start bonding with the dragons to give them an edge. 

Edited by The Flash

14 minutes ago, The Flash said:

I've got it! They're called the Kraut. Its a big hedgehog-panther thing with acid spit. The Kraut and the Dragons are both apex predators, both hunt each others young, and basically are at a standoff until the humans come along. 

The reason that 2 apex predators got involved is because in the mountains there are some extremely fertile valleys. These have their own ecosystem, topped by the Kraut. Normally the dragons and kraut don't get involved with one another. But the valleys are dying for... reasons. And the dragons are losing ground to the kraut  (because the acid spit thing melts their wing-skin). Then the humans, already naturally expanding, come across the situation and start bonding with the dragons to give them an edge. 

Great! The idea of two apex predators is cool. Region 5 should be developed a bit, then we can add that in. I have some ideas for things that could be preyed upon by dragons.

2. How rare is magic?

So far, we have amulets and creatures as the only magic in-world. This suggests some holdover from a past age. Perhaps we could have @Hemalurgic_Headshot throw some ruins in the jungles of region four to suggest that magic was once common.

Edited by Dragon314